Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sell to buy

I don't follow you there, can you give an example of how that would work? The way I think it works is that if we paid, say £1m for Will, for a 4 year contract, we'd write off £250k each year. Once he's sold, we could use the £250k that we were writing off and put it towards something/someone else. And we could put his wages towards someone else too.

The annual operating loss is stated after charging/crediting any profit or loss on player trading; this is the sale price received less any unamortised portion of the player's original purchase price (ie £250k in your example). There's no longer any amortisation attributable to WB in 2014/15 but in the accounts the profit on his sale will appear as the sale price less this £250k of residual amortisation.

I once posted on here that some of the club staff and people associated with the club play a little game.

The game involves telling people complete untruths and seeing how long it takes for it to be posted on here.

It serves the purpose of identifying the people who can be trusted.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I once posted on here that some of the club staff and people associated with the club play a little game.

The game involves telling people complete untruths and seeing how long it takes for it to be posted on here.

It serves the purpose of identifying the people who can be trusted.

So evidently they can't trust you then.......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The annual operating loss is stated after charging/crediting any profit or loss on player trading; this is the sale price received less any unamortised portion of the player's original purchase price (ie £250k in your example). There's no longer any amortisation attributable to WB in 2014/15 but in the accounts the profit on his sale will appear as the sale price less this £250k of residual amortisation.
Oh yes, I see what you were referring to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Isn't it time they started playing it with someone other than BG?

Oh yes, I see what you were referring to.
Sorry if I was unclear in my earlier post. In the case of Ulloa the residual amortisation will be considerably more than £250k (around £1m perhaps) because of his higher purchase price and the time still remaining on his BHA contract when he joined Leicester. Then there's the possibility of sell-on fees due to Almeira and Watford (for WB). How on earth did someone come up with a figure of £12m anyway?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well he already spends a tens of millions funding and paying the wages for the existing squad. If you mean over and above that on transfer fees this summer as well then we didn't need anything like that to challenge for the top 6 in 2 seasons out of the last 3. and nor did most of the other top 6 teams in last decade. So why is £25m the magic figure. ? Why not £10m or £40m ?
Did Burnley last year need to spend that much or Palace the year before ? Ipswich might well be promoted this season but have spent a lot less than Albion. ? How much have Bournemouth spent on transfer fees in the last 12 months ? So is the answer to spend the same as them ?

You're right, there is no specific number, my number was based on we're spending what we're spending and have a poor squad, poor results and no reason for that to change. Based on the sort of players people feel we need we will have to change at least six core players and I would estimate that would need around £25m in fees, agents and wages to aceheive? As you say though this could be £10m or £40m, bottom line is we're not going to challenge with what we have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was suggested to me yesterday that we have to sell 2 or 3 players before we can but any
So then, we've bought Tomer Hemed, and signed Liam Rosenior (decent signing). Who are the 2 or 3 that we've sold?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The transfer window hasnt opened yet and we have got shot of some high earners and mercenaries.so dont jump the gun. We have spent on those 2 a very small % pf what we have received during the last 12 months for players. Good business as regards Rosenior and remains to be seen if Hermed is a success, only time will tell. But then I would expect you to try to pick holes in a suggested rumour, not fact made some weeks ago. The situation as regards the euro etc has unexpectedly changed drastically in the last few weeks making buys from Europe cheaper. It was suggested Hemed had a buy out clause but no body was certain if it was £1m or 1m euros a difference of about ££200k. I did ask the question had anybody else heard the same rather than say it was gospel.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
L
The transfer window hasnt opened yet and we have got shot of some high earners and mercenaries.so dont jump the gun. We have spent on those 2 a very small % pf what we have received during the last 12 months for players. Good business as regards Rosenior and remains to be seen if Hermed is a success, only time will tell. But then I would expect you to try to pick holes in a suggested rumour, not fact made some weeks ago. The situation as regards the euro etc has unexpectedly changed drastically in the last few weeks making buys from Europe cheaper. It was suggested Hemed had a buy out clause but no body was certain if it was £1m or 1m euros a difference of about ££200k. I did ask the question had anybody else heard the same rather than say it was gospel.

Didn't we get extra money for Leicester staying up? That's Hemed's fee taken care of.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We now have 4 strikers on our books. May I be so bold to suggest that if another is signed - we may have to sell one of our existing ones; starting with the almighty Clunge.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We now have 4 strikers on our books. May I be so bold to suggest that if another is signed - we may have to sell one of our existing ones; starting with the almighty Clunge.
There was a mention in the argus a while back that a different Spanish club to the one that Colunga was loaned to was interested in signing him. That has all gone quiet though.

I suspect that because he can play as a 2nd striker, and as a winger, that Murphy is the intended Colunga replacement.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The situation as regards the euro etc has unexpectedly changed drastically in the last few weeks making buys from Europe cheaper.

Nice try, but the rate on the 1st May when you started this thread, was 1.36. It's now 1.40. A difference on £1m of £21k

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Let's not forget that, in addition to the 2 signings made, we've also had a £1.5m bid accepted for another player - one that plays in a different position - that would have been completed last week if the player had accepted our terms.

Seems BG was told wrong back in May.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's not forget that, in addition to the 2 signings made, we've also had a £1.5m bid accepted for another player - one that plays in a different position - that would have been completed last week if the player had accepted our terms.

Seems BG was told wrong back in May.

I get the impression that BG uses the scattergun approach to his posts, so that he can point out where he got one right eventually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here