Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sell to buy

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Why not just wait and see what the squad looks like on 1st September? Lets be honest none of us know what TB is going to spend, whether CH will have funds available or not or who will be sold.
Personally I feel that with relaxed FFP coming in and the fact we have not spend loads of cash over the past year and we have removed some big earners we will be in a good position.
At the end of the day if the squad looks crap on the 1st September and is going to be supplemented by a load of loans we can all complain if it looks half decent we can all rejoice.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
OK. but you said that last year too Tony :wink:

But this year he has a different recruitment team spending his money, so hopefully he will get a better return in the trust he places in them. He can only really go on what they tell him afterall.

Edit: Oh and the day TB turns around and says something like "I have just spent a vast amount of money on shite" is the day he has had enough.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I have heard from an extremely reliable source that Chris Hughton will be given sufficient funds to build, by the end of August, a squad capable of finishing in the top six.

And she makes a lovely cuppa that Martha. You know her husband's best friends uncle who married one of Barber's housekeepers.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Havent we actually sold enough players over the last four years and bought in shite bar one or two !!

Just wondering why we have to sell and if we did WHO are we gonna sell only Dunk and Ince are worth anything ???

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's player costs per year which are important. A player could be bought for 4m, but with a 4 year contract, that player costs the club 1m per year plus whatever wages they're on. CMS 4 year contract expiring frees up a load of cash from the playing budget, which could be spent of fees and/or wages.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's player costs per year which are important. A player could be bought for 4m, but with a 4 year contract, that player costs the club 1m per year plus whatever wages they're on. CMS 4 year contract expiring frees up a load of cash from the playing budget, which could be spent of fees and/or wages.

Fingers crossed, it'll be on a striker worth the 15k a week CMS was alleged to be on. Did El Pres say COG was also on a wage like that or was he being "amusing"?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Havent we actually sold enough players over the last four years and bought in shite bar one or two !!

Just wondering why we have to sell and if we did WHO are we gonna sell only Dunk and Ince are worth anything ???

I think you've hit the nail on the head, they are the only two worth anything (although I'd add JFC to that, ........... abuse), and these three players aren't going to raise a stack of cash if we did sell. What they will do is all "play" the we can go if we get a Premier League approach card, I'm sure there will be offers for them but would be surprised if the total for all three reached £10m, which, in footballing Championship squad terms, is not a lot of money.

We have to be hugely thankful to Dick Knight & TB for getting us to where we are from where we were; but we must face facts, unless TB's prepared to stump up £25m+ we can't rebuild the poor squad we have into anything likely to really challenge for automatic promotion.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I'm not claiming any inside knowledge , but since speculation is fun.......In the light of Hughton's comments about JFC not suiting the system that he plays, I wonder if the right offer would secure his transfer out?

If it resulted in us signing a decent centre forward, or a better centre half it might be beneficial

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have heard that Hughton wants to sell JFC, as he doesn't suit Hughton's system. The plan is to replace him with a decent centre forward, or better centre half.
BG

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fingers crossed, it'll be on a striker worth the 15k a week CMS was alleged to be on. Did El Pres say COG was also on a wage like that or was he being "amusing"?
It was something in that region, and I don't think he was being funny.

It's also rumoured that Sheff Utd are prepared to pay us £500k plus whatever wages we've paid for COG this year. So a fee of around £1.25m, which sounds too good to be true.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where has Hughton made such a comment?

In the argus.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/12925740.Hughton_hails_Jake_s_attitude/

Hughton told The Argus: “As regards Jake as a footballer I like him.

“He’s a talented lad and I think credit to him, because he hasn’t played as much under me as he would like or what he was used to before.

“But he trains well every day and he is a talented player. Probably the difficulty I’ve had a little bit is just in the system that I play, fitting him in.

“I thought considering he hasn’t played he did well (against Watford). He showed really good commitment and was a decent part of some of our good form in the first half.”​

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I thouht this was going to be some housing thread, along the lines of buy to let, let to buy etc. was thinking retro of sell to buy was back in

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've heard we're selling all hope and buying a dream.

Feb 14, 2010
Who would want to buy a player from a side who would be 4th from bottom of the second tier but for Rotherham points deduction? Who is it that has any transfer value? Nice idea but I doubt we could afford a player from Burgess Hill with the proceeds. Nope, its down to Tony Bloom and club revenue.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have to be hugely thankful to Dick Knight & TB for getting us to where we are from where we were; but we must face facts, unless TB's prepared to stump up £25m+ we can't rebuild the poor squad we have into anything likely to really challenge for automatic promotion.

Well he already spends a tens of millions funding and paying the wages for the existing squad. If you mean over and above that on transfer fees this summer as well then we didn't need anything like that to challenge for the top 6 in 2 seasons out of the last 3. and nor did most of the other top 6 teams in last decade. So why is £25m the magic figure. ? Why not £10m or £40m ?
Did Burnley last year need to spend that much or Palace the year before ? Ipswich might well be promoted this season but have spent a lot less than Albion. ? How much have Bournemouth spent on transfer fees in the last 12 months ? So is the answer to spend the same as them ?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
My concern is that we do not have any saleable players without seriously weakening an already weak squad. As has happened with recent sales the proceeds from these have gone into making our debt less rather than improve the squad. This squad is far inferior to those Gus and Oscar had. I suppose the simple answer is TB will just put in and blow another £10m. That is dreaming and not realistic but it is what most on here think will happen.

Do not worry

The fact that they are not saleable means they are toilet anyway.
Ship out but new.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here