Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sell to buy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
unlike you and many others I have an opinion and a mind to think for myself.
But that's just it, you don't. Think BG - what did we spend last year, and the year before, and the year before? Answer, we spent up to the limit of FFP. This time round, players like CMS are off the books - that frees up not just his wages, but also the price we paid for him, which was being written off each year. So unless TB has a sudden change of heart, and wants to stop spending, then we'll be spending, and we'll clearly be in a position to buy some players, even without selling any.

Do you agree, and if not, why?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG is merely suggesting that nothing is likely to change in the way we do business in the summer, not sure why everyone is jumping on his back. Listening to Bloom at this stage of the season is like groundhog day. I will remain very cynical, rightly or wrongly, until some of TB's assurances happen.

Thanks for the backing, it actually came from an ex player who obviously still has connections with other players etc. Could be b.....t but as I said IT WAS SUGGESTED to me not written in stone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But that's just it, you don't. Think BG - what did we spend last year, and the year before, and the year before? Answer, we spent up to the limit of FFP. This time round, players like CMS are off the books - that frees up not just his wages, but also the price we paid for him, which was being written off each year. So unless TB has a sudden change of heart, and wants to stop spending, then we'll be spending, and we'll clearly be in a position to buy some players, even without selling any.

Do you agree, and if not, why?

I do not agree as TB is not a bottomless pit and rightly or wrong I believe his advisors or whoever have told him to control the amount he throws at the club. He has put in about £200m and there is a limit to any persons subsidy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do not agree as TB is not a bottomless pit and rightly or wrong I believe his advisors or whoever have told him to control the amount he throws at the club. He has put in about £200m and there is a limit to any persons subsidy.
Indeed he's not a bottomless pit, and he does limit what he throws at the club. But every year so far, he's thrown a fair bit at the club, and he's indicated he'll be throwing more again this time. What makes you think he's lied, and what makes you think that he's suddenly going to stop spending?

He won't have told the players how much he's going to spend, let along ex-players. You say you think for yourself, so why are you believing an ex-player who is clearly not in the know?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It was suggested to me yesterday that we have to sell 2 or 3 players before we can but any, Has anybody else heard this? Who could we sell COG £500k Dunk £1.5m Walton £2m Ince, Baldock JFC all about £1m not much else unless any DS prospects but I wouldnt want to sell any of those. Perhaps COG but nobody else as I dont think we could replace them cheaply.

who in Gods name feeds you all this garbage and even if its a great guess, so what I am sure I read somewhere on here that PB said we would have to sell to buy new players, and I did not take a lot of notice of that either
if it happens it happens

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BG is merely suggesting that nothing is likely to change in the way we do business in the summer, not sure why everyone is jumping on his back.
I'm jumping on his back because:
1) He's not suggesting that nothing is likely to change, he's saying we'll have to sell 2 or 3 players before we can buy any. Last summer we bought O'Grady before we sold anyone, so not exactly after selling 2 or 3. In fact we bought 4 players last summer, and sold 2, so not selling 2 or 3 before buying 1. Add to that the fact that we've released CMS and others, meaning we have more money available than last year.
2) BG regularly posts that he's been told some information, and it always turns out to be wrong. Now obviously all the regulars here know that, and they ignore BG. But what about people who aren't regulars and stumble across this thread? They deserve to know that BG has a reputation, so they don't panic unnecessarily about our summer signings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
who in Gods name feeds you all this garbage and even if its a great guess, so what I am sure I read somewhere on here that PB said we would have to sell to buy new players, and I did not take a lot of notice of that either
if it happens it happens

Perhaps that is where it originated from but how would PB know people on here know more about what is happening than him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do find it funny that so many of us have "a reliable source" or "someone close to the club". Let's look at the facts. PB & TB are both experienced businessmen and are both very use to and, probably, good negotiators? They are never going to show their hands with regards to money and transfer funds. The club will play the "we haven't got as pot to pee in card, they'll overplay how much the stadium and training facilities cost and they'll ensure that any target clubs know we can't afford anyone at any price. Equally, the players Championship clubs want for a top six finish are either players playing in the Premier League or good players with ambitions to play in the Premier League.

Therefore I suggest we all calm the **** down, allow the big boys to have their pickings with their TV rights and Premier League money and well advance to the table, when allowed, to pick up the scraps. I love the club and respect what TB & PB do for us, I'm just trying to say how I see it, we don't have the funds to compete in the transfer market and are unlikely to have unless we reach the promised land or TB sells out to Mr Evenmoremoneybags.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
we don't have the funds to compete in the transfer market.

Except TB funded a squad in 2 seasons out of the last three that did make the top 6. and insists he will invest next season to do so again.
And Ipswich this season and others regularly make the top 6 having built a squad, in your words, on "scraps".

PS agreed the club are rightfully circumspect about details re: transfer funds and targets for the obvious reasons you describe.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I would imagine (and am basing this on 0% facts, 100% speculation) that it is not necessarily the capital from transfers which is the stumbling block but the wages we will have to pay out. Hopefully freeing up CMS and Kemy's wages will help but unless you uncover a hidden gem, a free scoring championship striker will demand at least £15k a week which will have to be funded by others leaving. Maybe....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There will be a number of new signings we can make without selling anyone.

If we sell anyone, and I guess Dunk is the most likely, then clearly we have more money and can make more signings.

I really don't believe we need to sell someone before we can sign anyone

:FFSPuncheon

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm jumping on his back because:
1) He's not suggesting that nothing is likely to change, he's saying we'll have to sell 2 or 3 players before we can buy any. Last summer we bought O'Grady before we sold anyone, so not exactly after selling 2 or 3. In fact we bought 4 players last summer, and sold 2, so not selling 2 or 3 before buying 1. Add to that the fact that we've released CMS and others, meaning we have more money available than last year.
QUOTE]

How will we have more money available this year when we raked in around 12 million in transfer fees last year and so far we haven't raked in anything this year? I think you are being extremely optimistic on that front. If we couldn't spend a bit on decent replacements last year I seriously doubt we are going to spend more this year. Love to be wrong though.

I know someone is going to be along saying we spent more than ever last year but a big percentage of that will have been on loanees and they have all gone now. Baldock was proper money but Ulloas replacement was a cheap option disaster that backfired,

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Except TB funded a squad in 2 seasons out of the last three that did make the top 6. and insists he will invest next season to do so again.
And Ipswich this season and others regularly make the top 6 having built a squad, in your words, on "scraps".

PS agreed the club are rightfully circumspect about details re: transfer funds and targets for the obvious reasons you describe.

I don't disagree with you. My concern is maybe when we get the right to feed we have to take what's there, a couple of seasons ago maybe we struck lucky or last season we struck unlucky? My point is we can't strategically buy, we do have to leave a great deal to chance. I know people on here will say we should buy this striker and that striker but realistically a £5m striker will cost you a quarter of that again in wages, plus a bit more for NIC, agents fees, bonuses etc. We don't have the money to buy what we need we have to make what's left fit the best it can.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
if it happens it happens

He didn't say as much on the Roar - I think the question was something like "presumably we will have to sell players in order to buy....it's not a very good idea to sell off the family silver" and PB's reply was "unless they want to leave". He then reiterated that we did not need to sell any of Leo, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes but they wanted to go so he had to maximise our return. He turned down Leicester over 10 times during the summer but it was only when Leo stated that he wanted to leave that it went from there.

So he did not categorically say that we have to sell, but the impression given was that we do not, unless a player is surplus to requirements or wants to leave.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Love these look at me and who I 'know' threads.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How will we have more money available this year when we raked in around 12 million in transfer fees last year and so far we haven't raked in anything this year?
I think we received a fair bit less than £12m (hopefully more to come), but regardless, I do wonder where it all went (a lot on loans I guess) - I'd like to see our financial report for this season. But the problem with the windfall for Ulloa is that we couldn't just use it to buy expensive players, because new players would have their cost spread over the length of their contract, whereas the sale money comes straight in, for that season only. That's why losing CMS is helpful, as we could spend whatever was spent on his transfer fee, and wages, and be in the same position re FFP as we were this year with him here.

If we couldn't spend a bit on decent replacements last year I seriously doubt we are going to spend more this year.
I guess we spent a fair bit on Baldock, but apart from that, I agree, we didn't spend a lot. And I'm not sure we'll be spending loads this summer either. But I seriously doubt that we have to sell 2 or 3 before we can bring 1 in. That's just BG.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He didn't say as much on the Roar - I think the question was something like "presumably we will have to sell players in order to buy....it's not a very good idea to sell off the family silver" and PB's reply was "unless they want to leave". He then reiterated that we did not need to sell any of Leo, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes but they wanted to go so he had to maximise our return. He turned down Leicester over 10 times during the summer but it was only when Leo stated that he wanted to leave that it went from there.

So he did not categorically say that we have to sell, but the impression given was that we do not, unless a player is surplus to requirements or wants to leave.

ok I take that on board, but it would be interesting to find out how much was done to keep them, specifically Barnes as it does seem like he was edged out.
also if we did not need to sell these players then I would hope any money we made would go into new players and not FFP

this is a bit by the by as anything PB says I take with a pinch of salt.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
ok I take that on board, but it would be interesting to find out how much was done to keep them, specifically Barnes as it does seem like he was edged out.
also if we did not need to sell these players then I would hope any money we made would go into new players and not FFP

this is a bit by the by as anything PB says I take with a pinch of salt.

All fair enough and re Barnes is something that we will never know. Re FFP, this season the restriction is 6m and we will meet that (as per PB on the Roar), next season is the start of the 39m over 3 years malarky, so there is money to spend there if TB is willing to fund it. We will have to wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here