Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sell to buy

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
But that's just it, you don't. Think BG - what did we spend last year, and the year before, and the year before? Answer, we spent up to the limit of FFP. This time round, players like CMS are off the books - that frees up not just his wages, but also the price we paid for him, which was being written off each year. So unless TB has a sudden change of heart, and wants to stop spending, then we'll be spending, and we'll clearly be in a position to buy some players, even without selling any.

Do you agree, and if not, why?

How does that work then as we freed up Buckley & Ulloa's fees and wages last summer? about £12M. We didn't going on a spending spree to secure a to six finish as suggested by the board.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Well he already spends a tens of millions funding and paying the wages for the existing squad. If you mean over and above that on transfer fees this summer as well then we didn't need anything like that to challenge for the top 6 in 2 seasons out of the last 3. and nor did most of the other top 6 teams in last decade. So why is £25m the magic figure. ? Why not £10m or £40m ?
Did Burnley last year need to spend that much or Palace the year before ? Ipswich might well be promoted this season but have spent a lot less than Albion. ? How much have Bournemouth spent on transfer fees in the last 12 months ? So is the answer to spend the same as them ?

Fair point and I agree, but Bournemouth did resort to paying Kenwyn Jones £30k+ per week in the last month to have him on loan.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
If anyone thinks that we spent all of the transfer money we received last season then they're daft. Like Swansea with the Bony money - we weren't prepared to be railroaded into overpaying for an adequate replacement.

While I'm on the matter - it's quite regular that a team 'expected' to struggle surprise everyone and do well the following season. All this doom and gloom around next season is bizarre considering we haven't made any real 'moves' in terms of signings.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Perhaps BHAFC (as a football club) are just a little bit naive, or, not as 'Premier League Ready' as they would have us believe ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How does that work then as we freed up Buckley & Ulloa's fees and wages last summer? about £12M.
We didn't knock £12m / year off our books with those sales. Neither of them cost as much as CMS, so we weren't writing of as much each year as we were with CMS. We don't know the full details of last season's finances yet though. The point is, BG is saying that we won't buy 1 player until we've sold 2 or 3, and that's simply not true. Of course it could happen that we don't sign any straight away, but it's not that we're not in a position to.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I predict we will will buy six players up to 26 years old and all transfers will be completed by the end of July 2015. All players signed will require a transfer fee paid.

Two of the current squad may be sold for a notional fee.

This Is not entirely to do what I think it is best but based on Norwich policy under CH. I am not sure where the money is going to come from ???

It might depend a bit on how quickly Baldock gets fit.

Last edited:

We didn't knock £12m / year off our books with those sales. Neither of them cost as much as CMS, so we weren't writing of as much each year as we were with CMS. We don't know the full details of last season's finances yet though. The point is, BG is saying that we won't buy 1 player until we've sold 2 or 3, and that's simply not true. Of course it could happen that we don't sign any straight away, but it's not that we're not in a position to.

Furthermore both Ulloa and Buckley, unlike CMS, were still under contract when sold so there may still have been significant parts of the amortisation of their purchase price, re-signing on fees etc to balance out in the books/accounts. There's also the real possibility of a sell-on fee being payable to their former clubs.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Is this Groundhog Day?

or I think I have woken up in 2014

10011381_H12146629-600x399.jpg

Punxsy Phil: Try doing the same year after year after year...............and getting blamed for bad weather.................Bill Murray thought he had it bad.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It was suggested to me yesterday that we have to sell 2 or 3 players before we can but any, Has anybody else heard this? Who could we sell COG £500k Dunk £1.5m Walton £2m Ince, Baldock JFC all about £1m not much else unless any DS prospects but I wouldnt want to sell any of those. Perhaps COG but nobody else as I dont think we could replace them cheaply.

Dunk for 3 mill with sell ons and international clause
Walton for 4 mill as above.
jfc if we can get 1.5 million for him then let him go .
Cog i would keep along with Balcock + Ince and bring in a quality striker to play with either cog or balders.

i think we need at least five permanent new players in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If anyone thinks that we spent all of the transfer money we received last season then they're daft.

Bloom said we spent some of it on losses (the losses the club rack up paying footballers wages and fees) and some on the playing budget back in September at a fan forum.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair point and I agree, but Bournemouth did resort to paying Kenwyn Jones £30k+ per week in the last month to have him on loan.

I don't know. Lots of conflicting reports. No denying Bournemouth spent on wages. (we do too).
Accumulating their squad was a mix was mostly a mix of small fees, frees and keeping their League 1 squad together...no sign of £25m worth of rebuilding. Not only way to do it and big investment often helps but there's no simple spend a fortune - guarantee promotion formula.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
There's no way we will finish in the top six. We are bottom in the form table. Signing 9 new players (which is what we need) will take a while to gel.

We need the following permanent signings, no loan ballshit

- 2 left backs
- 3 strikers
- two wide midfielders
- one centre back
- one player in mould of teixera

Get rid of COG, and holla. If we get a good offer I would also let JFC go. Ince, crofts, Stephens, kayal is plenty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Furthermore both Ulloa and Buckley, unlike CMS, were still under contract when sold so there may still have been significant parts of the amortisation of their purchase price, re-signing on fees etc to balance out in the books/accounts.
I don't follow you there, can you give an example of how that would work? The way I think it works is that if we paid, say £1m for Will, for a 4 year contract, we'd write off £250k each year. Once he's sold, we could use the £250k that we were writing off and put it towards something/someone else. And we could put his wages towards someone else too.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Thanks for the backing, it actually came from an ex player who obviously still has connections with other players etc. Could be b.....t but as I said IT WAS SUGGESTED to me not written in stone.

I think the last thing TB would want is to let clubs know that we have such and such a sum for prospective signings as this would only up the prices, playing a good game I think

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
See that loanee and 17 goals this season Bamford not playing for Boro today. Rested.

For the play offs :(

Of course there are successful loans, but:
(a) we have/had too many loans this season, even getting to the point where 1 lucky loanee had to sit several matches out due to FL restrictions
(b) loanees are very unlikely to be as engaged as permanent signings; why would they be?
(c) our loan acquisition this season has been as bad as our permanent player acquisition, and that is really saying something.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Bloom said we spent some of it on losses (the losses the club rack up paying footballers wages and fees) and some on the playing budget back in September at a fan forum.

It's not all gone...

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I have heard from an extremely reliable source that Chris Hughton will be given sufficient funds to build, by the end of August, a squad capable of finishing in the top six.

Let's hope that you are wrong, because this year we need that top 6 squad fully fit and trained in time for the first game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here