Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season-defining week (and a bit)?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
…but then

Or this

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
One of the most depressing things I’ve seen on NSC is that reference to “one of the biggest clubs in world football”

Genuinely the first thought in my head was I thought we were away to Leeds this week

Close to flouncing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the most depressing things I’ve seen on NSC is that reference to “one of the biggest clubs in world football”

Genuinely the first thought in my head was I thought we were away to Leeds this week

Close to flouncing.
To save you from a pile-on, my tongue was more than a little bit in my cheek there, and largely referencing how Leeds fans tend to see themselves.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The loss to Fulham has already pricked our bubble pretty badly, IMHO - if this week doesn't go really well I think, as you suggest, we'll just drift through the rest of the season to another top ten finish.
My bubble is not pricked - it's positively bouncing and glowing.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
To save you from a pile-on, my tongue was more than a little bit in my cheek there, and largely referencing how Leeds fans tend to see themselves.
Oh well that’s ok then! Just my stupidity 😀

I threw my phone on the desk and started ranting to myself (got as far as Dicky Guy saving Peter Lorimer’s penalty)

No harm done

Do I just come back as if nothing happened ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh well that’s ok then! Just my stupidity 😀

I threw my phone on the desk and started ranting to myself (got as far as Dicky Guy saving Peter Lorimer’s penalty)

No harm done

Do I just come back as if nothing happened ?
Yep - we can all pretend it didn't happen. You're amongst friends here.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
- Away to one of the biggest clubs in world football.

- Home against them lot, and rarely has it felt like we are so well-equipped to give them the absolute thrashing they clearly deserve.

- An FA Cup quarter-final, only the fifth in our history, with an incredible chance to progress to a Wembley semi.

What could possibly go wrong?
SNOW!!!! It's grim up north and the last thing we need is another postponement.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Blimey we got a few newbies on here today.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You look where we were 20 years ago or so and you have to pinch yourself when we play teams like supermassive Leeds Utd. It’s such an honour for a club like ours to play them, especially considering the majority of the time, we expect a win.

Leeds game will be very tough, it always is up there and will settle for a point. Palace is bleeding Palace and anything can happen but feel we'll beat Grimsby quite comfortably. But, with Roberto we can batter Leeds and Palace as well as Grimsby. I wouldn't mind betting that he'll still use the word 'Charlton' before the Grimsby game as he still hurts from that loss!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I certainly get that our league situation is recoverable if we limited/no success against Leeds and Palace, but I think the whole vibe around the club can be significantly influenced by this coming week. If it feels like a poor one, particularly if a few other PL results go against us, it could set us on a path to just drift along towards the end of the season.
I've felt the same since the Fulham defeat. This is basically your version of my "4 massive season defining games" thread that I started pre-Stoke. Since then, we've won two out of two.

This is the way its going to be all the while we're in with a shout in both competitions. Every single game is going to seem massive.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
- Away to one of the biggest clubs in world football.

- Home against them lot, and rarely has it felt like we are so well-equipped to give them the absolute thrashing they clearly deserve.

- An FA Cup quarter-final, only the fifth in our history, with an incredible chance to progress to a Wembley semi.

What could possibly go wrong?

Zaha

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The loss to Fulham has already pricked our bubble pretty badly, IMHO - if this week doesn't go really well I think, as you suggest, we'll just drift through the rest of the season to another top ten finish.
That simply isn't true.

Since then, we won well at Stoke and got a plum cup draw, then slaughtered West Ham. Meanwhile, Fulham Spurs and Newcastle have all lost league games. Liverpool are the only competitor that have kicked on since two weeks ago.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
More to lose than to win. Winning the games would be good but might not do a whole lot in the end. Losing any would feel pretty bad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In truth, the season defining games all happen in April. I say that, because that also applies to our opponents: we've got Brentford and Man City at home, plus Chelsea and Spurs away.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I've felt the same since the Fulham defeat. This is basically your version of my "4 massive season defining games" thread that I started pre-Stoke. Since then, we've won two out of two.

This is the way its going to be all the while we're in with a shout in both competitions. Every single game is going to seem massive.
Yup. Brilliant times indeed... :albion2:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
MacAllister and Caicedo sent off against Leeds who win in the last minute, Zaha scores a hat trick whilst we have 3 goals disallowed due to VAR and Grimsby score off both posts and Steele's backside whilst a last minute equaliser is thwarted by an inflatable haddock on the goal line. Our FA Cup and European ambitions are over and relegation becomes a near certainty.
And that's as optimistic as I will allow myself to be.
I see you come from the same school of optimism as me.
My take on things is :
Qualify for Europa Conference league.
Get drawn against FC Sheriff Tiraspol who cannot play at home due to threats from Russia-supported Transnistrian rebels. Both games held at the Amex, go out on penalties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here