Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sami and Nathan

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Obika was poor during his spell with us but may go on to better things. When you saw Vokes play, did you think he would end up at Burnley as one of their top scorers in a promotion winning team? Poyet had Paynter in his team and he was worse than Obika!

As for Jones, did he have some input in recommending Stephens who looks a good buy!

Easy to pick out one player that fails and use that to slate a coach however, at the end of the day, right or wrong, final say on tactics, team selection, substitutions etc was down to Garcia. If the manager wants a team to play a certain way then the coach has to coach that style.

NJ's problem is probably solely down to the gesture he made at the Withdean when playing for Yeovil and some people can't get over that!

Have to agree I like the look of Stephens.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A fine statto & thorough fella who's so particular with everything he does...

But don't worry I'll let some NSCers who've never met the guy or hear him speak about football in great depth keep judging him based in nothing whatsoever...!

Hilarious! Heard him speak far, far too often!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Did you listen to his BS in the media?
Did you hear him talk about how good Obika was?
Did you hear him say Yeovil would stay up?

I could go on.
Let's just say, if he is so ****ing good, why isn't he managing somewhere?

Every manager/coach/fan makes mistakes about players.

Nope, and so what he did they are an ex club of his. He was hardly likely to say they were rubbish and going to go down was he.

Hardly proves he is a poor coach though does it. Spoken to any players about his techniques or way he does things?

And finally, because he is learning his trade and wants to get better before becoming a manager? Personally I think that shows he is serious about what he does and realises he can get better which is why he is doing the courses with the other former pros.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok Sheebo, this may be fair enough, but are you able to elaborate a bit more on his input last year then, particularly from a statistical basis?

We actually employ statisticians in that precise role.

I'm intrigued.....

No not atall - I was just impressed by his knowledge and use of stats etc. nobody on this board knows how he did last yr really do they as we weren't there with the management team every day. I know how highly thought of his Charlton side were though. I'm not saying he's done this or that - I'm just saying many on here criticise without hearing him speak or knowing anything... Guesswork IMO.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolutely. Very impressive student of the game, loves BHA and the city, and is a nice person. Personal relationships are very important in any management team, and I can see Nathan and Sami really hitting it off, which will spread to the dressing room. But then again, he's quite short and a bit weasel-looking, once got carried away playing for another team and hurt the feelings of some over-sensitive souls, and then failed to get us promoted in his first season as assistant. Obviously a complete tosser and waste of space then, Jones out!

So true... I assume you've spoke to Nathan or heard him speak too then!?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I quite like the selective memory when it comes to the Poyet vs Oscar debate, as mentioned on here somewhere.

I am fully aware there were some flat performances last season, but my god- let's not start suggesting we were never crap under Poyet. Barnsley away. Bristol City away- right off the top of my head, I can come up with two pathetic, uninspired showings, and there were others too (Palace away in the league, Sheffield Wednesday spring to mind). Yet curiously, I don't see anyone blaming Taricco for those showings as they are Jones for this.
Agreed. In 2012/13 we had more no score draws than any other team in the league... (6), and early on in the season playing pretty poorly we went 7 games without a win and another blip in Spring 2013 with those aways to Barnsley etc...

This idea that it was joy unconfirmed all season with Poyet and Tanno is a nonsense. That thrilling December afternoon at Selhurst Park for instance. Our top scorer in that season was CMS with er, 11 goals.

Yes we had a great second half of 2012/13 with some memorable victories with Palace (H) being *the* highlight but we only ended up with 3 more points than 2013/14. And this years victories over Leicester x 2, QPR, Burnley, Charlton, Yeovil and then the all time rush of Nottm Forest (best Albion moment at least since Doncaster, perhaps since Virgo/Knight in 2004) means 2013/14 definitely was up there.You could argue our 2nd best season, position wise, for 31 years by the way. Nathan Jones contributed a lot to that, the importance of Obika is overstated (he was never really needed in the end), and Dale Stephens, presumably Jones inspired, was along with Ward the best signing we made last season. But yes. We didn't thump anyone 6-1...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No not atall - I was just impressed by his knowledge and use of stats etc. nobody on this board knows how he did last yr really do they as we weren't there with the management team every day. I know how highly thought of his Charlton side were though. I'm not saying he's done this or that - I'm just saying many on here criticise without hearing him speak or knowing anything... Guesswork IMO.

Fair enough. I just didn't enjoy what I saw from a team he was involved in coaching.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough. I just didn't enjoy what I saw from a team he was involved in coaching.

Yes and maybe he played a part in certain failings. But maybe he helped us do some of the good things. As I say, nobody really knows except those working for the club in certain roles... Just seems to me he's a scape goat. Like Edna said above, Tano never got slated for failings (Poyet did by some) - that says it all!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So on that logic basis you also do not approve of the long term purchase commitment for Dale Stephens?

Answered this one already.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Every manager/coach/fan makes mistakes about players.

Nope, and so what he did they are an ex club of his. He was hardly likely to say they were rubbish and going to go down was he.

Hardly proves he is a poor coach though does it. Spoken to any players about his techniques or way he does things?

And finally, because he is learning his trade and wants to get better before becoming a manager? Personally I think that shows he is serious about what he does and realises he can get better which is why he is doing the courses with the other former pros.

I can see where you are coming from, and I will support him next season, but I just can't honestly say I'm pleased he's staying. To repeat, I would prefer a fresh start. He has too much association with the Oscar regime for me, the one that did well to finish 6th, but never looked good enough to gain promotion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where and when? And what's hilarious about what I wrote?

The bit about not hearing him speak made me LoL; thanks to Oscar's unwillingness to do so, our Nathan grabbed far too much of the limelight.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes and maybe he played a part in certain failings. But maybe he helped us do some of the good things. As I say, nobody really knows except those working for the club in certain roles... Just seems to me he's a scape goat. Like Edna said above, Tano never got slated for failings (Poyet did by some) - that says it all!

Yes and that is a good point, however, Poyet was clearly the front man, though if you watch him even now, just prior to making an adjustment he'll have a chat with Tanno.

I think Oscar's lack of presence perhaps forced Nathan into a more animated role on the touchline, though that sais I think its probably his natural personality in any case.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hyypia will keep Jones for continuity and because Jones knows the squad.
At the same time he will use the next few weeks/months to judge whether he can work with Jones long term or not.
That is how senior management works in any industry.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nope. If Nathan Jones wasn't an ex-Albion player, and a pretty brainless one at that, he wouldn't have got within a country mile of being appointed. Time to shed the old ways of Jobs For The Boys. Or if that's not possible for whatever reason, at least give Danny Cullip the job. Now THERE was a man-motivator. Just ask Robbie Pethick! :lol:

Jobs for the boys or a recruitment policy that involves employing people you know of and can trust?

We're not littered with ex-players at the club. I can only think of three off the top of my head. Rogers, Jones and Watson.

You can't say for certain that being an ex-player of the club helped land him the role.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
So you don't think Jones had ANYTHING to do with Obika's arrival at Brighton!? And I suppose he didn't sing his praises publicly!?

You appear to see the world very simplistically, and make child-like assumptions and draw strange conclusions as a result.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
So true... I assume you've spoke to Nathan or heard him speak too then!?

I have had the pleasure, yes. Also regularly sat with an acquaintance of Nathan's at Withdean who couldn't speak highly enough of him and gave me some very interesting insights into his character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here