Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sami and Nathan

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep, strongly agree, we have to all be 100% behind the setup without any keyboard warrior attention seeking, bitching comments or bullshit. Debate is fine, piss taking isn't and NSC is here to make a positive impact, not a negative one.

Debate is fine, and just because some of us (me certainly) isn't entirely happy he stayed, doesn't mean we are anything less than 100% behind the team.....

It's the ones that 'boo' them off the pitch or abuse their own team that I have an issue with.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I don't think we have any idea how much coaching was taken by Oscar, or how much input was Nathans. Maybe dragging a performance out of the assembled available players was down to Nathan, and Oscar just stood by bewildered and scratching his beard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you see their Development Squad play? I did and they were awful. Nathan's input was bawling at youngsters from the touchline and haranguing the referee.

They won the league. How they did it doesn't concern me, but to say that he is useless as a coach is incorrect when he has success in his CV.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Debate is fine, and just because some of us (me certainly) isn't entirely happy he stayed, doesn't mean we are anything less than 100% behind the team.....

It's the ones that 'boo' them off the pitch or abuse their own team that I have an issue with.

So strongly and forever voicing your disappointment is a positive? How exactly did he fail us last season?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nothing to do with whether someone is imaginative or not. There is nothing to suggest Jones is a good coach. Maybe you thought Obika was a good player too then?

Now is stuff like this that just annoys me. There is everything to suggest he is a good coach. Previous assistant manager at Yeovil, guided Charlton u21s to their title (beating ours while he was at it), been interviewed and appointed to be assistant to Oscar and has obviously shown enough to Sami that he should play a key role in his back room team. This is not to mention how others in the football community view him.
Now on the other hand where is it shown he is a bad coach?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So strongly and forever voicing your disappointment is a positive? How exactly did he fail us last season?

Let's start with the recommendation of Obika.

Let's follow-up with being part of the most negative style of football for a long time, and being part of a coaching set-up that actually managed to take the team backwards, in terms of quality of play. We also finished lower than the previous season.

Whilst it was nothing short of a miracle that we made the play-off's, even the most passionate Brighton fan should be realistic enough to realise it was largely down to the poor performance of other teams, not us taking the 'bull by the horns'. I can count on the figures on of one hand the number of times I was disappointed the previous season under Poyet, last year other than about 3 home games, the quality was shocking. Whilst certainly not Jones fault, he was part of the coaching team.

NSC isn't about positives and negatives, as you point out it's about debate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They won the league. How they did it doesn't concern me, but to say that he is useless as a coach is incorrect when he has success in his CV.

If his CV is that outstanding as an Assistant as some are quoting, and Nathan by his own admission is ambitious, I haven't heard or noticed many clubs banging down our door trying to speak to him.

Brighton based on the last few years are not inclined to stand in the way of individuals opportunities.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If his CV is that outstanding as an Assistant as some are quoting, and Nathan by his own admission is ambitious, I haven't heard or noticed many clubs banging down our door trying to speak to him.

Brighton based on the last few years are not inclined to stand in the way of individuals opportunities.

How many assistant managers ever get poached? Tony Bloom is obviously happy with what he did to keep him here as 1st team coach. I'm not offering opinion but stating facts.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Let's start with the recommendation of Obika.

Let's follow-up with being part of the most negative style of football for a long time, and being part of a coaching set-up that actually managed to take the team backwards, in terms of quality of play. We also finished lower than the previous season.

Whilst it was nothing short of a miracle that we made the play-off's, even the most passionate Brighton fan should be realistic enough to realise it was largely down to the poor performance of other teams, not us taking the 'bull by the horns'. I can count on the figures on of one hand the number of times I was disappointed the previous season under Poyet, last year other than about 3 home games, the quality was shocking. Whilst certainly not Jones fault, he was part of the coaching team.

NSC isn't about positives and negatives, as you point out it's about debate.

And your point is negative debate not constructive, and I appologise in advance but you are talking bollocks. Our crippled and shallow squad last season reflected our performance not ****in NJ

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm hoping we hear more from the manager and less from Jones this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And your point is negative debate not constructive, and I appologise in advance but you are talking bollocks. Our crippled and shallow squad last season reflected our performance not ****in NJ

You may think that but then I would suggest you don't know your arse from your elbow :smile:

Do you seriously think that quality was acceptable?

Forest at home, they have a player sent off so we go narrow. Even an Under 10's coach would know you make the pitch bigger.

Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Middlesboro, Wigan, Ipswich, Yeovil (and we won that) - the tactics were wrong time after time. 3 wingers on the bench.

Of course, I accept that this is not all Nathan's fault but he was part of that coaching team.

I think it would have been good to start afresh and let Sami bring his own team, of course maybe he wanted Nathan......

Anyway, lets hope it all works out. I really would be surprised if they brought in another Assistant.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many assistant managers ever get poached? Tony Bloom is obviously happy with what he did to keep him here as 1st team coach. I'm not offering opinion but stating facts.

There are quite a few that go on to better things, there has to be as things would stagnate. MacLaren left QPR, Appleton left WBA off the top of my head.

Of course as you say those are the facts, but perhaps Bloom doesn't want to pay off his contract, perhaps he wanted Nathan to stay provide continuity, perhaps he thinks he's doing a good job. The fact is as you say he remains.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You may think that but then I would suggest you don't know your arse from your elbow :smile:

Do you seriously think that quality was acceptable?

Forest at home, they have a player sent off so we go narrow. Even an Under 10's coach would know you make the pitch bigger.

Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Middlesboro, Wigan, Ipswich, Yeovil (and we won that) - the tactics were wrong time after time. 3 wingers on the bench.

Of course, I accept that this is not all Nathan's fault but he was part of that coaching team.

I think it would have been good to start afresh and let Sami bring his own team, of course maybe he wanted Nathan......

Anyway, lets hope it all works out. I really would be surprised if they brought in another Assistant.

I accept your smiley face and will return it in good faith :), but let's keep NJ out of the negative and give him the benefit of the doubt for the season. Then show your sword and judge the man :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I accept your smiley face and will return it in good faith :), but let's keep NJ out of the negative and give him the benefit of the doubt for the season. Then show your sword and judge the man :thumbsup:

I agree. I would love it if we get up with him and Hyypia at the helm.......

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Well seeing as we don't know how much of a part Nathan Jones had in either our style of play, or in our finishing within the play offs, how about we give him another chance and support him.

I get the feeling that even if we run away with the league this season, some of you would say it was all down to Hyypia, well by that reckoning none of last seasons criticisms can be aimed at Jones!

He has obviously got Blooms backing, and Hyypia's, so how about giving him yours?

So what if he took a lot of the press conferences last season?, maybe you didn't notice our previous head coach was about as entertaining when he did them as his team were on the pitch, oh and Oscar's lack of English meant it was common sense for Jones to take them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nothing to do with whether someone is imaginative or not. There is nothing to suggest Jones is a good coach. Maybe you thought Obika was a good player too then?

Obika was poor during his spell with us but may go on to better things. When you saw Vokes play, did you think he would end up at Burnley as one of their top scorers in a promotion winning team? Poyet had Paynter in his team and he was worse than Obika!

As for Jones, did he have some input in recommending Stephens who looks a good buy!

Easy to pick out one player that fails and use that to slate a coach however, at the end of the day, right or wrong, final say on tactics, team selection, substitutions etc was down to Garcia. If the manager wants a team to play a certain way then the coach has to coach that style.

NJ's problem is probably solely down to the gesture he made at the Withdean when playing for Yeovil and some people can't get over that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here