Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sami and Nathan

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Let's start with the recommendation of Obika.

Let's follow-up with being part of the most negative style of football for a long time, and being part of a coaching set-up that actually managed to take the team backwards, in terms of quality of play. We also finished lower than the previous season.

Whilst it was nothing short of a miracle that we made the play-off's, even the most passionate Brighton fan should be realistic enough to realise it was largely down to the poor performance of other teams, not us taking the 'bull by the horns'. I can count on the figures on of one hand the number of times I was disappointed the previous season under Poyet, last year other than about 3 home games, the quality was shocking. Whilst certainly not Jones fault, he was part of the coaching team.

Well said.

Though how much was it down to Jones? Surely the manager picks the team and decides on the tactics. That said, the style and quality of our play was far inferior to the previous season. I'd have preferred a new broom - Hyppia probably agreed to keep him on because 'he knows the players', but he can't possibly have any idea about whether he's a good coach or not.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I quite like the selective memory when it comes to the Poyet vs Oscar debate, as mentioned on here somewhere.

We "scraped" into the play offs last season because of other teams' failings, apparently, and not because we accumulated more points than them over 46 games. That we didn't get more points is presumably Jones' fault, I'm guessing.

I am fully aware there were some flat performances last season, but my god- let's not start suggesting we were never crap under Poyet. Barnsley away. Bristol City away- right off the top of my head, I can come up with two pathetic, uninspired showings, and there were others too (Palace away in the league, Sheffield Wednesday spring to mind). Yet curiously, I don't see anyone blaming Taricco for those showings as they are Jones for this.

The truth is, none of us have a bloody clue what Jones is like, either as a coach or an assistant manager, and to load responsibility for any perceived decline in our fortunes on to him seems ridiculously simplistic and without foundation to me. Maybe he is crap. But there sure as hell isn't enough evidence around for us to jump to that conclusion yet.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
After Booker and White on the sidelines as legacy club employees it follows that NJ will come in for some stick as fans have tarred him with the same brush.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love all this 'clean sweep' crap. Do you really think it's a good idea to get rid of the whole management team and start from the beginning with no knowledge of players strengths, weaknesses, what motivates them psychologically etc etc

With none of us knowing what Nathan is like, i think a bit of continuity is a good thing, particularly if he is 1st team coach. It's a role that communicates between the management and the team and having to build a whole load of new relationships in that role can only add to the instability that change brings.

Finished with sensible posting now, go back to the Binfest.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I love all this 'clean sweep' crap. Do you really think it's a good idea to get rid of the whole management team and start from the beginning with no knowledge of players strengths, weaknesses, what motivates them psychologically etc etc

With none of us knowing what Nathan is like, i think a bit of continuity is a good thing, particularly if he is 1st team coach. It's a role that communicates between the management and the team and having to build a whole load of new relationships in that role can only add to the instability that change brings.

I would like to see Calde become more involved with the coaching side , Jonesy could be his mentor.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I quite like the selective memory when it comes to the Poyet vs Oscar debate, as mentioned on here somewhere.

We "scraped" into the play offs last season because of other teams' failings, apparently, and not because we accumulated more points than them over 46 games. That we didn't get more points is presumably Jones' fault, I'm guessing.

I am fully aware there were some flat performances last season, but my god- let's not start suggesting we were never crap under Poyet. Barnsley away. Bristol City away- right off the top of my head, I can come up with two pathetic, uninspired showings, and there were others too (Palace away in the league, Sheffield Wednesday spring to mind). Yet curiously, I don't see anyone blaming Taricco for those showings as they are Jones for this.

The truth is, none of us have a bloody clue what Jones is like, either as a coach or an assistant manager, and to load responsibility for any perceived decline in our fortunes on to him seems ridiculously simplistic and without foundation to me. Maybe he is crap. But there sure as hell isn't enough evidence around for us to jump to that conclusion yet.

So we didn't scrape in, then despite losing key games at home towards the end and other teams coming unstuck?

Of course, we amassed more points than anyone else, but last year we were not a good team, and as per a previous post if people think we were, then they are deluding themselves.

Of course there were a number of poor games under Poyet, I would add Millwall to that list, but on top of that I give you Barnsley 5-1, Blackpool 5-1, plus other games when there was simply no likelihood of us getting beaten, with the exception of Leicester away and perhaps Charlton home, did we comfortably beat anyone at all?

I think the difference between Tanno and Jones, is probably the front man, and Poyet was always more animated on the touchline (Palace aside) than Oscar, and as a consequence Tanno didn't need to be. Jones possibly was put in a position whereby he had to be more involved.

As to the quality issue, whilst the manager is ultimately responsible, both Jones and Tanno were involved in the training the week prior to a game, and for people think they had limited involvement is naïve in extreme. Clement highlighted the key role played by an Assistant recently. For me you win as a team and lose as it as well and that includes the Managers and Coaches.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes I do, it can help. Given the access to media these days, there is plenty of opportunity to watch games, in terms of the psychological element perhaps, but some of that is what a pre-season is about.

Sometimes, by having a 'new broom' a new style also comes with it, by keeping the old, potentially you are maintaining the same mentality of approach. Hopefully Sami will play a different system and we will be more entertaining.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm totally behind the school of though that a new foreign manager who's been working overseas needs an existing assistant to help him with the squad and division he's coming into, and I too don't get the NJ vitriol at all, but then I do have a life outside NSC and BHAFC as committed as I am to the club....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nothing to do with whether someone is imaginative or not. There is nothing to suggest Jones is a good coach. Maybe you thought Obika was a good player too then?

To be fair, there is nothing to suggest that he is a bad coach either, after all, the team he was assistant head coach of did reach the Championship Play-Off semi-finals last season, (although how much of that was down to him is debatable).

It's true that the loan deal which brought Jonathan Obika to the club didn't work out, but how much of that was down to the player? He didn't get to start very many games, and did at least score one terrific goal at Port Vale in the FA Cup. After all, if a player isn't given the chance to shine, then he invariably won't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, Nathan's staying, so I'm sure we'll all get behind him. I'm still hoping he'll be 3rd in the pecking order rather than second (more Oatway than Taricco), and that Sami will rely less on him than Oscar did when it comes to the press and new players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Obika was also not intended to be the man to take us up. How many class strikers are there to loan in?

Plenty of clubs did plenty better than us, e.g. Wickham at lowly Wednesday.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Eh? How do you make that connection? Like I said, lack of imagination (or maybe just brains?).

So you don't think Jones had ANYTHING to do with Obika's arrival at Brighton!? And I suppose he didn't sing his praises publicly!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nathan Jones Charlton youth squad beat our youth squad to the Development Squad League title last season. He also went to Wembley with Russell Slade with Yeovil as assistan manager.

Wow! With that on his CV, he should be managing somewhere...

... ELSE.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Give the bloke a chance, he was part of the setup that got us to 6th, and that is not bad on anyones CV.

True. But I still would have preferred a fresh start.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can we assume that our NEW manager is happy with the arrangements of working with Nathan Jones and stop the character assassination of our Welshman?

Guess work, I know, but I imagine the Finnish giant has met him and decided that they will work well together. The club don't owe Jones anything, so it is not as though they would demand to keep him whatever the weather and risk scuppering a management appointment.

I am certain he would be replaced if Hyppia decided he was not up to the job.

Can't we just accept that he plays an important role and not chastise him every other day?

Nope. If Nathan Jones wasn't an ex-Albion player, and a pretty brainless one at that, he wouldn't have got within a country mile of being appointed. Time to shed the old ways of Jobs For The Boys. Or if that's not possible for whatever reason, at least give Danny Cullip the job. Now THERE was a man-motivator. Just ask Robbie Pethick! :lol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Now is stuff like this that just annoys me. There is everything to suggest he is a good coach. Previous assistant manager at Yeovil, guided Charlton u21s to their title (beating ours while he was at it), been interviewed and appointed to be assistant to Oscar and has obviously shown enough to Sami that he should play a key role in his back room team. This is not to mention how others in the football community view him.
Now on the other hand where is it shown he is a bad coach?

Did you listen to his BS in the media?
Did you hear him talk about how good Obika was?
Did you hear him say Yeovil would stay up?

I could go on.
Let's just say, if he is so ****ing good, why isn't he managing somewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here