Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting piece on China's position in all this.

[tweet]1502981647616073736[/tweet]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jinping throws Putin under the bus. I suspect China was 'happy' with Russia's intent before the invasion (as long as it was delayed post Olympics...), not so much now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Getting scarier by the day, complete cluster **** with no winners unless Putin is ousted/assassinated and replaced by a more reasonable and sane President. There is no good outcome for Russia in any case, there may not be for any of us

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It could be that Putin actually now wants a short limited conflict with NATO so that he can get the Russian people behind him - an everyone is against us but I will defend you narrative - before negotiating a peace deal. No real military objective, just the need to unite Russia behind him before a "face saving" conclusion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1502761903046774786[/tweet]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

An excellent read and thanks for that. I agree with all that analysis and it is interesting that it has come from an academic. One only hopes that the Chinese leadership pays attention to his and other pragmatic voices in their ear.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I like this persons style

In Surgut, in Siberia, reports said that police had tracked down and fined an unnamed person 40,000 roubles (£320) for posting a message on a social media site monitored by Russian government officials, which said: "Z stands for assholes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I like this persons style

In Surgut, in Siberia, reports said that police had tracked down and fined an unnamed person 40,000 roubles (£320) for posting a message on a social media site monitored by Russian government officials, which said: "Z stands for assholes.

Unusual surely in that the longer it took to find him the less his fine became worth, presumably?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. As things are now.

But the hypothetical rabbit hole we were going down in that part of this thread was that Trump could well have pulled USA out of NATO and at that point an invasion of the Baltics backed up with nuclear threats would be a different prospect.
I don't think the nuclear threats change anything re whether the USA were in or out of Nato. If the US were out of Nato, Russia still couldn't compete with Europe in a conventional war, and if they used Nukes then France and Britain would have more than enough to destroy Russia, and it's not like Russia would allow a European nuclear war without sending any to the US, so you're simply talking about WW3 whether the US were in Nato or not.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
[tweet]1502761903046774786[/tweet]

Arrested for holding a blank piece of card eh?

What should we expect next?

Standing still doing nothing in particular in a public place?
Loitering with intent to greet others with a knowing wink?
Standing too close to others you have winked at, thereby forming a protest group?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Standing too close to others you have winked at, thereby forming a protest group?

I guess the next step is being arrested for not showing support and allegiance to Putin, a throwback to Nazi Germany.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Patel likes that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here