[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought of it as well, for all our sakes, but especially those who have relatives and friends in Ukraine.

But then I thought, is it the right thing to do, to post only the good news? In doing so, wouldn't we be giving a misleading impression of how things are going?

I believe that would be a mistake. It is vital that we know and discuss the truth, rather than just the things we want to hear.

That's what Putin does.

You're right. The covid good-news thread got a bit silly at times with some of the denial in the face of facts.

I was thinking however that given our current run, maybe we could have a match-day good news thread? You know, when Maupay misses a sitter we ignore the miss - don't post FFS Maupay or similar - and just comment on the great move that lead to the chance. And obviously any reporting of opposition goals gets an instant thread ban.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The “peace talks”’seem to follow one pattern. Putin bombs the life out of an area. Opens talks which I imagine consist of “want to surrender now? No? Okay”

Putin then up’s the ante. Chemical weapons this time round I fear.

The media is giving a very rosy picture of the war. Ukraine is having the life bombed out of it. Yes, the Russians have met some resistance. They were bound to. But make no mistake, Russia will win.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
India seems quite happy to buy some discounted Russian oil.

One official tells the news agency they were happy to take the discounted goods and says India is not concerned about getting entangled in sanctions.

They add that work is ongoing to set up a rupee-rouble trade mechanism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...2f0bdc980bea49f4b7c815&pinned_post_type=share

This is exactly the sort of thing we should be discussing. Those who are passionate having become aware can do something, write to their MP etc

It's going to be tough for us to sanction a country we've been gagging for a trade deal with though

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The “peace talks”’seem to follow one pattern. Putin bombs the life out of an area. Opens talks which I imagine consist of “want to surrender now? No? Okay”

The media is giving a very rosy picture of the war. Ukraine is having the life bombed out of it. Yes, the Russians have met some resistance. They were bound to. But make no mistake, Russia will win.

Probably you're right, not definitely.

Russia would have to keep bungling, Ukrainians will have to continue their heroic efforts for months and the west would have to ramp up the pressure even further than it has done, but there is some hope

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Difficult to know what/who to believe at the moment, so many conflicting stories. Re winning, I'm not so sure - and even if they do, what does 'win' mean ? They might have control of the complete wasteland that Ukraine will be by the time they've finished, but they'll equally have global pariah status, and a ruined economy for decades with all that entails. They might also face years of guerrilla warfare in the Ukraine - I don't see any surrender any time soon, regardless of what Putin does. Pyrrhic victory perhaps :shrug:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
India seems quite happy to buy some discounted Russian oil.

One official tells the news agency they were happy to take the discounted goods and says India is not concerned about getting entangled in sanctions.

They add that work is ongoing to set up a rupee-rouble trade mechanism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...2f0bdc980bea49f4b7c815&pinned_post_type=share

Yes, I saw that.

I also saw that the US has got wind of Russia asking Beijing for military help and aid in evading sanctions.

I don't think either of these pieces of news would appear on a Ukraine good news thread.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, I saw that.

I also saw that the US has got wind of Russia asking Beijing for military help and aid in evading sanctions.

I don't think either of these pieces of news would appear on a Ukraine good news thread.

The fact that Russia is having to ask for help is actually quite good news.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We had two threads for covid. The one where the good bad and ugly is discussed, and one for positive developments. I think both can coexist.
Covid is very different to war.

Covid was an immediate threat for some people here, and positive news for how things were looking up here was very useful for some people.

This war is destroying the lives of millions of people in Ukraine, and very few people here. Two other huge differences are that the world was united against Covid, it affected everyone, and that this War is being waged by choice.

Of course it's not for me to say what the board should have, but I don't feel we need it in the same way as we needed the Covid thread, and it also doesn't feel right to me to have a thread that only talks about the good news, while Russia could be deploying chemical weapons in Ukraine that kill many thousands of civilians. War is horrific - let's not start pretending otherwise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But make no mistake, Russia will win.
By 'win', do you mean they'll make Ukraine part of Russia, and in 30 year's time Ukraine will be a happy part of a successful Russia?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Difficult to know what/who to believe at the moment, so many conflicting stories. Re winning, I'm not so sure - and even if they do, what does 'win' mean ? They might have control of the complete wasteland that Ukraine will be by the time they've finished, but they'll equally have global pariah status, and a ruined economy for decades with all that entails. They might also face years of guerrilla warfare in the Ukraine - I don't see any surrender any time soon, regardless of what Putin does. Pyrrhic victory perhaps :shrug:
All Putin "wins" will be the ability to send more conscripts / mercenaries into the killing fields of Ukraine.

It is his "Soviet Afghanistan" and he has learned no lessons as to how that ended.

I don't particularly like the theory but the USA must be delighted at how Putin's Russia is on course to destroy itself unless it exits this war as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is exactly the sort of thing we should be discussing. Those who are passionate having become aware can do something, write to their MP etc

It's going to be tough for us to sanction a country we've been gagging for a trade deal with though

Don't bother if it's Rishi Sunak though as his father in law is the richest man in India. A fact, not a dig at the Tories.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Kadyrov claims he is in Ukraine.

Claims.

Surely the number one target to be taken out. Top of the list for a NATO missile if we need to retaliate for a Russian missile hitting Poland.

My arse he's really there, big tough guy hiding behind 100's of gun toting islamic extremists and Putins patronage in Chechnya.

If he dared to really go to Ukraine, they'll gut him.

Likely propagnada from a safe basement miles from frontline. Right now, he's probably laying on a big bed, sipping pink gin writing tough guy BS online.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My arse he's really there, big tough guy hiding behind 100's of gun toting islamic extremists and Putins patronage in Chechnya.

Likely propagnada from a safe basement miles from frontline. Right now, he's probably laying on a big bed, sipping pink gin writing tough guy BS online.

#TeamWali if he is………

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

You think the Russians will take the capital?

How long do you think that will take?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

There are reports of him in a school full of children in Donetsk ( so he doesn't meet a missile close up ).

I assume he'll be back in Chechnya pretty quickly now he has made his token PR appearance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports