Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are reports of him in a school full of children in Donetsk ( so he doesn't meet a missile close up ).
So a couple of weeks after Putin stated that Donetsk wasn't part of Ukraine, Kadyrov is correcting him and stating that it is.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Latest (sort of) from my friend in Ukariane.

Having not heard from Robin since 6th March, we now know Robin and his wife finally managed to get out of their village north east of Kyiv last Thursday. His wife's company provided transport when Robin could not get his car out of the garage due to no electricity and artillery/bomb damage. They made it to Kyiv and then left for Poland to join their daughter, however we have not heard from them since. Hoping they have already got to Poland and some senblence of safety.

Slava Ukraini

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Having not heard from Robin since 6th March, we now know Robin and his wife finally managed to get out of their village north east of Kyiv last Thursday. His wife's company provided transport when Robin could not get his car out of the garage due to no electricity and artillery/bomb damage. They made it to Kyiv and then left for Poland to join their daughter, however we have not heard from them since. Hoping they have already got to Poland and some senblence of safety.

Slava Ukraini

Excellent news that they made it out safely. I hope you hear from them soon.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I still can't quite get my head round the fact that a ruthless gangster, who has never been near a free election in his life, can seize control of a nuclear super power, rule his people by fear, crush, arrest or poison any and all dissent, plunder his nation's wealth to the tune of untold billions, and invade peaceful neighbouring countries, killing countless innocent people, because he has a lifelong grudge over the break up of the Soviet Union.

Having written it down, it still sounds totally absurd.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I still can't quite get my head round the fact that a ruthless gangster, who has never been near a free election in his life, can seize control of a nuclear super power, rule his people by fear, crush, arrest or poison any and all dissent, plunder his nation's wealth to the tune of untold billions, and invade peaceful neighbouring countries, killing countless innocent people, because he has a lifelong grudge over the break up of the Soviet Union.

It happens when no one is brave enough to say “no”

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, you are quite right -it does seem ridiculous that this can happen. Perhaps it is because the Russian people have been fed government propaganda for so long that they simply lap it up -just now a correspondent said that on his travels he encountered so many who believed that Ukraine was the aggressor. I witnessed something minor but similar when visiting East Germany right after the wall came down.I was with a family whose children had never heard another language and they said that I did not speak DDR Sprache. They didn't say German just that mine was not the DDR language.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There are some incredibly brave people around.

[tweet]1503445657805373446[/tweet]

Yeah shes actually a presenter on Channel 1 which is a big station, already been taken to jail.

She made a video in advance too

English translations for you to read, admits its all BS propaganda

[tweet]1503457457393352706[/tweet]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah shes actually a presenter on Channel 1 which is a big station, already been taken to jail.

Thanks for the context and wow even more amazing and brave. Such an inspiration. There is at least hope for the Russians yet.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Dread to think what will happen to her now. Probably never seen again

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Beaten up and tortured I guess?

Perhaps.

I'm not sure if any of these brave attempts to put the truth in front of the Russian TV audience help all that much. I'm guessing but we're not talking about a sophisticated audience here.
We're talking about an audience who have been fed state controlled TV all their lives. When an attractive TV presenter goes all 'Ukraine' on them, I'm not sure if they would accept her views, or just switch off, or shout at her to bugger off.

The problem with methods like these, is that the TV presenter is risking her freedom, her career and perhaps her life.

It may need a more elaborate, targeted and subversive approach. I suspect that many Russians are discussing this right now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Perhaps.

I'm not sure if any of these brave attempts to put the truth in front of the Russian TV audience help all that much. I'm guessing but we're not talking about a sophisticated audience here.
We're talking about an audience who have been fed state controlled TV all their lives. When an attractive TV presenter goes all 'Ukraine' on them, I'm not sure if they would accept her views, or just switch off, or shout at her to bugger off.

The problem with methods like these, is that the TV presenter is risking her freedom, her career and perhaps her life.

It may need a more elaborate, targeted and subversive approach. I suspect that many Russians are discussing this right now.

The people who most need to be discussing this in Russia are those with access to Putin's meals and drinks........

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The people who most need to be discussing this in Russia are those with access to Putin's meals and drinks........

I heard that he has food tasters. I've no idea if it's true, but it probably is. I understand that Russians have a bit of previous in this regard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I heard that he has food tasters. I've no idea if it's true, but it probably is. I understand that Russians have a bit of previous in this regard.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised at all.

We are talking a mad bloke in a bunker who thinks he's the only person in the world that matters, He makes Trump look sane.

So it would need collaboration between the chef and taster. :wink:

Or maybe someone should just shoot him in the head. Either way, the best way out of this is Putin dying very soon.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Perhaps.

In this instance, a woman that they have been trusting to tell them the facts for years is coming clean, it is far more persuasive than an unknown person on the street. I am in awe of all the people that know full well that the state is willing to imprison, torture, and murder dissidents, but feel it is their moral duty to tell the truth, because the lies allow murder elsewhere to go unpunished, I don't know if I would have the courage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here