Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
Why did you post it then? Are you posting things with the deliberate aim of attracting a hostile response?

That I was expecting a hostile response doesn't mean I was looking for one.

In fact, the very things you questioned, my "defensiveness", was an effort to try to avoid a hostile response.

I could just as easily ask you, are you suggesting that I am posting things with the aim of attracting a hostile response in order to discourage me (or anyone else) from correcting anything which may be wrong or being misinterpreted?

I just figure I will try to tell the truth as I see it, and try to help keep what is quite a tense and difficult discussion, factual. That's all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I used to work with someone who would use " your " when they meant " you'll "

Now, in their defence, sometimes when you say " you'll " it could be heard as " your " but when you write it down like that. And then send it out to people in e-mails. In your mid-twenties. Nah, not having that.

My "boss", and I use that term very loosely, recently sent me an email saying "you write" instead of "you're right". He's in his late 30s, has a Master's in Linguistics and is Director of Studies at an English academy :ffsparr: It was by no means his first offence either.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That I was expecting a hostile response doesn't mean I was looking for one.

In fact, the very things you questioned, my "defensiveness", was an effort to try to avoid a hostile response.

I could just as easily ask you, are you suggesting that I am posting things with the aim of attracting a hostile response in order to discourage me (or anyone else) from correcting anything which may be wrong or being misinterpreted?

I just figure I will try to tell the truth as I see it, and try to help keep what is quite a tense and difficult discussion, factual. That's all.

OK, to summarise, you are claiming you aren't a troll and truly believe your own commentary is factual.

First, I have no idea whether Russia intend to invade Moldova.

The map in the video isn't exactly clear, and I don't know whether the map is authentic, as in a real invasion plan, or an 'invention' for information warring purposes.

https://inews.co.uk/news/russia-inv...-battle-map-putin-plans-after-ukraine-1493407

Given that I can't tell from the map, whether Russia intend to invade Moldova or not, how are you so sure that it tells us that they won't?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just seen that those arrested for protesting in Russia will be sent to do military service in Donestk and Luhansk

It's all creaking at the seams for the Russian control *****. There's only so much containment you can do before
it starts to spill over into mass civil unrest.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just seen that those arrested for protesting in Russia will be sent to do military service in Donestk and Luhansk

I guess the idea is "thought correction" send them somewhere inside Ukraine that is not hostile to Russian forces.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
OK, to summarise, you are claiming you aren't a troll and truly believe your own commentary is factual.

First, I have no idea whether Russia intend to invade Moldova.

The map in the video isn't exactly clear, and I don't know whether the map is authentic, as in a real invasion plan, or an 'invention' for information warring purposes.

https://inews.co.uk/news/russia-inv...-battle-map-putin-plans-after-ukraine-1493407

Given that I can't tell from the map, whether Russia intend to invade Moldova or not, how are you so sure that it tells us that they won't?

You asked why I sounded defensive, and you accuse me of being a troll, so I guess you have both asked and answered your own question.

I think it's best if we just end this conversation.

Here is what was posted and I replied to:

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 3.08.09 PM.png

Here was my response:

Doesn't that red part of the map actually represent the region of Moldova called "Transnistria" which is a breakaway territory.

I'm not arguing for the legitimacy of that breakaway region, only that the image doesn't represent a planned incursion into Moldova, but rather a reinforcing of a position which Russia already holds. I'm not saying that's good either, I'm just saying don't look at that image and assume that it represents Russian troops entering new territory, and it would be very misleading to present that as a plan to "Invade Moldova".

TransnistrianRegionMap.png

The caption on the picture was misleading, I tried to offer some further context. I guess people will have to make up their own mind if I am a troll or not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that surely cant be serious? send people in to a conflict they knowingly against might be low for moral and lead to instant desertion?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Here is what was posted and I replied to:

View attachment 145694

Here was my response:

The caption on the picture was misleading, I tried to offer some further context. I guess people will have to make up their own mind if I am a troll or not.

To me that looks like they either are intending to liberate Moldova or they want it to look like they will liberate Moldova.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
True to form, you avoid the question. So I'm going to ask it again. Here it is:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Putins call with Macron doesn't sound great ...

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
that surely cant be serious? send people in to a conflict they knowingly against might be low for moral and lead to instant desertion?

Apparently this legislation was put forward by the some members of the LDPR. Apparently they have 21 / 450 seats in the State Duma. People should be a bit cautious about what they hear/read during a time like this.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Believe he already did, in other posts: because Russia *already* holds that area of Moldova (under cover of a peacekeeping mission). So moving into that specific area would not be a new invasion, merely a reinforcement of existing presence. Now the real question is, if Putin does intend to send troops there ... what's his plan for them?

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021

This is so twisted.

You cannot tell from the map whether Russia intend to invade Moldova. Correct.

The claim was that you can tell from the map that it will be invaded, and that the map is proof of that. But you can't, and it isn't, for the reasons I stated.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It's all creaking at the seams for the Russian control *****. There's only so much containment you can do before
it starts to spill over into mass civil unrest.

You do realise what happened to Russians through years of communist rule? There was no unrest as a result of the consequences!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is so twisted.

You cannot tell from the map whether Russia intend to invade Moldova. Correct.

The claim was that you can tell from the map that it will be invaded, and that the map is proof of that. But you can't, and it isn't, for the reasons I stated.

no you're right. obviously Russia would want to push forces from landings at Odessa to secure the Moldova border, rather than into the interior of Ukraine. :rolleyes:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putins call with Macron doesn't sound great ...
Putin made Macron look like an absolute mug in pre-invasion talks.

He won't let that happen again with the election coming up.

I imagine there is very little goodwill left in Paris.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's the job of the mods to ultimately decide what is acceptable or not. Nobody else.

This, and people would do well to remember it.

Besides, the pay's terrible since Mustafa flounced (how he'd enjoy this thread!) and you still have to go through an initiation ceremony involving [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] a wetsuit and a melon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here