Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Has RT News now been officially banned from our TV?

I've just tried to watch it on Freesat and it's just coming up as scrambled channel. All the other News channels are working.

I know there were moves here to ban it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I've just tried to watch it on Freesat and it's just coming up as scrambled channel. All the other News channels are working.

We haven't banned it.

But we take the feed from the EU - and they've turned it off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1499092688070750219[/tweet]

[tweet]1499286388008755204[/tweet]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
On Sky; Putin is saying that Ukrainians and Russians are ‘one people.’ He is using the same ‘brainwashing’ argument that many on here use when someone disagrees with them. In this case apparently Ukrainians are brainwashed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I’m glad it’s off air. However I don’t understand why it’s ‘willy waving’ if taken off by the UK Government but not ‘willy waving’ if taken off by the EU…..

I think the point he was making was that the UK has been willy waving, and not banned or sanctioned RT, the EU has effectively removed RT from UK screens by it's actions, which are more than willy waving.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Personally, and I realise this probably goes against the grain, but I'm not in favour of banning such channels.

RT News is clear propaganda from Russia, obviously, but then I don't pretend that other channels exist in a cultural vacuum either. I'd rather hear all sides and make up my own mind.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My sister in Crawley works with a young Ukranian girl who is currently in pieces and under sedation after hearing her parents were both killed in the indiscriminate Russian bombing earlier this week. Poor girl is 23 and now wants to go back and fight

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’m glad it’s off air. However I don’t understand why it’s ‘willy waving’ if taken off by the UK Government but not ‘willy waving’ if taken off by the EU…..

Because the UK a government are claiming that it’s down because of them … when it isn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On Sky; Putin is saying that Ukrainians and Russians are ‘one people.’ He is using the same ‘brainwashing’ argument that many on here use when someone disagrees with them. In this case apparently Ukrainians are brainwashed.

I saw a Ukrainian comment on a Russian news report that called Belarus, Russia and Ukraine Brotherly nations, saying "Thank God Ukraine only has 2 Brothers"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My sister in Crawley works with a young Ukranian girl who is currently in pieces and under sedation after hearing her parents were both killed in the indiscriminate Russian bombing earlier this week. Poor girl is 23 and now wants to go back and fight

That's awful. And incredibly brave to want to go back to fight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because this government has done basically nothing except spout pointless drivel like Dorries is doing here. If the UK govt had taken this decision and then Dorries wanted to trump it as an example of something tangible we were doing, it wouldn't be willy waving.

You may have noticed that it is the EU who are taking all the action whereas we are doing very little.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

No words for that. Can't event begin to imagine how she is feeling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That’s tragic. So many needless deaths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here