Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Apologies if fixtures, but Imran Khan isn't exactly playing with a straight bat? Glad handing and meeting up with Putin?

I thought Pakistan as part of the Commonwealth would be on 'our side' in all this?

they are aligning against America old boy......and their allies, along with China , India and a fair few other entities , it would appear that America and it's allies have rubbed at least 50% of the globes population up the wrong way.....quelle surprise...??

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apologies if fixtures, but Imran Khan isn't exactly playing with a straight bat? Glad handing and meeting up with Putin?

I thought Pakistan as part of the Commonwealth would be on 'our side' in all this?

I think the feeling was it was bit of a set up - deliberately. And Khan couldn't cancel at the last minute as it would not have been a good look + was for other matters, but obviously going isn't great either

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's bad enough trying to find the truth of what is happening in Ukraine without the British Government adding to the lies of war :rolleyes:

Sanctions on Russia: Did the UK sanction 100 people last week?

At Prime Minister's Questions, Boris Johnson told MPs the actions the UK had taken in response to the invasion of Ukraine "are having an effect in Moscow". He said the UK had sanctioned "275 individuals already, a further 100 last week, the impact is being felt".

Mr Johnson has referred to the 100 figure several times in the past week. But when Reality Check asked for the names of the 100, the government could not provide them and said: "We'll let you know as soon as we have further details to add." Instead, it sent a list of every person and company currently sanctioned by the UK, including people from Iran and North Korea. It shows that 15 individuals have been sanctioned in the past week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60591547

In the words of Bob Geldof, Get the f***ing Sanctions done NOW. They are being proven to work and there is absolutely no excuse for delaying them while people are dying.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
there are different legal systems though. abroad they may (or may not, we'll see) be able to legally seize anyones property on the say so of a government official, with varying levels of evidence. apparently we dont let our ministers do this. i kinda find it uncomfortable that so many people want this to be possible, because its not the sort of thing we normally accept. too easy to dismiss this as anything else, it could be, or could be just our legal process. its going to be awkward down the road if a bunch of sanctioned persons are sueing for compensation from governments.

Funny innit - setting up dodgy procurement routes, 'VIP lanes' and buying a load of shit from any old person during a pandemic we can move quickly. Seizing assets from Russian Oligarchs they've been wining / dining and taking money off for years - yeah sorry need to follow due course and let it play out :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yet proroguing parliament was being considered a genuine option in order to force through their wishes without pesky democracy getting in the way. No uncomfortable thoughts there.

im very much against the proroguing of parliament. one legal shit show doesnt justify another.

D

Deleted member 22389

there are different legal systems though. abroad they may (or may not, we'll see) be able to legally seize anyones property on the say so of a government official, with varying levels of evidence. apparently we dont let our ministers do this. i kinda find it uncomfortable that so many people want this to be possible, because its not the sort of thing we normally accept. too easy to dismiss this as anything else, it could be, or could be just our legal process. its going to be awkward down the road if a bunch of sanctioned persons are sueing for compensation from governments.

Your quite right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
im very much against the proroguing of parliament. one legal shit show doesnt justify another.
Fair enough, but the simple fact is they could rush through a special bill more-or-less overnight to make this happen, and in contrast to other nations, they have chosen to sit on their hands. The impression I get of this government is that it will always avoid doing the right thing if it means avoiding a few awkward moments at an illustrious black tie dinner event. This inertia over Russian oligarchs is right up there with not placing a much needed windfall tax on energy profits while the vulnerable continue to avoid using gas and power.

Your quite right.
It's "you're". And is it really quite right? Really?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Your average street corner drug dealer can easily have his pile of cash and other assets seized 'pending investigation' by the police for months on end. But unable to do so against Russian Oligarchs? Hmmmm - difference is expensive lawyers.

D

Deleted member 22389

Fair enough, but the simple fact is they could rush through a special bill more-or-less overnight to make this happen, and in contrast to other nations, they have chosen to sit on their hands. The impression I get of this government is that it will always avoid doing the right thing if it means avoiding a few awkward moments at an illustrious black tie dinner event. This inertia over Russian oligarchs is right up there with not placing a much needed windfall tax on energy profits while the vulnerable continue to avoid using gas and power.

It's "you're". And is it really quite right? Really?

Am I not allowed an opinion on here. And dont be so bloody rude.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Correct. Russia have already invaded the part of Moldova that they call Transnistria, so how can they invade it again?

P.S. Why are you being so defensive? (I'm not arguing, I'm not saying etc).
Indeed.

Putin invaded Moldova some time back and got away with stationing some troops in Transnistria.

Interesting theories being floated - which I see as unlikely - of Moldova now making moves to merge with Romania and thus getting instant EU membership and NATO protection.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Am I not allowed an opinion on here. And dont be so bloody rude.
What are you talking about? Yes, you're allowed an opinion - but as usual you aren't really adding anything are you? I'd quite like to know why you think he was right. And it IS "you're". How is it rude to point that out?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Indeed.

Putin invaded Moldova some time back and got away with stationing some troops in Transnistria.

Interesting theories being floated - which I see as unlikely - of Moldova making moves to merge with Romania and thus getting instant EU membership and NATO protection.

Romaniadova? Molmania?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Grammatical standards have to be upheld on this sight please.
Using the wrong "your", "there" or "could of" is absolutely basic stuff isn't it. It's usually Brexiteers too isn't it? So patriotic that they can't be arsed with spelling the language properly.

I'd be embarrassed if my kids had been making these mistakes beyond the age of about six.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Using the wrong "your", "there" or "could of" is absolutely basic stuff isn't it. It's usually Brexiteers too isn't it? So patriotic that they that can't be arsed with spelling the language properly.

I'd be embarrassed if my kids had been making these mistakes beyond the age of about six.

Totally agree Simster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here