Ronnie Biggs Dies

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's your prerogative.

The only person who holds him in any sort of high regard appears to be you. And that is your prerogative, although your reasons appear laughable. i.e. that he was running from a long jail term.

You remind me of Captain Rum in Blackadder:

Edmund: I was under the impression that it was common maritime practice for a ship to have a crew.
Rum: Opinion is divided on the subject.
Edmund: Oh, really?
Rum: Yesss. All the other captains say it is; I say it isn't.
Edmund: Oh, God; Mad as a brush.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The only person who holds him in any sort of high regard appears to be you..

I make you right - on this site. Where a majority of posters also seem to agree that people deserve to be sent to prison for throwing a punch at a football match...

Won't be losing any sleep for being in a minority on here.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I make you right - on this site. Where a majority of posters also seem to agree that people deserve to be sent to prison for throwing a punch at a football match...

But they do....That would be common assault? Or am I missing something?!?!

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Only a week or so ago people were celebrating the life,of a person who was responsible for 100s of deaths, now today a petty thief,who got lucky,died,and people say what a bad guy he was........

Careful, your are not allowed to mention such things like necklacing, bombing or writing books on how to be a good communist.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite randomly my Uncle met him last year. In the back of an Ambulance.

Both being taken home from a hospital visit.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

How is life in the middle of a badly-written gangster novel?

Failed Walter Mitty characters with no sense of morality, justice or consideration, trying to live out a fantasy everyone else laughs at.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
British culture is steeped in hypocritical morality. It's part of our DNA.

Robin Hood, Dick Turpin, Spring Heeled Jack. The Cheddington Train Robbery (it was the press and public interest that made it 'great') was at a time of anti-establishment feeling and railing against the ruling classes. What does the judge say "Let us clear out of the way any romantic notions of daredevilry" as if to ignite the very notion in the public consciousness. So the establishment upon realising this growing public and media lauding of the crime makes an example with the sentencing thus creating the legend.

Rallying against Reynolds or Biggs after their death as if they somehow created or deserved their legend, or were even part of it is entirely missing the point really. They are merely characters now of a great British tradition of celebrating a particular moment in time when one in the eye for the establishment was seen as something almost heroic. That their characterisation of cheeky chappies on a crime caper bares no resemblance to their actual selves or actions is neither here nor there.

It was a moment in our cultural history that then stirred those old feelings of Turpin and Hood. Trying to objectively reason that against what was a brutal crime against an individual, and a collection of career criminals with plenty of victims behind them is not easily done or easy to understand, but showing hatred to Biggs only feeds the mythology as much as those that celebrate him.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
British culture is steeped in hypocritical morality. It's part of our DNA.

Robin Hood, Dick Turpin, Spring Heeled Jack. The Cheddington Train Robbery (it was the press and public interest that made it 'great') was at a time of anti-establishment feeling and railing against the ruling classes. What does the judge say "Let us clear out of the way any romantic notions of daredevilry" as if to ignite the very notion in the public consciousness. So the establishment upon realising this growing public and media lauding of the crime makes an example with the sentencing thus creating the legend.

Rallying against Reynolds or Biggs after their death as if they somehow created or deserved their legend, or were even part of it is entirely missing the point really. They are merely characters now of a great British tradition of celebrating a particular moment in time when one in the eye for the establishment was seen as something almost heroic. That their characterisation of cheeky chappies on a crime caper bares no resemblance to their actual selves or actions is neither here nor there.

It was a moment in our cultural history that then stirred those old feelings of Turpin and Hood. Trying to objectively reason that against what was a brutal crime against an individual, and a collection of career criminals with plenty of victims behind them is not easily done or easy to understand, but showing hatred to Biggs only feeds the mythology as much as those that celebrate him.

Good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports