Ronnie Biggs Dies

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
All this talk about Biggs takes me back to the playground when I was a nipper. Everyone told the same joke over and over "Ronnie Biggs has been caught! He was in a phone box and pressed button B and 4 coppers came out!" Coppers and button B will baffle kids nowadays.

The thought of using a phone box would baffle kids nowadays

Incidentally I am 28 and have no idea what you mean!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So your argument for raising a jar to Biggs was that he wasn't a nonce who got away with a light sentence?

FFS. :nono:

I'm NOT a nonce and have NEVER been convicted of a criminal offence! I'll be in the North Stand on Saturday accepting all the 'jars' I'm due.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it is fairly fatuous comparing sentences for two crimes which are separated by fifty years. Why not go the whole hog and say we used to hang people for sheep stealing.

Agreed, some retarded logic going on in this thread:

Person A: Ronnie Biggs was a legend.
Person B: No he wasn't, he was a ****.
Person A: Yeah, but, look at these other ****s.

Brilliant.

Last edited:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
So your argument for raising a jar to Biggs was that he wasn't a nonce who got away with a light sentence?

FFS. :nono:

I've explained my reasons for raising a jar to Ron's memory in another post. I was just highlighting that the same justice system that saw fit to give him a 30 year sentence is the same justice that hands a convicted nonce a 32 MONTH sentence. Hands up they are 50 years apart so maybe it isn't relevent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
OK that is a fair point. That said 30 years for what he did was not a fair sentence in my opinion.

I agree that the 32 months could well have been too little, and that 30 years for the train robbers might have been too long, but I still have - or rather had - little sympathy for mr Biggs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He made mistakes in his life (which he came to regret), but ultimately I will remember him as a good bloke.

I'm still puzzled as to why you feel moved to honour the death of a thief.
What exactly did he do to win your admiration ? He thieved, he ran, he came back for free treatment for his illness when his money ran out.

Am I missing something ?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I'm still puzzled as to why you feel moved to honour the death of a thief.
What exactly did he do to win your admiration ? He thieved, he ran, he came back for free treatment for his illness when his money ran out.

Am I missing something ?

I admire that he wouldn't accept the sentence he was given. The courts tried to make an example of him and it ended with him taking the piss out of them. I respect the audacity.

For what it's worth he didn't come back for free treatment. When he came back he thought he had a lot less time than he did - he wanted to die in his home country and ideally be a free man when he kicked the bucket, a wish which has been granted to him.

In all Ronnie served 10 years in prison for the robbery. Which I think is at very least a fair amount of time to serve for his involvement.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Audacity ? Or self preservation ?

Its an amazing story for sure, but I still see nothing in this man whatsoever to admire.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Only a week or so ago people were celebrating the life,of a person who was responsible for 100s of deaths, now today a petty thief,who got lucky,died,and people say what a bad guy he was........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports