Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] rishi sunak

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sunak is smart enough to not use the word austerity, but he will absolutely install austerity 2.0, because the Americans say it’s good for business.

austerity never got beyond 0.1b. a buzzword Osborne used to keep the his camp onside while doing next to nothing, picked up as a criticism because its a cheap soundbite.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hasn't he lost every time he's dabbled?

Indeed.

“Farage has stood for election to the House of Commons seven times, in five general elections and two by-elections, but has not won any of those elections.”

Whilst he is a bit of a hero to about 10% of the population, the other 90% see him for what he really is; an utter c**t.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're are not alone Clampy, millions have worked all the way through Covid and millions more have had financial difficulties as a result but I'm sure we can all agree that any mention of violence even semi-joking should be avoided considering recent events.

I think perhaps you’re trying to take my comment a little too seriously. I withdrew the comment, no need to salt the bacon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So it seems the latest leak regarding Partygate is a photograph that shows Johnson enjoying a can of beer at an event in Downing Strert.......also pictured is Rishi Sunak holdimf a soft drink...this was taken by Johnson's Official Photographer...

Is it possible this release is a deliberate act to try to smear Sunak and drag him in to the ongoing scandal? Does Johnson know he's going down and he's going to take one of his main rivals with him? Don't bet against it!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
austerity never got beyond 0.1b. a buzzword Osborne used to keep the his camp onside while doing next to nothing, picked up as a criticism because its a cheap soundbite.

I’m sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you. The cuts to mental health services have had the biggest impact according to the frontline police officers I know. When there’s no meaningful mental health support, it’s the police that have to pick up the pieces when someone reaches crisis and takes matters into their own hands.

There are people who have to go into cells overnight for their own protection, or if they’ve done a better job at trying to end things, then it’s straight to hospital where there can be a multi-hour wait before the patient is booked in and considered safely handed over. Below are some stats/articles that help evidence some of austerity’s impact.

Austerity was real, and has contributed to a lot of completely unnecessary misery and pain, in what was previously a civilized, developed country. I’d never seen a government actively try to take us backwards towards “developing nation” status before Osborne.

Health Service:

https://www.health.org.uk/chart/cha...uk-has-changed-over-a-rolling-ten-year-period

An extract from Full Fact on U.K. police numbers:

“The number of police officers in England and Wales fell by 20,600 between March 2010 and March 2019, down to 123,200 officers (126,300 including those from the British Transport Police and those on secondment.”

And here’s a link to an article detailing how cuts to the settlement given to local councils has affected their spending:

How cuts changed council spending, in seven charts http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46443700

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So it seems the latest leak regarding Partygate is a photograph that shows Johnson enjoying a can of beer at an event in Downing Strert.......also pictured is Rishi Sunak holdimf a soft drink...this was taken by Johnson's Official Photographer...

Is it possible this release is a deliberate act to try to smear Sunak and drag him in to the ongoing scandal? Does Johnson know he's going down and he's going to take one of his main rivals with him? Don't bet against it!

Johnson doesn’t know he’s going down…. won’t understand the prospect….wouldn’t accept it if he was told in words of one syllable……a total sociopath.
Sunak is a dealer…….in corruption. Money to donors no questions asked. Frauds not investigated (his wife’s included). Negotiating with U.S. healthcare in the middle of a pandemic. Increasing taxes for the poorest while reducing them for corporations. The opposite side of the same coin

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
For anyone who lives in Mid Sussex, I’ve just had the latest response from Mims Davies to the ongoing shambles in No 10. She remains resolutely loyal to Johnson and disappointed at the behaviour of pretty much everyone else in No 10. She welcomes Johnson’s response to Sue Grey and suggests we are all patient until the Met police complete their work.

It’s a sign of how far the Tory party has sunk that this is considered a reasonable response to the indisputable lies from a PM and an ongoing police investigation. Davies of course owes her seat and ministerial job to Johnson (as does the reprehensible Andrew Griffith in neighbouring Arundel and South Downs) so she is clearly putting constituents and country second to her own interests.

He wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it is impossible to imagine her predecessor Nick Soames putting up with this madness - he was a Tory but he also had integrity. Now of course hounded out by the Brexit / Johnson extremists.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

So the rampant cuts to the public sector, the closing of libraries, sure start centres, almost non existent wage growth, the rise in food banks, homelessness, rough sleeping, poverty, child poverty… actually never happened because the thing that led to them happening was actually just a “soundbite” ???

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just a quick question, when this first came out, if Bojo had admitted that he had done wrong and apologise there and then would this still be going on, or would we all just left it at that?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just a quick question, when this first came out, if Bojo had admitted that he had done wrong and apologise there and then would this still be going on, or would we all just left it at that?

Had he done that (against a background of what we now know is the extent of his lies) he would’ve had to resign there and then. He didn’t. He wouldn’t. He won’t.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I’m sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you. The cuts to mental health services have had the biggest impact according to the frontline police officers I know. When there’s no meaningful mental health support, it’s the police that have to pick up the pieces when someone reaches crisis and takes matters into their own hands.

yeah thats terrible. question i ask is why was that cut, why wasnt there a legal statute to fund such a service? fact is budgets where held or even increased, in no year were there net cuts to public spending (except 2014 there was a real terms reduction). authorities had to suffle the deck to pay for services they had to provide, non-core went to cover rising costs in core. no one ever really stopped to ask why services they thought essential were cut, just blamed austerity. in many areas there wasnt a formally funded service, peicemeal provision across the country. maybe if people realised this they'd campaign for proper recognition and funding.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
For anyone who lives in Mid Sussex, I’ve just had the latest response from Mims Davies to the ongoing shambles in No 10. She remains resolutely loyal to Johnson and disappointed at the behaviour of pretty much everyone else in No 10. She welcomes Johnson’s response to Sue Grey and suggests we are all patient until the Met police complete their work.

It’s a sign of how far the Tory party has sunk that this is considered a reasonable response to the indisputable lies from a PM and an ongoing police investigation. Davies of course owes her seat and ministerial job to Johnson (as does the reprehensible Andrew Griffith in neighbouring Arundel and South Downs) so she is clearly putting constituents and country second to her own interests.

He wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it is impossible to imagine her predecessor Nick Soames putting up with this madness - he was a Tory but he also had integrity. Now of course hounded out by the Brexit / Johnson extremists.

Mims Davies was MP for Eastleigh, our neighbouring constituency until she announced she was standing down to spend more time with her family……. Which seems to have translated to “stand in a safer seat”.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
yeah thats terrible. question i ask is why was that cut, why wasnt there a legal statute to fund such a service? fact is budgets where held or even increased, in no year were there net cuts to public spending (except 2014 there was a real terms reduction). authorities had to suffle the deck to pay for services they had to provide, non-core went to cover rising costs in core. no one ever really stopped to ask why services they thought essential were cut, just blamed austerity. in many areas there wasnt a formally funded service, peicemeal provision across the country. maybe if people realised this they'd campaign for proper recognition and funding.

That is nonsense. There were net cuts to public services every year from 2010 to 2019.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

More like he doesn't want RS to push him off the wall....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Always worth remembering that things will never get better for the bottom half of society whoever is in charge of the Tory party. Labour will never get a fair chance at changing our society for the better and the con that the Tory party are trying to make the country for everyone will persist simply because they have the best propaganda machine.

Johnson will fall and deserves to do so but his replacement won't help " The Many ", nothing will change

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That is nonsense. There were net cuts to public services every year from 2010 to 2019.

i said spending went up. £673bn to £849bn between those years, which is about inline with inflation. also the national debt rose substantially to cover a chunk of the spending.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
i said spending went up. £673bn to £849bn between those years, which is about inline with inflation. also the national debt rose substantially to cover a chunk of the spending.

That’s not the same as public spending. Services have been cut so where did the money go?
Perhaps it was the study into a new ferry service that didn’t have any ferries, or the £900K consultation on a bridge to Ireland that could never be built because of buried armaments in the Irish Sea?
In the meantime fire stations were closed, 10 in London alone, 50% of magistrates courts closed etc

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That’s not the same as public spending. Services have been cut so where did the money go?

you need to accept public spending increased 26% in those years, then follow on from your very good question, where did it all go? if a service is cut, why when there was more money?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here