[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I remember his home debut. He ripped the opponent’s ( Preston?) right back a new one in the first half who was then subbed off. Think we were leading 3-0 at the break.

Sadly I was also there at Selhurst when the terrible tackle from Henry Hughton ended his career.
RIP Gerry.
I have this vision of the match clearly in my head (however I do stand to be corrected on the following)
I was standing at the front of the south near that invalid carriage (this isn’t in dispute) we went in at half time 4 nil up, the late Mike Baxter put through his own net twice. Gerry scored with his head.
The Goldstone in them days was the greatest place on Earth

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh that is sad.

I remember watching the World Cup at his pub in Lindfield.

What a player he was.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He was only 68. What was he doing in a hospice?

I knew he hadn't been well, but....

Not wanting to take this too far off topic but hospices are amazing places. Normally anyone who is using services provided by a hopsice has a terminal diagnosis and less than a year to live.

They can help both the patient and their family cope with those final days, weeks, months with a range of help from pain management and therapies, to respite stays and they help the patient live their finals days the way they want to and provide bereavement support after the patient has died.

There shouldn’t be any stigma attached to hospice care what so ever.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I have this vision of the match clearly in my head (however I do stand to be corrected on the following)
I was standing at the front of the south near that invalid carriage (this isn’t in dispute) we went in at half time 4 nil up, the late Mike Baxter put through his own net twice. Gerry scored with his head.
The Goldstone in them days was the greatest place on Earth
I was on the East Chicken Run.
Everything seemed to go down the left that game where Gerry was absolutely unstoppable.
Funny how you remember certain games and this was one, as it was an unbelievable debut.
i was also at anfield when he scored our first in that remarkable win in the Cup. perhaps our greatest ever win up until fhat point.

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
I think Gerry scored Brighton's first ever division one ( premier) goal, coming on as sub against Ipswich. I was there, and again to see the legendary goal v Man City.
All time favourite player for my father and I.
RIP Gerry.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can remember singing with Ernest and Jacko at away matches (to the tune of There’s No One Quite Like Grandma by the St `Winifred’s School Choir)

(Boom boom boom)
Gerry we love you, Gerry we do
Though you may miss open goals, we still love you
And one day, when we’re older, we’ll look back and say
It’s good old Gerry Ryan who has helped us on our way (Boom, boom, boom)

Proper old school winger, we still have the memories

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Really sad to read this, he was my first Albion hero as a lad, met him loads of times as a kid playing in one of the junior seagulls teams, he always made time to come and meet the youngsters.
RIP Sir, a true legend in the stripes.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can remember singing with Ernest and Jacko at away matches (to the tune of There’s No One Quite Like Grandma by the St `Winifred’s School Choir)

(Boom boom boom)
Gerry we love you, Gerry we do
Though you may miss open goals, we still love you
And one day, when we’re older, we’ll look back and say
It’s good old Gerry Ryan who has helped us on our way (Boom, boom, boom)

Proper old school winger, we still have the memories
This! You never quite knew which Gerry Ryan was going to turn up. The one that made defenders look silly, or the one wearing two left wellies and made himself look silly. And that was all part of the charm of him and his game - and why we all liked him so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports