Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can remember the crowd chanting Ge-fry over and over . He was a crowd favourite.... often a “super sub” but a very important part of the team . He cannot have been that old .A sad loss indeed .RIP Gerry.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Very sad news , RIP Gerry. You gave us some fantastic memories .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I didn’t see so many games when we were first in the top division as I was of an age where I had a Saturday job, but the standout memories for me all have Gerry in them. From the promotion winning game at Newcastle through to the terrific performances as Chris Ramsey’s replacement at full back in the two Wembley games, he played a huge part in what was our greatest team until recent years.

Sadly, I was also at Selhurst to witness the worst assault I’ve ever seen on a football pitch that robbed him of the last years of his career.

A very sad day. Thanks for the memories, Gerry.

In 1978 I arrived from Australia, young and raw and bemused to a cold wet England, and had to go to the Goldstone to picked up for the bus to Waterhall as I had blagged a trial with the Albion. Having arrived late, i missed the mini bus so i was wandering around the main stand trying to find someone and bumped into who I later learned was Gerry Ryan who missed the 1st team coach to training so we hunted out someone to get us a lift. Later that day I found myself in a 5 aside game with the 1st team with Gerry on my side. Vale Gerry.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Very sad news.
I always loved watching Gerry play.
A great player, a great club servant and a lovely, lovely man.
RIP Gerry.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very sad news. Gerry Ryan's Albion playing days preceded by time as an Albion fan but he was one of the few Albion players with national cut through as I did know of him. An excellent player at the heart of so many great memories for so many Albions and a terrific bloke to boot. RIP Gerry.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A true Albion legend, an excellent player in one of our best teams in one of the most exciting spells in our history.

RIP super Gerry Ryan.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Im too young to have seen him play but knew him from The Witch. He served me my first legal pint on my 18th Birthday. A really nice guy RIP

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good memories. 68 Is very young these days. Was he ill for a long time ? I think his son played local football but maybe went back ti Ireland with him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here