Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I first remember Gerry as Liam Brady's assistant in the mid-nineties. They did a decent job at a very difficult time for Brighton And Hove Albion FC.

But living in Haywards Heath, a trip to The Witch pub meant a well kept boozer and a quick chat with Gerry and sometimes, Liam Brady.

I cannot believe that he has gone at such a relatively young age. My thoughts and prayers are with Gerry's family and friends at this very sad time. RIP Gerry.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Such sad news.

Thankfully so many wonderful memories of Gerry playing for the Albion. My highlight his goal at Upton Park when he seemed to just drift past most of the West Ham team before scoring.

RIP
I think that was on the first day of a new season, on what looked a very hot and exhausting afternoon near the end of the match. It was shown on ITV4 football nostalgia not that long ago.

Scoring at Upton Park in the early eighties when West Ham had a dream midfield of Trevor Brooking, Frank Lampard senior, Alan Devonshire and Billy Bonds was a fine achievement.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Mine too. Bye Gerry, and thank you.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
This is so sad. Many memories of the Goldstone, Wembley, St James's Park and that unfortunate place in SE London. Liverpool. Nottingham Forest. Saw them all. RIP.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Absolutely gutted! What a legend, my favourite player of that era, he was one of these players that you somehow sensed the opposition would underestimate and duly pay for it and that happened time and time again, a super sub too and such a versatile player.

He was magic, such a trier and whenever he scored he always celebrated like it was his first ever goal, wonderful! Scored in so many important games and you could tell he loved playing for us at the goldstone.

I was at Selhurst that fateful night too and it was the most deliberately sickening tackle he was given by Henry Houghton, so much so Danny Wilson sprinted the width of the pitch to punch him in the face and didn’t even get a booking from the ref. Sad end to a brilliant player as is this news now - a true club legend and I hope the club give him suitable tributes at the next game, he thoroughly deserves it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
What a player. i was just that little too young to really appreciate him, but was always a player i looked out for on the team sheet as Dad took me and my stool into the chicken run. RIP Gerry.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
52 yr old JCL checking in to say he was one of my favourites when I eventually started going to games. Met him a few times years later. Lovely bloke. RIP

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He was just before my time but was one of my dad's favourite players. I grew up listening to stories of him and he belonged to a select group of greats from the period 5-10 years before I started going. He was up there with Lawrenson, Ward, Case, Horton, Foster.

I know him from the stories of his exploits on the pitch and form his time as Brady's assistant.

RIP Gerry.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Really sad to learn of this. Condolences to his family. RIP Gerry, you were one the Albion greats.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
No social media.
No endorsement deals.
No mega salaries.
No energy drinks.
No sportwashing.

As a regular player, your only off-field claim to fame was a feature in Shoot magazine or a Panini sticker.

I know there's a lot of razzamatazz about the game today, but part of me misses the authenticity of the era when Gerry played.

1697545939685.png

And 'yes', I'm fully aware of all the bad stuff from those times too - hooliganism, appalling haircuts, pitches that were 10% grass/20% mud/70% sand, inedible food, football specials etc.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Gerry Ryan was also a folk hero at Bohs - where he won a league medal and an FAI cup medal before moving to Brighton. A sad loss -

392756398_726227346211398_6551323906629555450_n.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No social media.
No endorsement deals.
No mega salaries.
No energy drinks.
No sportwashing.

As a regular player, your only off-field claim to fame was a feature in Shoot magazine or a Panini sticker.

I know there's a lot of razzamatazz about the game today, but part of me misses the authenticity of the era when Gerry played.

View attachment 168160

And 'yes', I'm fully aware of all the bad stuff from those times too - hooliganism, appalling haircuts, pitches that were 10% grass/20% mud/70% sand, inedible food, football specials etc.
arguably the pitches tested the technical ability of a player more than the current ones do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Penning my tribute for the paper this week, I'd probably go as far to say given his achievements and his part in our amazing story, Gerry's got to comfortably be in the top 50 greatest ever Albion players?

Good player, but not sure he’d be in the top 50, and not ‘comfortably’.
Interesting question though.

Good piece though @Lenny Rider - I’d almost forgotten the Forest goal….

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Started going in 1989 so never saw him play. For those that did, which current Albion player would you compare him to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here