Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Very sad news. A full on Albion legend with some iconic goals that you will never forget.
Quite a few muddled fond memories from enjoyable late nights at the Witch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think Gerry scored Brighton's first ever division one ( premier) goal, coming on as sub against Ipswich. I was there, and again to see the legendary goal v Man City.
All time favourite player for my father and I.
RIP Gerry.
Sorry you are mistaken.

Following our 0-4 home defeat to Arsenal we played away at Aston Villa in the midweek following and lost 2-1 with Teddy Maybank scoring our first goal in the top division.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry you are mistaken.

Following our 0-4 home defeat to Arsenal we played away at Aston Villa in the midweek following and lost 2-1 with Teddy Maybank scoring our first goal in the top division.
@johnjim was almost right. Ryan's goal against Ipswich after coming on as sub was HIS first division one goal (but as you say - not the club's, we'd scored 7 before that game).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As I have posted elsewhere, the Albion number 12 shirt has just been retired in my mind. Rest in peace Gerry.

(I blame Henry Hughton)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very sad news. A tremendous chap deserving of all the love his memory is going to receive x

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for posting @Lenny Rider

I just about remember Gerry playing. I was a young boy but even to me he stood out.

However, I very much remember him as landlord of The Witch in Lindfield. We’d drop in after cricket matches in the area and I would anyway if I was nearby. A lovely man.

RIP and sincere condolences to his family and friends
Yes, I'm sure we met him there or one or two occasions when we played at Hickmans Lane.

My main memory was the second goal against Liverpool in 1984. But of course he did much before then.

RIP great man.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sorry you are mistaken.

He hit the bar in the first minute against Arsenal ❤️

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, I'm sure we met him there or one or two occasions when we played at Hickmans Lane.

My main memory was the second goal against Liverpool in 1984. But of course he did much before then.

RIP great man.
We did, and that game’s my best and clearest memory too

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
RIP. Great player for us. Played in the first game I attended. Thoughts go out to his family.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Weirdly heard the news as I was on the train from Lewes to Brighton and just passing the Amex. A true hero of mine in my early years of following the Albion and up there among my favourite ever players - always exciting to watch and scored some truly memorable goals (not least that amazing one against Man City!). RIP Gerry.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We did, and that game’s my best and clearest memory too
Apparently we went to Gerry's pub after the famous 'wrongly decisioned' game.

Another memory I have of him was the brace he scored against Charlton Athletic in the 7-0 drubbing. One I forgot was his opening goal at Anfield in 1983.

Last edited:

Ezzun

May 8, 2020
Our local team used to use the Witch after games on a Saturday (one or two of us before the game too!) I remember once in a training session I played against him. Being a lumbering ox of a defender, I was convinced the greatest moment of my career had come as I closed in on Gerry for a tackle there was no way I wasn't going to win. What seemed like micro-seconds later, he was 5 meters past me with the ball at his feet...

A real gent who I was lucky to be on 'chit-chat' terms with whenever we crossed paths - I'll never forget the winner against Spurs in '83 when we came back from 1-0 down with two goals in the dying minutes. Not a great goal, but he always stood up for us when needed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How very sad. As a footballer, you would want to be remembered and he will be. He played with character, style and enthusiastic panache to score some memorable goals. A player the fans could get behind and enjoy watching. RIP Gerry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here