Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Corey Monteith

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
But addiction is a mental illness like depression.

It would depend on what medical model you base that assertion on. I don't hold with it to be honest...

I'll repeat my earlier post, which you conveniently ignored:

No-one chooses to get depression, but people choose to take drugs...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When did I say that? My point is addiction is a mental illness like depression, it can cause very good people to do very silly and very dangerous things, dismissing people with addiction as just plain stupid is to completely misunderstand what they are going through.

I'm addicted to love but have the good sense to not rape every woman I meet.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
It would depend on what medical model you base that assertion on. I don't hold with it to be honest...

I'll repeat my earlier post, which you conveniently ignored:

No-one chooses to get depression, but people choose to take drugs...

And you think depressed people are always capable of making the correct choices, like not to use drugs and alcohol to make them feel a tiny bit better when nothing, nothing else will work?

Spun Cuppa

If you have a predisposition to mental illness with certain triggers, those triggers will cause an episode. Having a predisposition to addiction doesn't make you go and seek your narcotic of choice if you have never tried any. Mental illness finds you, addiction you have to find for yourself...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Cause of death unknown. NSC writes him off as a druggie.

Lets wait and see. Especially after the Stephen Gately episode where the evential cause of death turned out to be a heredetory (sp?) heart condition.

Spun Cuppa

And you think depressed people are always capable of making the correct choices, like not to use drugs and alcohol to make them feel a tiny bit better when nothing, nothing else will work?

It's an argument about freewill, and whether anyone makes the right decisions for themselves in any given situation. This applies to 'ordinary' people in all walks of life. Why do you think the prisons are bursting at the seams atm? Someone argued that everyone in clink is 'mentally ill', or they wouldn't have transgressed. The earlier point stands, as not all 'mentally ill' people are in prison...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
That is an amazingly stupid thing to say, I am talking about people with mental illness who are not always capable of making the right or even rational choices.

You were talking about addictive personalities, why should sex and drugs be differentiated. Blinkered defence of drug taking, often comes from those with most to defend.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
You were talking about addictive personalities, why should sex and drugs be differentiated. Blinkered defence of drug taking, often comes from those with most to defend.

I may have depression and I do take a lot of drugs but they are now and have always been prescribed.
Can you explain what you meant by 'Blinkered defence of drug taking, often comes from those with most to defend' I am sure you were not calling me a drug addict but I just want to be clear.

Spun Cuppa

Just answer me one question:

Bloke A goes to the doctor after losing his wife, and his job due to his depression over his bereavement. The doc listens and advises a short course of medication, some Occupational Therapy, and some counselling...

Bloke B goes to the doctor and tells him he has been smoking weed for nine months, and has now progresssed to heroin, and has been on it for two months, but is getting bad physical symptoms, so can the doc suggest anything to help...

Can you see a difference in the two cases?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I may have depression and I do take a lot of drugs but they are now and have always been prescribed.
Can you explain what you meant by 'Blinkered defence of drug taking, often comes from those with most to defend' I am sure you were not calling me a drug addict but I just want to be clear.

Does your depression come with a persecution complex? If so I will stop this discussion.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Just answer me one question:

Bloke A goes to the doctor after losing his wife, and his job due to his depression over his bereavement. The doc listens and advises a short course of medication, some Occupational Therapy, and some counselling...

Bloke B goes to the doctor and tells him he has been smoking weed for nine months, and has now progresssed to heroin, and has been on it for two months, but is getting bad physical symptoms, so can the doc suggest anything to help...

Can you see a difference in the two cases?

You see the first example, 'bloke A' shows we are talking about 2 completely different conditions when we say depression. Do you think depression can only occur as a reaction to sad events, like bereavement or losing your job?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Does your depression come with a persecution complex? If so I will stop this discussion.

You did not answer my question from a while ago, try again...

Just wondering how do you feel about depression, often related to addiction, is it just people feeling down or an illness like cancer or heart disease? How do you feel about millionaires and other very successful people, like TV stars who suffer from depression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here