Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ring of Fire

D

Deleted member 22389

We started it at Fulham and it caught on. Just as most football songs do.

It's fun and when everyone twirls their scarves it looks fecking awesome.

Some songs can be become really corny, work a few times and then die out, but I do like this ring of fire. It does have some staying power.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Must admit I hadnt noticed it being played as the only 2 tunes I connect to are Hey Jude for the fanzone, time to go to my seat and GOSBTS when the teams come out dont pay attention to any other music unless its a live performer or to what Richie Reynolds has to say.

I do try to finish my last swig of beer to be there for the start of fanzone and contribute to it, as this helps to set the atmosphere for the match -that is the least we fans can do. I am NOT saying that you don't, by the way. We have had threads on here in the past bemoaning the lack of atmosphere at the Amex, but if we all made a conscious effort to be there for Fanzone, then this would help, though I do admit that under Hyppia it was hard to sum up the necessary degree of enthusiasm, knowing what was to come. . . .

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Great at Fulham and the bouncing kept me warm, Charlton was decent as well. At home even the non singers and moaners can help by twirling the scarf.

SAC

May 21, 2014
So do other clubs use it ?

Or is it very much ours ?

Just had a look on YouTube (if it ain’t on there, it didn’t happen).

Liverpool fans are singing it in 2005 as well as many other times. There are also videos of Derby, Weymouth (about 3 fans and a drum), Boca Juniors, Palace, Stoke, Feyenoord. The Boca Juniors and Feyenoord videos are worth a watch.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just had a look on YouTube (if it ain’t on there, it didn’t happen).

Liverpool fans are singing it in 2005 as well as many other times. There are also videos of Derby, Weymouth (about 3 fans and a drum), Boca Juniors, Palace, Stoke, Feyenoord. The Boca Juniors and Feyenoord videos are worth a watch.
Palace sing it! Oh my God that'll upset the song Nazis. Can't sing anything that Palace have used, can we?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I think that a lot of songs are about expressing something at a particular period of time, and have a natural shelf life.

"We Love You" was a cathartic way for the whole ground to pour out our turmoil, pain and anguish when we were thrown into admin with the very real prospect of losing our club completely. Nowadays when we are rather more comfortable, it is frankly a bit embarrassing.

Perhaps Ring Of Fire expresses a way of regrouping and refocussing at a pivotal stage of an up till now poor season?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think that a lot of songs are about expressing something at a particular period of time, and have a natural shelf life.

"We Love You" was a cathartic way for the whole ground to pour out our turmoil, pain and anguish when we were thrown into admin with the very real prospect of losing our club completely. Nowadays when we are rather more comfortable, it is frankly a bit embarrassing.

Perhaps Ring Of Fire expresses a way of regrouping and refocussing at a pivotal stage of an up till now poor season?

A remarkably good point!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Or perhaps a hot curry the night before?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We should encourage people to wear a scarf to home games to allow some twirling.

After all, it's still chilly at the moment.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Or perhaps a hot curry the night before?

As performed by Freddie Flintoff in Mumbai. 2006 last test day 5. Game set for draw and England to lose series.Lunchtime rendition of Ring of Fire laughing at the effects of hot spicey curry. Back on the field and Freddie gets Rahul Dravid 3rd ball. India then lose 7 wickets for 25 runs and the series is drawn.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They could do with turning it off a wee bit earlier before kick-off IMHO. The referee seems to wait for it to finish before blowing his whistle, probably because he would otherwise be drowned out.

I think they should play it for as long as they can!, gets everyone revved up for the game, and maybe let's the opposition know how up for the game everyone is.

Interesting too that the announcer doesn't bother naming our substitutes just before kick-off anymore either, so that the music can start earlier!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think they should play it for as long as they can!, gets everyone revved up for the game, and maybe let's the opposition know how up for the game everyone is.

Interesting too that the announcer doesn't bother naming our substitutes just before kick-off anymore either, so that the music can start earlier!

Isn't that just a tad twattish tho? Dropping match information in favour of a slightly gormless grown-up extension of fanzone? There's a time and a place shirley. And the time is about five minutes earlier. IMHO its on a par with goal music in the cringeworthy stakes. Doubtless a subtle if harmless marketing ploy by the club to sell more scarves. Bah humbug!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Isn't that just a tad twattish tho? Dropping match information in favour of a slightly gormless grown-up extension of fanzone? There's a time and a place shirley. And the time is about five minutes earlier. IMHO its on a par with goal music in the cringeworthy stakes. Doubtless a subtle if harmless marketing ploy by the club to sell more scarves. Bah humbug!

Possibly, but then if it stokes up the atmosphere, get's the crowd going, and helps us on our way to three points, am l really bovvered?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Don't give away Barber's money making tricks away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here