[Albion] Right back!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Maybe Spence on loan. Leeds in for him on a permanent apparently. That right back Luton have on loan is decent.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I thought Milner was signed to mainly play as a sub filling in when needed so the fact he is starting every game is a concern.
Rather like Verbruggen’s start yesterday, I wonder if the intention is to give them plenty of early game time so they’re integrated well before the European games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve been banging on about this all summer and usually posters disagree with me but why on EARTH are we not trying to sign one alongside a physical centre midfielder?! We were roasted down that side today.

They’re the two positions we’re absolutely crying out for signings in. Hopefully Baleba is done but we desperately need a new right back. It’s staring us in the face.
I think the thing is that the usual posters get bored and irritated when anyone bangs on about something (e.g., see @b.w.2. ), i.e., repeatedly posts the same thing, again and again, repeatedy. Saying the same thing in different posts. Keeps on saying the same thing.

I wasn't aware that you're one of them :shrug:

However, Webster was too slow and of bad judgement yesterday. He faffed for one goal when row Z was the right choice, and he stood off for another when he should have intercepted the cross.

MOTD highlighted Wham deliberately exploiting the space Webster was meant to patrol.

That said, creating that space is a consequence of the way we play. It is part of our high risk strategy. Must do better. Not sure how without disrupting our flow. A Webster upgrade (someone faster) may be something. Otherwise it will be possible for a team to get 20% possession and beat us on the break.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As others have said, RDZ often plays a ‘false’ right back, normally Groß or Milner who are essentially playing right midfield most of the game. That tactic normally works but smart low block managers (Dyche, Moyes etc) can take advantage.

This means that once the ball is lost, there is a lot of pressure on the right centre back. We probably need a player more like Caicedo and less like Webster in that position. We need power, pace and exceptional tackling ability - that’s not Adam Webster. He was targeted by Moyes, was it his worst game for us today?
Precisely! :thumbsup:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Efan Verguson?
Against a team playing as defensively as West Ham you just have to score the first goal. We had our chances and that would have changed the game, As it was one mistake and they had their goal. which they could then defend. On another day an entirely different outcome. Dont change the system because of one set back just maybe tinker a bit and carry on

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I thought Milner was signed to mainly play as a sub filling in when needed so the fact he is starting every game is a concern.
Totally agree - did Milner really expect to start every week? Because I certainly didn’t - if that’s the case then we need a new RB also not at all convinced that playing 2 upfront helps too - either Fergie or welbeck but not both

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
right back was not one of the positions de zerbi mentioned in his presser, which is concerning to me. maybe if we get left back cover it can be someone versatile enough to cover both sides?

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
D
Playing gross and Milner on the same side of the pitch is going to put a lot of responsibility on the RCB on the counter. Webster isn’t the Mitigant in this situation.
Didn’t Gross play in the middle with Gilmour? March was on the right

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Who was in the middle of that was the case?
It looked like a 4 4 2 to me
I had gross down as RCM further back than March
It all seems a bit complicated
2 in the middle 2 wider that’s the simplest way March covers the right full back
Mitoma the same on the left
That’s where it all gets complicated when players start getting given strange positional labels RCM RCDM LCM etc
And yes I know the game has moved on but sometimes the simple principles are the best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports