Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Right back!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’ve been banging on about this all summer and usually posters disagree with me but why on EARTH are we not trying to sign one alongside a physical centre midfielder?! We were roasted down that side today.

They’re the two positions we’re absolutely crying out for signings in. Hopefully Baleba is done but we desperately need a new right back. It’s staring us in the face.
Veltman!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
How about this guy:

Pretty sure RDZ and the club have not given up on him.

aware naylor has posted that he’s not leaving, but that aside, to me he’s just not the same player anymore. can’t string together a decent run if fitness, has lost a yard of pace since the injury, which was his big weapon. he’s never been that much of a great dribbler or crosser, and he’s suspect defensively.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
aware naylor has posted that he’s not leaving, but that aside, to me he’s just not the same player anymore. can’t string together a decent run if fitness, has lost a yard of pace since the injury, which was his big weapon. he’s never been that much of a great dribbler or crosser, and he’s suspect defensively.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Very accurately summed up. Aside from the injury taking that yard of pace for RDZ his passing is not perhaps good enough and he will give away possession.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I get the impression based on the Sporting Lisbon/Lamptey rumours in January, that we might have looked to sell this summer (benefiting Lamptey and us), but the injury made that difficult.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But Veltman very rarely lets us down, a brilliant defender and team player (CB’s and RW can rely on him).

We need someone of that quality at least.
I like Joel Veltman and would rather see him fill the void at right back than either Gross or Milner, both much better utilized elsewhere, but Veltman's stock in trade is as a right sided centre back, and he isn't the type to go on marauding runs along the right wing.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I too am completely baffled by veltman being left out.

A player who has either been good, very good, or terrific in near enough every game he's played for us.

Lamptey can then get the chance to prove his fitness and ability when cup games start coming round.

Whatever, let's not play full backs who are very slow or are actually center mids

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I too am completely baffled by veltman being left out.

A player who has either been good, very good, or terrific in near enough every game he's played for us.

Lamptey can then get the chance to prove his fitness and ability when cup games start coming round.

Whatever, let's not play full backs who are very slow or are actually center mids
I quite agree with your final point, for a Premier League club about to commence their first season in european competition it's b affling to say the least why we don't seem willing, or able, to sign one single custom made right back.

As far as Lamptey is concerned, l'm going to go out on a limb and say, l think that long term injury will put paid to his carrer here at Brighton. I hope l'm wrong.

Jimmy Grimble

The Veltman/Milner debate is the kind of topic I’d hope a journalist queries RDZ on just so we can get an idea of his thinking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Joel Veltman and would rather see him fill the void at right back than either Gross or Milner, both much better utilized elsewhere, but Veltman's stock in trade is as a right sided centre back, and he isn't the type to go on marauding runs along the right wing.

Wasn’t that at Ajax?

For us, he’s mainly been a RB. Stats websites state that.

And a fkn brilliant one, I love him and he saves wildlife 😍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here