[Albion] Right back!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve been banging on about this all summer and usually posters disagree with me but why on EARTH are we not trying to sign one alongside a physical centre midfielder?! We were roasted down that side today.

They’re the two positions we’re absolutely crying out for signings in. Hopefully Baleba is done but we desperately need a new right back. It’s staring us in the face.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Valid question mark. You tell me? I wanted us to sign one regardless of Veltman but if he’s not fit enough or RDZ doesn’t trust him to play there anyway we urgently need a new one.

And that would then allow us to play Milner in CM a bit more to give us a bit of physicality which is really lacking at the moment. Gross looks half the player he did last season without Caicedo and Mac Allister.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Valid question mark. You tell me? I wanted us to sign one regardless of Veltman but if he’s not fit enough or RDZ doesn’t trust him to play there anyway we urgently need a new one.

And that would then allow us to play Milner in CM a bit more to give us a bit of physicality which is really lacking at the moment. Gross looks half the player he did last season without Caicedo and Mac Allister.
I wouldn't blame Gross or Gilmour. They are having to do jobs that are not in their wheelhouse as much. With the squad we have we either need to bring in a dedicated physical defensive mid or change they style a little to accommodate the players.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
I wouldn't blame Gross or Gilmour. They are having to do jobs that are not in their wheelhouse as much. With the squad we have we either need to bring in a dedicated physical defensive mid or change they style a little to accommodate the players.
Not blaming Gilmour, thought he was ok today but Gross and Miler stunk as badly as Webster.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
RDZ has shown multiple times he is happy to have a CM at RB. Maybe he even prefers it.
Webster's poor performance isn't just about calamitous mistakes, mistakes are borne out of pressure. We were so exposed.
It was obvious to anyone watching the Wolves game with a semi-critical eye that we are incredibly open at the moment and very vulnerable to players driving through the middle and balls over the top (both centrally and to the wings).
Most centre backs don't like to be pulled wide, turned, run at. Not that Webster didn't have a mare, he did. But I do think it's a little more nuanced than that. We don't look like a defensive unit at the moment. I suspect a proper right back (Veltman?!) playing more often than not would improve this but I genuinely think RDZ prefers what a less defensive player can bring to the team on the ball. I just think that he probably takes these results on the chin (even though I'd imagine he went absolutely mental at both HT and FT).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As others have said, RDZ often plays a ‘false’ right back, normally Groß or Milner who are essentially playing right midfield most of the game. That tactic normally works but smart low block managers (Dyche, Moyes etc) can take advantage.

This means that once the ball is lost, there is a lot of pressure on the right centre back. We probably need a player more like Caicedo and less like Webster in that position. We need power, pace and exceptional tackling ability - that’s not Adam Webster. He was targeted by Moyes, was it his worst game for us today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports