Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Right back!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Valid question mark. You tell me? I wanted us to sign one regardless of Veltman but if he’s not fit enough or RDZ doesn’t trust him to play there anyway we urgently need a new one.

And that would then allow us to play Milner in CM a bit more to give us a bit of physicality which is really lacking at the moment. Gross looks half the player he did last season without Caicedo and Mac Allister.

I'd like another option there too. But thinking back to the days of Grealish living in Joel's pocket has me thinking.

I'm a fan of Milner too though and won't be getting too upset by the happenings of today. Roll on next week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With what we have currently; Veltman at right back and Milner in for Cashado
Said that walking back from P&R to my son. I’d assumed we’d signed Milner as European experience and as a ball winner in midfield. Certainly not as an ersatz right back. Use Veltman / Lamptey or sign someone

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Valid question mark. You tell me? I wanted us to sign one regardless of Veltman but if he’s not fit enough or RDZ doesn’t trust him to play there anyway we urgently need a new one.

And that would then allow us to play Milner in CM a bit more to give us a bit of physicality which is really lacking at the moment. Gross looks half the player he did last season without Caicedo and Mac Allister.
Very harsh, though he was just too slow today, when we needed to play at a higher tempo.

Milner was really poor, as was Welbeck.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
RDZ has shown multiple times he is happy to have a CM at RB. Maybe he even prefers it.
Webster's poor performance isn't just about calamitous mistakes, mistakes are borne out of pressure. We were so exposed.
It was obvious to anyone watching the Wolves game with a semi-critical eye that we are incredibly open at the moment and very vulnerable to players driving through the middle and balls over the top (both centrally and to the wings).
Most centre backs don't like to be pulled wide, turned, run at. Not that Webster didn't have a mare, he did. But I do think it's a little more nuanced than that. We don't look like a defensive unit at the moment. I suspect a proper right back (Veltman?!) playing more often than not would improve this but I genuinely think RDZ prefers what a less defensive player can bring to the team on the ball. I just think that he probably takes these results on the chin (even though I'd imagine he went absolutely mental at both HT and FT).

I know what you mean, I think you’re correct.

But on the left he plays a proper LB.

I think of Gross or Milner at RB as RDZ improvising for the moment, not his ideal RB.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Very harsh, though he was just too slow today, when we needed to play at a higher tempo.

Milner was really poor, as was Welbeck.
There was no space behind. Both DW and EV had no space to run into.
Had to turn their CB’s but didn’t as they left no space in behind and played a 5 low block.
Perfect template on how to play against us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There was no space behind. Both DW and EV had no space to run into.
Had to turn their CB’s but didn’t as they left no space in behind and played a 5 low block.
Perfect template on how to play against us.
Yes, but Welbeck made some really poor runs when we had the ball out wide, there were at least 4 occasions when he never made an attempt to run across his man to get to the near post.

It was poor. With less space in the area and more bodies, he has to move to the near post now and again, not just hover on the penalty spot.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I’ve been banging on about this all summer and usually posters disagree with me but why on EARTH are we not trying to sign one alongside a physical centre midfielder?! We were roasted down that side today.

They’re the two positions we’re absolutely crying out for signings in. Hopefully Baleba is done but we desperately need a new right back. It’s staring us in the face.
Aye. It is staring us in the face.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We spent near on £20m for a very physical looking defender this summer maybe a battle of strength between him and Antonio would have been a better match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here