Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2011

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is Oriental Village in Portslade still decent ? Not been for 12months+ and fancy going there again

I went there 2 or 3 months ago - food was very good. It's nice that you can have as much as you like although each serving brought out is a little small. It's good value at 315 though and I usually go one the spur of the moment rather than use it as a planned night out.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
From what I've seen eaten over last month....still standing by earlier views.

Best steak in England - goodman... Mayfair/city. Although Wolfgang pucks "cut" is opening soon.

Best burger in the world - hawksmoor - shoreditch/c.garden

Best Japanese in England - zuma - knightsbride .... Better sushi than nobu and much better atmosphere. Only down side is that it's Andy murrays favourite restaurant.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Without traipsing through this thread, is there a decent 'rack of ribs / burger / steak' place in Brighton that isn't Dig In The Ribs?

Not that Dig In The Ribs is decent any more. :(

Rock & Roller? Last time I was there everyone seemed to be impressed with the burgers and steaks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to The Worlds End last night and checked out the Texan pit-BBQ menu after hearing superlative reports from friends and reading the highest praise from Jay Raynor. The chef learnt his trade in Texas and has held the British BBQ title for 3 consecutive years now. Without doubt the best ribs I have ever had, the meat was so soft and smokey. The menu extends to burgers and mexican things as well. Oh, and try the armadillo egg. A creme-cheese stuffed chilli pepper covered in sausage meat and wrapped in bacon..and given the smoke treatment.

Put simply if meat if your thing you should get down to this pub.

I had a good gas with the owner Richard as well. A lovely chap and I wish him well with his boozer.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I went to The Worlds End last night and checked out the Texan pit-BBQ menu after hearing superlative reports from friends and reading the highest praise from Jay Raynor. The chef learnt his trade in Texas and has held the British BBQ title for 3 consecutive years now. Without doubt the best ribs I have ever had, the meat was so soft and smokey. The menu extends to burgers and mexican things as well. Oh, and try the armadillo egg. A creme-cheese stuffed chilli pepper covered in sausage meat and wrapped in bacon..and given the smoke treatment.

I had a good gas with the owner Richard as well. A lovely chap and I wish him well with his boozer.

Rich is a good chap as it goes, as you said the food is a bit good. They also do take away I'm pretty sure?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rich is a good chap as it goes, as you said the food is a bit good. They also do take away I'm pretty sure?

They do. I only spoke to Rich for about 10 minutes but he seemed a really nice and chilled guy.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

This sounds like where I might want to go for my birthday next week! I'm guesing you dont need to book.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
The Hove Kitchen is great, cheap-ish too, actually I'm off there tonight for a meal although I prefer their breakfasts - best eggs benedict I've tasted

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Krua Anne - Kenny Gardens

Best thai food I've had in Brighton (possibly with the exception of Sabai). Nice and easy on the chilli which I find a problem with most Thai, just TOO hot for no reason. Have the seafood sharing thingy to start, it's deLISH. Not at all harsh on the wallet either, plus it's BYO! Delightful for a nice cheap meal out, if I am made to eat Thai in this town again (not at all my favourite) I'll go here. Or Sabai, but that is getting a tad pricey nowdays. Service good too.

8.5/10

I'm going to Krua Anne tomorrow for my birthday, usually go to Pompokos but thought I would try this place for a change. Does anyone know of any other decent BYO places in town?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This sounds like where I might want to go for my birthday next week! I'm guesing you dont need to book.

We did not book but if you have a large-ish group maybe give them a call. I'm pretty sure they'd set a table aside for you. It is a pub though, not a restaurant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Last week I sampled the Chilli Pickle lunch menu, had some kind of paneer wrap which was the nuts. The lamb wrap we tried was a tad dry but I'm sure it was intended, just not my thing.

Being the greedy bastard I am the next day we went to the Ginger Pig for lunch. Two courses for ten quid. We had a duck scotch egg which was decent if small and an excellent game terrine. The mains of bangers and mash and potted shrimp and samphire risotto were both really good. Couldn't help but go for a pudding which I thought would be pretty small but out came a HUGE chocolate parfait with ice cream and banana bread. Excellent food and good value at lunchtime.

Next evening was Terre a Terre and their standards have not slipped, if anything they have lightened the menu a bit as I used to find the mains a bit heavy. It ain't cheap there though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last week I sampled the Chilli Pickle lunch menu, had some kind of paneer wrap which was the nuts. The lamb wrap we tried was a tad dry but I'm sure it was intended, just not my thing.

Being the greedy bastard I am the next day we went to the Ginger Pig for lunch. Two courses for ten quid. We had a duck scotch egg which was decent if small and an excellent game terrine. The mains of bangers and mash and potted shrimp and samphire risotto were both really good. Couldn't help but go for a pudding which I thought would be pretty small but out came a HUGE chocolate parfait with ice cream and banana bread. Excellent food and good value at lunchtime.

Next evening was Terre a Terre and their standards have not slipped, if anything they have lightened the menu a bit as I used to find the mains a bit heavy. It ain't cheap there though.

Do you actually have a kitchen in your accomodation?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Man has good taste, in the last few weeks I have been to both Chilli Pickle and Terre a terre. Both excellent as usual. In chilli pickles case I was glad to see the oxtail madras back after it seemingly was consigned to the previous premises. Agree about the prices with Terre a terre I was in there on a sunday evening and the place was completely rammed, so I guess they have it about right. Another place that seems to largely go unmentioned on here is Pomegranate in Manchester street. Top top nosh (ooo err)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Oh Also has anyone else tried Ottomon along the Lewes road? Pretty decent but very very rich food, not recommended if calories are being monitored!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh Also has anyone else tried Ottomon along the Lewes road? Pretty decent but very very rich food, not recommended if calories are being monitored!

Yes! Ottoman I foudnd to be excellent. Great posh kebabry.

I do have a kitchen! Just went a tad nuts last week. Paying for it now, literally....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went back to the Foragers Pub again this week and still bang on the money. The Pork Belly special was fantastic as was the pheasant. Highly recommended.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Still struggling to find anything I like more then The Medicine Chest.

Solera Tapas on Sydney Street im loving,

Been to Mr Noodle on Queens Road a couple of times (love Pompoko and youll love this - although quieter, the food is great, same sort of price)

MIght try Worlds End as its less than a 10min walk from home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here