Restaurant 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still struggling to find anything I like more then The Medicine Chest.

Solera Tapas on Sydney Street im loving,

Been to Mr Noodle on Queens Road a couple of times (love Pompoko and youll love this - although quieter, the food is great, same sort of price)

MIght try Worlds End as its less than a 10min walk from home

Funnily enough I saw you walking along nearby with a newly purchased clothes airer last night.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to Otellos in Hove yesterday with friends and kids. Decided to go as I've had decent meals there before and great service. What a disappointment - greated quite rudely because we were a few minutes late, service was slow and grumpy, had to send two main dishes back because it seemed the chef had tipped a whole packet of salt in and the profiteroles were very very poor. 2/10 ( I'll go again on the assumption it was an off night ).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I went to The Worlds End last night and checked out the Texan pit-BBQ menu after hearing superlative reports from friends and reading the highest praise from Jay Raynor. The chef learnt his trade in Texas and has held the British BBQ title for 3 consecutive years now. Without doubt the best ribs I have ever had, the meat was so soft and smokey. The menu extends to burgers and mexican things as well. Oh, and try the armadillo egg. A creme-cheese stuffed chilli pepper covered in sausage meat and wrapped in bacon..and given the smoke treatment.

Put simply if meat if your thing you should get down to this pub.

I had a good gas with the owner Richard as well. A lovely chap and I wish him well with his boozer.

I went there after the match on Saturday. It was so good. Tried the ribs which were fantastic and unlike any i'd had anywhere else, and the armadillo egg is amazing

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I went to Chilli Pickle last night, despite the trepidations regarding the garishness of its new location I actually think the decor and atmosphere in there is good. The smell of spices that hits you when walking is glorious. Typically good food as well, felt stuffed afer my starter and popdoms though!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I went to Chilli Pickle last night, despite the trepidations regarding the garishness of its new location I actually think the decor and atmosphere in there is good. The smell of spices that hits you when walking is glorious. Typically good food as well, felt stuffed afer my starter and popdoms though!

Have to agree the building in its previous incarnations always seemed soulless and a bit "artificial" however I think now the place feels warm and friendly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went there after the match on Saturday. It was so good. Tried the ribs which were fantastic and unlike any i'd had anywhere else, and the armadillo egg is amazing

I'm pleased you liked it. And you went for the same as me, ribs and the egg. And that egg is something else.

Here is the article which got me interested. In summary, we have the best BBQ food to be had in the UK, so make the most of it.

Restaurant review: BBQ Shack | Life and style | The Observer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to agree the building in its previous incarnations always seemed soulless and a bit "artificial" however I think now the place feels warm and friendly.

This is interesting. I really thought they'd struggle to make a go of this particular space. Everyone else has, and it looked a gamble. But, it seems they have pulled it off. I've yet to go but I have heard numerous and increasingly good reports. Fair play.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm pleased you liked it. And you went for the same as me, ribs and the egg. And that egg is something else.

Here is the article which got me interested. In summary, we have the best BBQ food to be had in the UK, so make the most of it.

Restaurant review: BBQ Shack | Life and style | The Observer

Yeah i'd been meaning to go since I read that, Jay Rayner's the only food critic i've got any time. It's very odd, having such good food in a pub like that, but as he says in the review, quite apt

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The post impressive thing about Chilli Pickle, in my opinion, is the service. It's warm and friendly and there's always a smile for you. This helps a lot. The lighting is also very sympathetic.

Can anyone recommed some places for cheap eats central. Pompoko has really taken a nosedive, haven't had a good bite from there for ages which is a shame.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The post impressive thing about Chilli Pickle, in my opinion, is the service. It's warm and friendly and there's always a smile for you. This helps a lot. The lighting is also very sympathetic.

Can anyone recommed some places for cheap eats central. Pompoko has really taken a nosedive, haven't had a good bite from there for ages which is a shame.

Mr Noodle on Queens Road is a brilliant alternative to Pompoko food wise, but its no way near as busy. Same sort of prices

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah i'd been meaning to go since I read that, Jay Rayner's the only food critic i've got any time. It's very odd, having such good food in a pub like that, but as he says in the review, quite apt

I'm with you on the Jay Rayner front. He seems to like a lot of the same, and wide ranged, food types as me (BBQ, sushi, that dry spice rubbed pakistani (I think) food, Heston Blumenthal to name a few) , and I like his style.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Giggling Squid

Delicious 'Crying Beef' with spicy dipping sauce and nicked most of my girlfriend's Honey Duck thing as well. The pad thai came with a nice little egg-next thing, the sticky rice was stickier than when sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. All washed down with a couple of Singhas. Overall I prefer the food in Bangkok Express (which is also alot cheaper) but there's not much in it, and GS is probably the nicer atmosphere.

Have been to the Giggling squid twice now. The first time it was poor simply because they add far too much sugar. I love sweet things but a sugary curry is not one of them. Tried a takeaway a few months after opening to give them the benefit of the doubt but again both sauces were hugely over-sweetened. Unless it has changed drastically in the last 6 months I would avoid.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Pompoko has gone downhill. That place above the Bead Shop isn't a bad alternative. You been to El Mexicano next to the Theatre Royal? That were pretty good t'other day.

Went to Las Iguanas last night, were alright. Nachos and massive Enchilladas came to £20 for two. Saw Lush as well, what a bonus. In other news...Oriental Noodle or whatever it's called opposite Pizza Hut on Lewes Road is shit, and The Signalman does a f***ing good veggie burger and wedges. And there's a Grubbs opening on Lewes Road.

Wexford Gull

Jun 22, 2007
Wexford,Ireland
Templars inn Seafood Bar & Restaurant (Ireland).
First (won't be the last) Visit on Sunday Cracking food.Excellent service.Kid friendly. 9/10

Absolutely no use to any of you but Myself/Wife/Daughter and visting Mother thoroughly enjoyed it.

Templars Inn

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to The Worlds End for the BBQ Shack again last night. Pulled pork sandwich and a pint of APA. Dessert (butterscotch cake) and coffee were taken at The Duke of Yorks.

The BBQ Shack rocks!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Otellos - Church Road, Hove

Quite good for the cheapish and cheerful. Seems the most authentic of the Italian restaurants in that part of Hove. Spaghetti Fruitti De Mar was great, massive prawns and huge mussels. Other places tend to use those mixed seafood packs you see in supermarkets. Pizza was pretty good too, cooked in proper fire oven

7/10

oh and another vote for BBQ shack. Been to the worlds end and had it delivered to my door. Brilliant both times

Had:
Hickory Smoked Meaty BBQ Ribs
Beef Brisket Burrito

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Couple of reports from me.
Warung Tujuh
Had heard good things about this Indonesian in pool valley, started out with sate chicken, Nice but nothing spectacular. Main course was Beef rendang, the meat was brisket and was delicious and tender but the sauce and the rice were both lukewarm, this was a bit poor as the place was really quiet.
6/10
House
Went here for the Argus dine for less offer, 2-1 mains you can't go wrong I had the fish stew which was really good and my girlfriend had chicken wrapped in parma ham. 2 mains and a drink each came in under twenty quid.
8/10
Pomegranate
Real favourite of mine. Service is always excellent plus the place has a lovely cosy vibe about it. Delightful lamb tagine that was melt in your mouth and wonderfully spiced.
9/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports