Restaurant 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Marroccos, Hove Seafront
Famous for its ice cream, but the food they dish up is superb. Went for the seafood platter, whole crab, king prawns, scallops, mussells and oysters all served on ice, and the fortuna mista - which is a platter of various fish in a light batter. Top food, great service, although the waiting time might annoy some people (45mins)
The pizzas/calzones look decent too. The ice cream was top drawer as always. Great value for everything too

8.5 / 10

Gars, Prince Albert Street, Brighton
Best crispy aromatic duck ive had in a chinese restaurant in Brighton. Also pretty good value on their special menu, where you get 2 courses (£12pp + your first drink for £1.) Prawn Toast and Chicken Satay starters were brilliant. Main course pretty good too, but I didn’t think they were as good as the starters. Very friendly waiters and good atmosphere inside
7.5 / 10

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Warung Tujuh, Pool Valley 8/10

The satay starters are small, and not sensational, so save your pennies and just add an extra main dish between you. The beef rendang was superb, they do a great a lamb stew, and the noodle choices were excellent. went early saturday evening and it was packed. Good value.

The Royal Oak, Poynings 7/10

Excellent crab rarebit for starter, then a superb piece of slow cooked lamb with a tomato, chorizo and cannelini bean cassoulet. Also, Monday nights is cheapo night, they do one choice of main for £5 (last nights was chilli with rice, sour cream, nachos, guacamole etc, superbly done. Harveys served well here (nice and cool, so many places serve it warm and dank).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone been here yet...

Thorne's Foods

Gonna check it out soon, their shop is DANGEROUS. So much good stuff on the meat and cheese counters. Don't go in with cash in your pocket.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
That veggie Indian place on the corner opposite TK Maxx - utter shit, lukewarm food, no atmosphere.

The Chinese on that mini-parade in Hollingdean next to a chippy - well nice, proper good stuff and really cheap.

Hell's Kitchen, Gardner Street - brillio falafel and chilli wrap.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Admottedly l havent waded through the previous 243 posts, but l dont think anyone has mentioned this before ...

Steki's Greek Restaurant in Kings Road, just a block or two down from the old West Pier. Authentic Greek taverna, with quite basic seating, old wooden tables and chairs. Superb service though, the two Greek giirls serving were very very firiendly, and most importantly of all the food was excellent. Meal for two including pre dinner drinks, starters, main course, two Greek coffee's, and a bottle of Retsina came to exactly £60. Great value and will definately go again.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My favourites:

Thai - Sabai, near the Pavilion or for the food (very much home-cooked) rather than the surroundings, Red Snapper, Waterloo St
English - Harry's, Hove
Mexican - El Mexicano (?), the one next to the Theatre Royal
Fish and Chips - Bankers, Western Road

Had a decent roast recently in the Lion and Lobster - ambience is great in there. Due South.. more misses than hits, quite frankly. Over-rated. The Ginger Pig.. 2 good meals, one lousy (uncooked cod and a waiter who thought that was all a bit of a joke, even though I ended up eating when everyone else had finished). A good restaurant, just not as good as it thinks it is.

Oct 25, 2003
Ottomans, Lewes Road, Brighton

Good, simple turkish grub, pretty cheap, was PACKED and thus the food took a while but was understandable. Very well cooked meat though and nice and filling.

Planet India, Richmond Parade, Brighton

A bit like having dinner at someone's house. The size of the portions are out of this WORLD for the price, I took some home and have been dipping into it ever since. It's rare to see a restaurant with such an extensive beer menu. Simple Indian (vegetarian) food, hardly michelin star but damn tasty and you won't want to eat for another week. Nice people aswell. The menu is fairly unique aswell- you won't find your tikka massala's or bhuna's- the change was nice and I will go again.

Blackfriars, Newcastle

If you're ever up north GO HERE. Superb English menu which changes with the seasons. All their ingredients are sourced locally. The staff are friendly beyond belief, AND they serve beer by the pint (again, it's locally sourced, including from the superb Wylam brewery). Fairly pricey by Newcastle standards but completely worth it. Big BIG flavours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have adjusted my opinion of The Worlds End. Went there yesterday at 2 for the BBQ, waited until pub emptied after the Liverpool Man U game and when it was cleared me and chums took a table. Waited a bit longer expecting either the tv to be turned off or at the very least the volume reduced but nothing happened. Asked at the bar if the deafening volume could be reduced as there were only 10-12 people in the pub with no footy on the tv, but was told no as the manager wanted it on. Fair enough, it's their business I guess. But I cannot see the logic in having a pub with ear bleeding volume on a tv no one is watching and which a third of your customers want turned down and the others are tucked away from the racket in a corner. So we left.

I'll be getting my BBQ Shack food delivered directly next time (I understand the pub sublets the kitchen to them.)

The appropriately named Worlds End can do one.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So... Any foodies advise on the best place for a date on Friday night? Somewhere where you are not forced to 'share' your meal and conversation with the next door table.

I'm thinking Fish or Tapas, but open to Thai.

Thanks in advance!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Fishy Fishy in East Street is great ( obviously assuming you like fish !).

They don't cram in too many people, the service is spot on and the food fantastic. Best of all, it isn't very expensive. Three courses, plus oysters, plus a bottle of wine for less than 80 quid for two people.

That's Dermie's place, isn't it?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
If you want to try a Michelin Star closer to home try Ockenden Manor at Cuckfield. You can book a Sunday night special which includes dinner, overnight stay and breakfast for only £70 per head ( drinks are obviously extra ! ). The dinner was fantastic. 10/10.

Indeed, a fabulous restaurant. Makes you feel special and the food is wonderful.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Recently went to Food in New Street in Worthing. Great ambience and lovely food. Anyone else been there?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
My most amazing dining experience was at the Chevre D'Or in Eze in the South of France. This wasn't food. It was art. Eight courses, with the waiter describing each course as it came. At the time, it was one of the top twenty restaurants in the world and it was easy to see why.

D

Deleted User X18H

Havana Spoon is quite possibly the most pretentious resturant I have ever been to. I think it is the old La Piazza oppsite Hove Town Hall. Its has a bar full of gold pouf's and a night club type area below. They take you bottle of plonk way from the table will you have to deal with just half a glass at a time. The waiter gave us all the wif-fi code, as we sat down to dine.

The food is nouvelle cuisine type and hughly overpriced. But best of all the waiter insisted on taking us from the entrance/resturant area to the bar area where our friends were waiting and he annouced us, although they knew who we were.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Best hangover bacon sandwich and tea - that cafe next to the Hove station car hand wash thing.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Saffons Indian, 2 Coombe Terrace

Good priced Indian, freshly cooked and can be made hotter/milder on request. Food wait was around 20mins, Get the feeling it can get packed out with students at certian times. Would give a 7/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Havana Spoon is quite possibly the most pretentious resturant I have ever been to. I think it is the old La Piazza oppsite Hove Town Hall. Its has a bar full of gold pouf's and a night club type area below. They take you bottle of plonk way from the table will you have to deal with just half a glass at a time. The waiter gave us all the wif-fi code, as we sat down to dine.

The food is nouvelle cuisine type and hughly overpriced. But best of all the waiter insisted on taking us from the entrance/resturant area to the bar area where our friends were waiting and he annouced us, although they knew who we were.

I've not heard a single good thing about this place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brio Shoreham - picked by Mini for 14th birthday meal.

Service (+10%) meant a Kaliber arrived instead of a Peroni, starters - 2 and the other 2 10 minutes later. No mayo with whitebait and pretty underwhelming.

4 out of 10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports