Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF Selhurst - Amex Bike Ride 13th September

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I'm a maybe at the moment, and am interested.

Me, [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] are all on STRAVA which does allow you to explore routes other cyclists use and does help to establish more regularly used cycle routes. There is also the Natural Cycle Networks website and free smart phone apps which may indicate their recommended routes that match what you're proposing.

I've often prepared a route for friends in Google maps, which is then fairly easy to export and convert into GPS format so that people can following a route on a smart phone or GPS device. For example MotionX GPS is a free gps app on the iphone and works off the gps chip and not the phone/3g signal. All you need then is a mount for the bike.

Yes and before you ask, I am often on the cycle geeks thread! :lolol:

Blimey mate, I was just going to get to Selhurst in the morning, keep the sun on my right and assume I was going in the right direction.

Looks like you have just successfully volunteered yourself for organising the route. :) Is that OK with you?

I am not a regular cyclist and assume that a well planned route is vital for safety and also to make sure we are not constantly bashing down duel carriageways.

If you could take a look into it a bit and see what you can work out I would be very grateful.

Also, do you know if there are any rules regarding this sort of thing, eg if we get 30 people do we need to tell the police, road authorities etc or can we just get on with it?

James

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Blimey mate, I was just going to get to Selhurst in the morning, keep the sun on my right and assume I was going in the right direction.

Looks like you have just successfully volunteered yourself for organising the route. :) Is that OK with you?

I am not a regular cyclist and assume that a well planned route is vital for safety and also to make sure we are not constantly bashing down duel carriageways.

If you could take a look into it a bit and see what you can work out I would be very grateful.

Also, do you know if there are any rules regarding this sort of thing, eg if we get 30 people do we need to tell the police, road authorities etc or can we just get on with it?

James

This sort of happened the other night when I inadvertently volunteered myself at my son's first night at Beavers when I said to the scout group leader, 'arh this take me back to when I was in the scouts' - this is not something to say if you are simply happy to drop your kid off and pick up again!!

I'll have a play with some maps and see what I come up with, may take a little while though, and yes, avoid dual carriageways definitely. Also, there is of course Ditchling Beacon to consider, it really is the best way to see the Amex emerging from the Downs, but as a climb it will definitely claim it's victims!

I don't think we need to inform anyone, but we can apply some basic principles to cycling in groups that can be posted nearer the time.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
This sort of happened the other night when I inadvertently volunteered myself at my son's first night at Beavers when I said to the scout group leader, 'arh this take me back to when I was in the scouts' - this is not something to say if you are simply happy to drop your kid off and pick up again!!

I'll have a play with some maps and see what I come up with, may take a little while though, and yes, avoid dual carriageways definitely. Also, there is of course Ditchling Beacon to consider, it really is the best way to see the Amex emerging from the Downs, but as a climb it will definitely claim it's victims!

I don't think we need to inform anyone, but we can apply some basic principles to cycling in groups that can be posted nearer the time.

Off road?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
can u stick me on the maybe list as well,will be doing the ridelondon100 and may not be up for another ride so soon after.

It's 4th Aug, over a month before this one, you'll be fine!

I'm in the ballot for the ridelondon100 so have my fingers crossed.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's 4th Aug, over a month before this one, you'll be fine!

I'm in the ballot for the ridelondon100 so have my fingers crossed.

Yeah, me too. It's ages after, there'll be plenty of time to recover/train etc, and it's not a tough ride, relatively speaking.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Please include myself on this, happy to help sort details out as well if you require any further help

thanks

Neil

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here