Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF - Palace to Amex Bike Ride - 29th September

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Change of subject. Are you enjoying the TT? I used to prefer the NW200, but they bolloxed that with the chicanes.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Will set up JG page in next few days. Would be good to know timings - even if provisional - as I have work that evening.

Nope.

Any help planning that would be great

Maybe suggest doing a dry run with car / foot prior to this? The Priestfield -> Amex one we did 2011 had a lot of major roads which were hairy in places and some serious climbs that bike routes will try to avoid. National cycle routes are ok but aren't the most direct, so maybe worth planning in advance and using a GPX file those of us with GPS Trackers to follow.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Even if they raise a tenner it is better than nothing.

To be fair there will be a fee of about £20 each to do it anyway, so if people can't commit to raising a bit of cash I doubt they will commit to paying £20 either.

We are setting a target of £ 250. A Target.

I will not be doing this event as i have had a lot of people sponsor me for London-Brighton,ride London 100 and a help 4 heroes ride,i cannot ask for more sponsorship to reach the £250 that is required for this ride,Sorry guys

@champion7 - I think the £250 was a target to set up the Just Giving pages; not a requirement to join in. If you're doing those rides, then you'll be an asset to the event (I'm also doing the RideLondon100) whether you raise £10 or £1000.

In answer to routes, I'd say we start with the Brighton to London route as a model, then adapt as necessary to ensure we are enjoying decent quiet roads. Those of us that have done local Sportives can also suggest amendments for as scenic a route as possible. For example we may wish to come down on the East side of the A23 via Turners Hill round the back of Haywards Heath. http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Toms_London_to_Brighton-Cycle-Route-183.html

Depending on how many people we have, I'd also make the suggestion that you group people into say 10 or so people depending on type of bike, level of experience and stagger the setting off between groups by say 3 mins or so - this is normal practice at organised sportives. I don't think it's particularly safe to have more than 20 say all riding together. We can then all bunch up together on the final climb up Ditchling Beacon!

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
In answer to routes, I'd say we start with the Brighton to London route as a model, then adapt as necessary to ensure we are enjoying decent quiet roads. Those of us that have done local Sportives can also suggest amendments for as scenic a route as possible. For example we may wish to come down on the East side of the A23 via Turners Hill round the back of Haywards Heath. http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Toms_London_to_Brighton-Cycle-Route-183.htmlhttp://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Toms_London_to_Brighton-Cycle-Route-183.html

That looks good, though I'd come down the closed road into Stamner village and not down Coldean Lane (and DEFINITELY not down the A27, that can't be right!).

The notes at the bottom are scaring me though. 2hrs 40 mins? Who's doing London to Brighton at 20mph average?! Bugger me!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That looks good, though I'd come down the closed road into Stamner village and not down Coldean Lane (and DEFINITELY not down the A27, that can't be right!).

The notes at the bottom are scaring me though. 2hrs 40 mins? Who's doing London to Brighton at 20mph average?! Bugger me!

I've just given an alternative route a bit of a test run as I cycled from Esher back to Portslade this morning. If we came out of Croydon and headed to Epsom, the route I took was mostly quiet roads/lanes other than a couple of large roundabout junctions. It was through some really gorgeous country side and woodland, very quiet, and mostly very few cars/traffic. We could then take in Box Hill (descending the icon climb from the Olympics) and there is a cafe at the top for anyone who would want a first break.

So as a route suggestion: Purley across to Epsom, Ashtead, Headley, Box Hill, Holmwood, Newdigate, Rusper, Horsham, Mannings Heath, (I went Nuthurst at this point, but I think getting across might be better...) so then go to Lower Beeding, Warninglid, Haywards Heath, Wivelsfield, Ditchling Beacon, Falmer. Some really nice looking village pubs spread along the route.

The route I took (slightly different from above) was 60 miles and had 2820 ft of climbing, I will say some of the climbs were tough, but none as tough as the Beacon itself. I did it in 3hrs 44mins.

I may try to get out to do a more direct route on the other side of the M23 (similar to London to Brighton) i.e. Purley, Caterham, Nutfield, Smallfield, Copthorne, Crawley Down, Turners Hill, Ardingly, Wivelsfield, Ditchling, Falmer. It will probably have an equal amount of climbing, and quiet roads, and is 15miles shorter! Google has this at about 45 miles.

The Box Hill route is 15 miles longer, but taking in the iconic Box Hill and finishing with the Beacon my give the ride a certain kudos. Having said that, I realise this is a fun charity ride and 15 miles is still 15 miles extra.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've just given an alternative route a bit of a test run as I cycled from Esher back to Portslade this morning. If we came out of Croydon and headed to Epsom, the route I took was mostly quiet roads/lanes other than a couple of large roundabout junctions. It was through some really gorgeous country side and woodland, very quiet, and mostly very few cars/traffic. We could then take in Box Hill (descending the icon climb from the Olympics) and there is a cafe at the top for anyone who would want a first break.

So as a route suggestion: Purley across to Epsom, Ashtead, Headley, Box Hill, Holmwood, Newdigate, Rusper, Horsham, Mannings Heath, (I went Nuthurst at this point, but I think getting across might be better...) so then go to Lower Beeding, Warninglid, Haywards Heath, Wivelsfield, Ditchling Beacon, Falmer. Some really nice looking village pubs spread along the route.

The route I took (slightly different from above) was 60 miles and had 2820 ft of climbing, I will say some of the climbs were tough, but none as tough as the Beacon itself. I did it in 3hrs 44mins.

I may try to get out to do a more direct route on the other side of the M23 (similar to London to Brighton) i.e. Purley, Caterham, Nutfield, Smallfield, Copthorne, Crawley Down, Turners Hill, Ardingly, Wivelsfield, Ditchling, Falmer. It will probably have an equal amount of climbing, and quiet roads, and is 15miles shorter! Google has this at about 45 miles.

The Box Hill route is 15 miles longer, but taking in the iconic Box Hill and finishing with the Beacon my give the ride a certain kudos. Having said that, I realise this is a fun charity ride and 15 miles is still 15 miles extra.

I agree with all of your route except Ditchling Beacon. Ditchling Beacon is like Burnley. It can f off. :wink:

Jan 21, 2012
Can anyone join in on this (even without bucket loads of sponsorship). My best mate and I wanted to do the Brighton 50 this year but they aren't doing it so this would be a great one to do. How do we register for it?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Can anyone join in on this (even without bucket loads of sponsorship). My best mate and I wanted to do the Brighton 50 this year but they aren't doing it so this would be a great one to do. How do we register for it?

As long as a reasonable attempt to raise some cash is made then all is well.

Are you in? Will be confirming numbers later this week.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
@Stat Brother over in the Cycling Geeks thread has done a bit of research and is putting together an order for a NSC Brighton & Hove Albion Cycling Cap, you know proper under your helmet, pro looking cap. Looks like coming in at £10 per cap if we get an order of 25 or more.

Would look very smart on the REMF ride, or anyone that cycles to the Amex on match days (just don't let Barber catch you with one on!!).

Go over to Cycling Geeks if you are interested.

NSC CAPS

Ok I've got one other lead to follow, but that's sketchy to say the least.
Prendas, not being magicians couldn't help.

Here's http://www.champ-sys.co.uk/#!tech-cap/cd1fare the 'professional' outfit I mailed who replied:-

...We'd be able to produce your design onto one of our caps and would suggest our Tech Cap if you want the stripes to run front to back...Please note that FedEx delivery charge (5%, minimum £20) and then VAT (20%) gets added to the total.

The £7 plus delivery and then plus vat does include design, as long as we are not actually creating logos for you. Do you have files of the logos you want to include? We can finalise the artwork for you in our templates if you send us vector files of the logos - ai, eps or pdf files - this service is Free. Once you pay a small deposit of £200 (this is not a fee, it will be deducted from your first order value) we can schedule the artwork at our end or you can upload your own designs... We are currently delivering kit to UK & Irish clubs within approx. 6 to 8 weeks of the date of approval of your final artwork (assuming your order has been placed and a deposit of 50% paid)

With this being a NOT FOR PROFIT venture, I, well my credit card, could carry the burden but obviously that ain't happening if the 25 aren't sold:-

£7 x 25 = £175.00 + £20 = £195.00 + 20% = £234 / 25 = £9.36 (please check my maths, it never was a strong point)
Plus on top of that, you'll need to pay your postage, from me to you. I've used all my free stamps this year.

We also need some consensus on the wording, as per previous 'caps' post below:-

Which leads onto the caps themselves.
Design by committee never works. Here's the template we've kind of been working to, if my memory serves:-

Colour - Brighton Blue. Pantone colour ref, to be sourced.
.......... 2 or 4 white stripes from front to back across the centre panel.

White lettering - Bold block right side ??
........................ Bold block left side ??

....................... smaller 'hand written' back northstandchat then below cycling geeks, preferably something more Italic, but you get the point.

....... Brim side - Albion logo

That would leave space at the front and top of the brim, if we decided to not have the stripes reaching the edge.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
With regard to a route, I did an overnight L to B a few years ago and it was based on quiet roads. I can't remember the exact route, but if you want me to find out from the organisers of that, I can

I think that would be great. It's going to be a mixed bag of cyclists I'm guessing, so we're not looking to break any world records. I'd have thought quieter routes might be preferable. Open to discussion really.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some other route ideas, some are along a similar theme/route with slight differences. (not sure if you need to sign up for Strava or not, but it is free):
http://app.strava.com/activities/21401931
http://app.strava.com/activities/54892297 (this is pretty much one of the ones I posted)
http://app.strava.com/activities/56580051
http://app.strava.com/activities/33351461
http://app.strava.com/activities/58371400
http://app.strava.com/activities/51214010

Hi Bold. Thanks for that other route you mailed me. Posting it here. I'm guessing we may have to trim down to a top 5 and then put it to the vote.

http://app.strava.com/activities/21401931

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I agree with all of your route except Ditchling Beacon. Ditchling Beacon is like Burnley. It can f off. :wink:

I'd rather do Ditchling Beacon than Box Hill! Box Hill goes seems to go on for ever. And (as stated before) is part of a 15 mile detour, which is an additional 30% of journey we probably don't need to do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd rather do Ditchling Beacon than Box Hill! Box Hill goes seems to go on for ever. And (as stated before) is part of a 15 mile detour, which is an additional 30% of journey we probably don't need to do.

We'd be descending Box Hill! But, I think we've probably already established it's a bit out of our way really. Some more direct routes via quiet country roads have been posted above. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here