Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religious promotion in schools

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
“Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest.” (Émile Zola) :clap2:

Yes Emile Zola was particularly critical of the Catholic Church and some regard him as a secular saint. However, he did keep on his desk an ivory crucifix and a small case with the picture of the Madonna. Maybe he couldn't deny Christianity completely.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Morning,

My son happened to mention to me yesterday evening that in year 8 assembly yesterday every child was given a Bible. Apparently a nice man from Gideon was giving them out.

Now, I have an issue with this on a number of levels;

1. Why the Bible and not The Koran or Torah?

2. Who gives them the right to hand out religious 'propoganda' of any flavour to 13 year old children anyway?

3. Where was the consulatation with the parents? I am aware that there are some children, who because their parents are Jehova's Witnesses have opt outs for all sorts of things, but why has the school allowed this without any discussion?

I've read that this is a big thing in the US, particularly the Bible belt states, but I never thought it would happen here.

I might contact them to see if I could hand out some satanism leaflets, or some of Richard Dawkins' or Sam Harris' books in the school and see what reaction I get.

It's parents' evening tomorrow - I think I might have a word.

By the way - my son said he left his copy behind :D

What's the view of NSC?

Papa

i would go for this
although Satanism and worship of the dark lord might be a bit OTT.

Ask them what time i can come round and hand out leaflets to promote the word of The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Pirates.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Yes Emile Zola was particularly critical of the Catholic Church and some regard him as a secular saint. However, he did keep on his desk an ivory crucifix and a small case with the picture of the Madonna. Maybe he couldn't deny Christianity completely.

So? Doesn't mean it's not a great quote that I fully concur with. :shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i would go for this
although Satanism and worship of the dark lord might be a bit OTT.

Ask them what time i can come round and hand out leaflets to promote the word of The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Pirates.

I will - someone suggested up-thread that "official and recognised religions" should be allowed to do this. Who decides what's official, and who recognises them?

I will represent the pastafrians tomorrow!

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Morning,

My son happened to mention to me yesterday evening that in year 8 assembly yesterday every child was given a Bible. Apparently a nice man from Gideon was giving them out.

2. Who gives them the right to hand out religious 'propoganda' of any flavour to 13 year old children anyway?

3. Where was the consulatation with the parents? I am aware that there are some children, who because their parents are Jehova's Witnesses have opt outs for all sorts of things, but why has the school allowed this without any discussion?

I've read that this is a big thing in the US, particularly the Bible belt states, but I never thought it would happen here.

I might contact them to see if I could hand out some satanism leaflets, or some of Richard Dawkins' or Sam Harris' books in the school and see what reaction I get.

What's the view of NSC?

Papa
During my ten years of school, I left in 1964, every morning would be morning assembly, involving prayers and hymns, one hours RE, and regular, Easter and Christmas church visits.
No one I knew became religious zealots or were harmed in any way.
I really can't see why you are so concerned.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I will - someone suggested up-thread that "official and recognised religions" should be allowed to do this. Who decides what's official, and who recognises them?
I will represent the pastafrians tomorrow!

dont forget to put a colander on your head........adds gravitas to your argument.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Have those who are complaining about children being gifted a copy of the Bible actually read it! I am a confirmed atheist but find the Bible, along with the Koran an interesting read. There is nothing in either that I have come across that would persuade any modern child, without additional influence, towards either Christianity or Islam.

I think both books should be included on the national curriculum alongside Shakespeare and other works of fiction and historical interest.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have those who are complaining about children being gifted a copy of the Bible actually read it! I am a confirmed atheist but find the Bible, along with the Koran an interesting read. There is nothing in either that I have come across that would persuade any modern child, without additional influence, towards either Christianity or Islam.

I think both books should be included on the national curriculum alongside Shakespeare and other works of fiction and historical interest.

Who choses which religious text kids should read? My kids study a number of religions in whatever RE is called now, and they cover Hinduism, Judeism, Islam and Christianity. Should they study Norse, Greek and Roman polytheism, or has the worship of a pantheon gone out of fashion?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i would go along with this,the teaching of all religions but no promotion or bias of one over the other. You cant learn about world history without the religious aspect after all.

The easiest way to become an atheist(in a predominately christian country like ours) is to read the whole Bible and not just the nice parts that are cherry picked

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
i think that official and recognised religions should have the freedom to distribute their texts as they see fit....and people should have the freedom to embrace or ignore it

Hmmm -- I can imagine the response, if say a campaigning Islamic organisation distributed Korans in a UK school. Meltdown all round.
Better not to let any of them do it, in my view, whether "official" and "recognised" or not (recognised by whom anyway?)

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Who choses which religious text kids should read? My kids study a number of religions in whatever RE is called now, and they cover Hinduism, Judeism, Islam and Christianity. Should they study Norse, Greek and Roman polytheism, or has the worship of a pantheon gone out of fashion?

Christianity has been an important part of our country for many centuries and there are still approximately 10% of the nation who regularly attend church on Sundays. Christian schools include education about other world religions and philosophy is studied at virtually all Christian schools along with the major liberal arts. If it wasn't for Christians schools the post war government would have struggles to introduce a national schools system. Many of the early universities were established by Christians. I would say that Christianity is an important part of education in this country.

Morning,

What's the view of NSC?

Papa
You could just say thankyou, walk out and put it in the bin. It is a less stressful way of dealing with things. The jehovahs hand out their watchtower stuff, I just tell them that's interesting, thanks very much, have a nice day and head straight for the blue top bin. They go away happy and we are all cool.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You could just say thankyou, walk out and put it in the bin. It is a less stressful way of dealing with things. The jehovahs hand out their watchtower stuff, I just tell them that's interesting, thanks very much, have a nice day and head straight for the blue top bin. They go away happy and everyone is none the wiser.

That's what he did.

By the way - when you say, none the wiser - Baby Jesus is watching you.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
After abolishing Christian education and eradicating religion from the public sphere why don't we destroy the churches as well. It's a disgrace that they are taking up valuable land that could be turned into housing!

You're a bit of an extremist. I've nothing against people pursuing their beliefs in the private sphere, just don't want them in the public. Separation of Church and State and all that.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I'm not suggesting that the Bible, Koran, Torah etc. should be treated as religious texts at all but rather as pieces of literature which are of real historical significance - in much the same way as many texts concerning Greek mythology already are. To ignore these texts and/or to discourage people, (youngsters in particular), from reading them does them a disservice as they explain much of why the World exists as it is today.

By all means include texts from the religions you mention as they all have influenced the historical direction of many civilisations, although I would suggest that the three I mention have had a far greater influence, and continue to have, on World development and politics than the ones you mention.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And he's crying about the forests being destroyed for all these books to go in bins. :(

il_214x170.706214444_n5xy.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We were given them when I was at Secondary School back in the late 90s, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a C of E school either (it certainly isn't now it's changed to "community school").

It was promptly put in the bin, even at the age of about 12 I was quite angry to have someone try and force religion on me.

Didnt we just throw them at each other.

I sort of recall someone getting a Bible in the face.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Didnt we just throw them at each other.

I sort of recall someone getting a Bible in the face.

I think we were more likely to have picked someone to throw them all at, a few names spring to mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here