Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religious promotion in schools

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I don't think very many people consider Christmas a religious festival these days, it's just time off work to spend with friends and family and exchange presents. (And it was originally a pagan festival).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
school.gif

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I send my children to a C of E school. I'd describe myself as Christian-lite. I expect some religion via the school and so I wouldn't have a problem with my kids getting Bibles. However, I would have a problem if I was a non-believer and had deliberately sent my kids to a secular school.

I'm also mindful that in the Cub Scout the Promise is to do your duty to God and to the Queen. Again, I haven't got a problem with that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I send my children to a C of E school. I'd describe myself as Christian-lite. I expect some religion via the school and so I wouldn't have a problem with my kids getting Bibles. However, I would have a problem if I was a non-believer and had deliberately sent my kids to a secular school.

I'm also mindful that in the Cub Scout the Promise is to do your duty to God and to the Queen. Again, I haven't got a problem with that.

They now have a non-God version of the cub scout promise, so I'm told.

I haven't deliberately sent my kids to s secular school - I just haven't sent my kids to a school that is overtly religious. I am however, a non-believer.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean

There are many different versions of the scouting promises which allow for any God name to be included. We also now have the alternative promise which takes out the 'duty to God' part and replaces with 'to uphold my scouting values'
whenever we have a newbie turn up at our troop we give them all versions and let them choose which they would prefer to take.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I got given a Gideon Bible whilst at school, but I can't remember whether it was Steyning Primary or Steyning GS.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We don't really do Easter, but Christmas for me is now more like ThanksGiving in the US. That's what I celebrate at Christmas anyway - a day a year where family gets together, drinks a lot, and then argues.

And watches Scrooged, you can't forget Scrooged.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I feel very strongly that religious teachings should be kept out of primary and secondary education. I think children should be taught a subject which includes being educated about the great religions of the world in a wider context of morals and ethics. However, imho, the state should not be sponsoring C of E, Roman Catholic, Jewish or Muslim schools. If people want to go to such schools they should pay for the privilege. The French are correct on this. All sstare schools are secular which is the way it should be.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
RE should be replaced with philosophy, which covers religion and provides a much broader education on the issues religion trys to cover.

At my son's Secondary School, RE was taught as 'Philosophy and Ethics' and as such he got a fairly broad education with regards to (pretty much) all religions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a discussion about religion, and NSC is largely in agreement. WTF?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got given one at Patcham Fawcett in 1975. I spend ages carefully hollowing it out and fitting a little transistor radio inside it. I was that sort of kid...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
On a not dissimilar note, am surprised Gideon is still allowed to leave its bibles in a lot of hotel rooms in UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here