Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religious promotion in schools

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Far to many people want to moan. I would suggest if he( I take it you asked his opinion about the book) doesn't want, then return it or bin it. We all get unwanted gifts in life, junk mail, people handing you leaflets in the street and politicians wanting your vote. Just say no and move on.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Well, I went to Aldington C of E Primary School, and they never gave any of us kids a Bible.
Tight sods.

But they did give us a lot of implausible nonsense about talking serpents, virgin births and a loving God that murders millions of innocents with his earthquakes and tsunamis. By the age of eight, I'd had enough.

Thank God for that.

VYq7ELt.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Far to many people want to moan. I would suggest if he( I take it you asked his opinion about the book) doesn't want, then return it or bin it. We all get unwanted gifts in life, junk mail, people handing you leaflets in the street and politicians wanting your vote. Just say no and move on.

So, you think a school, where we entrust our children during the formative years of their life is a correct place to hand them literature to indoctrinate them into a particular form of mythology?

Remember, the kids trust the judgement (in general) of the teachers - there is a circle of trust. The children will naturally trust the judgement of the teachers, and therefore assume that the bible is approved by the school and take it as part of their education.

Dangerous ground, I'd say.

Last edited:

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
So, you think a school, where we entrust our children during the formative years of their life is a correct place to hand them literature to indoctrinate them into a particular form of mythology?

Why not, its all part of their education. Many here on this forum want to abolish church schools and not allow any form of religious education in secular schools. Does NSC want our country to be a purely atheistic state?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
i went to church to get my kid into primary school - but realised what a horrible bunch of cliquey & pushy parents they were. even though i got the priest form signed, i never sent him there - it would have been child abuse

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Nobody's talking about indoctrinated children though are they. I would like to think teenage children could be trusted to listen to a speaker who comes into their school and make there own minds up. I would also think that they can choose if they wish to keep the bible. Did your son come home expecting you to say prayers before dinner. I would think if you asked him, he was probably not interested. History, politics and religion go hand in hand and I think it's a good thing if children are given information and the opportunity to debate theses subjects.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
i think that official and recognised religions should have the freedom to distribute their texts as they see fit....and people should have the freedom to embrace or ignore it

Absolutely....what`s is the problem...you weren`t asked to pay for it...Do they still get RE or scripture taught at school anymore ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I assume you don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as well?
Or are you just being selective in your outrage?

I celebrate Chocolate Egg day (fertility/spring festival) and Yuletide (marking the renewal of the solar year). their hijacking by the christian fraternity doesn't deserve any outrage as they have reverted to the original purposes.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I assume you don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as well?
Or are you just being selective in your outrage?

I think people only want to be outraged when it's convenient. People are happy for schools to celebrate Easter and Christmas and no doubt go and watch their children/ grandchildren in the school nativity plays and no doubt let schools explain about why we celebrate them, but give them a bible and all of a sudden they are being indoctrinated.
It's time we trusted our children to make up their own minds.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
i went to church to get my kid into primary school - but realised what a horrible bunch of cliquey & pushy parents they were. even though i got the priest form signed, i never sent him there - it would have been child abuse

Child abuse? Why would you go to church just to get your child into a school and then denigrate the school just because you didn't like it?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is the Gideon bible the little red one? We were given these when I was at Tarring in Worthing - the pages were much too flammable when used for rollies.

As a parent now, I believes that religion should be restricted to factual education covering all faiths with no handouts from any.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
After abolishing Christian education and eradicating religion from the public sphere why don't we destroy the churches as well. It's a disgrace that they are taking up valuable land that could be turned into housing!

“Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest.” (Émile Zola) :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here