Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religious promotion in schools

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don't quite understand how a child having incurable cancer would lead you to believe there was some sort of benevolent overlord making everything happen, I'd have thought it would be the exact opposite, however, whilst I fully appreciate that some individuals do benefit from the comfort of religion, I don't think that is a good enough reason to try to enrol any children into their cult through public schools.

I appreciate that religions need to try to get believers in when they are children as if people grew up their entire life knowing nothing of religion and then at age 25 or something, someone started telling them these stories, there would be no chance at all of them believing it.

Maybe you don't understand because when it comes down to it you are a bigot.

You should pop down to St Christopher's Chapel at St Ormond St Hospital and tell those inside that they are wasting their time, if modern science can't save their child then evidently nothing can..........something logical like that?

Alternatively get in touch with the Chaplaincy there and tell them to stop messing about with the sick kiddies with all there bullshit voodoo bollocks........you can contact them here.......

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/parents-and-...vices/chaplaincy-and-spiritual-care/about-us/

As for your last point I think you are wrong, churches are full of old people for a reason...........

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
There is a difference between learning about religion and being instructed in a religion. A distinction seemingly beyond Cunning Fergus

How can you learn about religion without reviewing the rules of the religion, all the better if you get the rules for free to look at without being taught.........isn't that why this thread started?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You should pop down to St Christopher's Chapel at St Ormond St Hospital and tell those inside that they are wasting their time, if modern science can't save their child then evidently nothing can..........something logical like that?

Alternatively get in touch with the Chaplaincy there and tell them to stop messing about with the sick kiddies with all there bullshit voodoo bollocks........you can contact them here.......

have they replaced modern science and medicine with prayer meetings then? a world that *needs* GOSH doesnt have a god worthy of devotion.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
have they replaced modern science and medicine with prayer meetings then? a world that *needs* GOSH doesnt have a god worthy of devotion.

Of course not, but has modern medicine solved all illnesses?

The fact that GOSH has such a prestigious chapel, with a chaplaincy that is integral to the hospital would indicate that those who run it are not willing to tear it down yet.

Let those who work there and who are being treated there decide if they want a chapel regardless of what you or I think..........

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
How can you learn about religion without reviewing the rules of the religion, all the better if you get the rules for free to look at without being taught.........isn't that why this thread started?

Nothing that children need to know about religion is found in the bible.

"People have different beliefs, try not to be offensive".

That's about all a school should be teaching.

The fact that GOSH has such a prestigious chapel, with a chaplaincy that is integral to the hospital would indicate that those who run it are not willing to tear it down yet.

"chaplaincy that is integral to the hospital" doesn't quite sound right....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course not, but has modern medicine solved all illnesses?

sadly no. but it has solved more than religion.

i dont think anyone was suggesting we get rid of any hospital chaplincies, it was highlighted they are of comfort to many. they dont actually cure anyone though.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Nothing that children need to know about religion is found in the bible.

"People have different beliefs, try not to be offensive".

That's about all a school should be teaching.

"chaplaincy that is integral to the hospital" doesn't quite sound right....

Re schools, if you want religion out, then the trips to mosques and synagogues are out, true?

Further, how do you teach and confront a subject like history, without its links to religion, whether the Crusades, The venerable Bede, King Alfred/Danelaw, the English Civil War, the abolishment of slavery, the reformation or the glorious revolution........this country's history is literally soaked in Christianity.

As for the integral nature of the chaplaincy in GOSH, check it out for yourself.......

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/parents-and-visitors/clinical-support-services/

Seems pretty prominent to me.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
sadly no. but it has solved more than religion.

i dont think anyone was suggesting we get rid of any hospital chaplincies, it was highlighted they are of comfort to many. they dont actually cure anyone though.

I don't disagree, that is not the point I am making.

It is a tragic reality of life that many people experience pain and loss in their lives which they cannot make sense of, and such experience can make people desperate for answers and or comfort.

I don't go to church, practice or anything faintly religious (aside from the Albion of course) however I have seen mentally strong people reduced to a mess as a consequence of the vagaries of life........I know some who themselves were not religious got comfort in a church. I don't know why or how but that worked for them. Good for them as far as I am concerned I will not chuck brickbats due to my own prejudice.

After this season, maybe I should try it too.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
RELIGION

Biggest and best scam ever and millions have fallen for it.
Praying to something you cant even prove exists.

Doh !!! :wrong:

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
because i didn't realise how anti religion i was until i'd tried it & having done so & the school having 'strong christian principles' i realised it wasnt for me. my comment wasn't to denigrate the school - but the parents & ilk who behave immorally like they did (playing the system & forming a cult) but claim to be good christians at the same time

Sad but probably true. However it's not all like that.

Dandyman

In London village.
That sounds like the thin end of the wedge.........

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_book_burnings

As long as everyone thinks like you eh?

You obviously don't understand what a secular society means. The separation of state and religion in fact protects minority cults such your own by denying the state the right to dictate the personal beliefs of citizans. If you want to quote the experience of Germany under the Nazis you might want to consider the role of the ReichsKonkordat in Hitler's rise to power.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Nobody's talking about indoctrinated children though are they. I would like to think teenage children could be trusted to listen to a speaker who comes into their school and make there own minds up. I would also think that they can choose if they wish to keep the bible. Did your son come home expecting you to say prayers before dinner. I would think if you asked him, he was probably not interested. History, politics and religion go hand in hand and I think it's a good thing if children are given information and the opportunity to debate theses subjects.

I think his son did make his own mind up, and apparently came home to dinner without the book, judging by the opening post "By the way - my son said he left his copy behind".

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You obviously don't understand what a secular society means. The separation of state and religion in fact protects minority cults such your own by denying the state the right to dictate the personal beliefs of citizans. If you want to quote the experience of Germany under the Nazis you might want to consider the role of the ReichsKonkordat in Hitler's rise to power.

Ha, you are funny.........you obviously don't understand the thin end of the wedge.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/05/china-christianity-wenzhou-zhejiang-churches

By the way I am not a member of a minority cult, your personal prejudice however is quite evident............I trust you are as vociferous on all followers of religion, you know some don't turn the other cheek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here