Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red trousers

Aug 23, 2011
that is a sussex thing mate....at one with nature , ecologically aware and all that........whenever i saw a fox i used to do a forward roll, slap myself on the forehead with a dead rabbit and eat an eel cake.....

.it's an urge i struggle to resist to this day.

did you carry around a dead rabbit and eel cake on the offchance or did you have to find them in a short space of time upon fox sighting?

I assume you didn't ever have to travelling through a city in the early hours of the morning or else you'd be doing a lot of rolling round and eating eel cake or is that what made you stop?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That saluting thing is pretty mental isn't it. Never been one I've ascribed to, but only cause I think I heard it too late.

On a related matter, I forced myself to start walking over 3 drains a long time ago. Changed my life.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Whenever I hear an ambulance, I hold onto my collar (I always wear a collar) until I see a four-legged animal. Works very well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That saluting thing is pretty mental isn't it. Never been one I've ascribed to, but only cause I think I heard it too late.

On a related matter, I forced myself to start walking over 3 drains a long time ago. Changed my life.

I do the same. Don't walk under ladders and always change direction when I walk past an Oak tree. What with the magpie saluting, red trousers and charity muggers it usually takes me about 4 hours to get my paper of a morning.

Aug 23, 2011
I do the same. Don't walk under ladders and always change direction when I walk past an Oak tree. What with the magpie saluting, red trousers and charity muggers it usually takes me about 4 hours to get my paper of a morning.

whats the drains and oak tree things? am i missing out on something?

Whenever I hear an ambulance, I hold onto my collar (I always wear a collar) until I see a four-legged animal. Works very well.

The wife does this too.

What happens if you hear an ambulance and then see a magpie, which one gets priority the collar holding or the salute?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My only superstition is to change the toilet i go into at work if I am not having a good day. Sometimes it takes me the journey to the toilet to decide if I am haing a good day or not. Some days are so average I have to decided whether to change.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Once when I was at school I was staring absent mindedly out of the window of a maths class and I counted 13 magpies on the football field.

Aug 23, 2011
The wife does this too.

What happens if you hear an ambulance and the see a magpie, which one gets priority the collar holding or the salute?

you can hold onto your collar with one hand and salute with the other or are there rules on which hand to use?

I'd be holding my collar all day round here, i work just off the main road to the hospital

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Once when I was at school I was staring absent mindedly out of the window of a maths class and I counted 13 magpies on the football field.

What did you do? the poem doesn't go up that high, did you make up your own?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I ever see a turd in a changing room I am obliged to lay another one right next to it saying the words,

One for sorrow
Two for joy

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The wife does this too.

What happens if you hear an ambulance and the see a magpie, which one gets priority the collar holding or the salute?

Well, the salute should always be with the right hand. I'm very lucky in that I'm left-handed, so my natural impulse is to hold the collar with the left hand, leaving my right free for a salute. For a right-handed person, there is a potential problem. I live in a rural area where ambulance noise is an oddity and four-legged animals are plentiful. As I said, I'm lucky.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What did you do? the poem doesn't go up that high, did you make up your own?

Like I said I'm not one for superstition, so wasn't too perturbed about the poem not fitting. Nor did I say "Good Morning Mr Magpie" 13 times.

Afterwards I told my mates about what I'd seen and they thought I was bullshitting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Like I said I'm not one for superstition, so wasn't too perturbed about the poem not fitting. Nor did I say "Good Morning Mr Magpie" 13 times.

Afterwards I told my mates about what I'd seen and they thought I was bullshitting.

Your mates didn't credit you with a huge imagination then?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
My wife does this all the time. It does annoy me when she's driving.

Have you not heard of that, done it since I was a child. You see a magpie and you salute it accompanied by the word "Hello Mr Magpie, regards to the wife". Thought it was quite common?

I really wish I could get her to do this one...
...My how we would laugh.:clap:

that is a sussex thing mate....at one with nature , ecologically aware and all that........whenever i saw a fox i used to do a forward roll, slap myself on the forehead with a dead rabbit and eat an eel cake.....

.it's an urge i struggle to resist to this day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here