Realistic Transfer Targets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
The sooner we confirm any deals with our out of contract players the better. Gus has a great opportunity to revamp the squad with so many out of contract.

I think he will go for someone experienced like Zenden to replace Kish and give us a bit of experience in dictating play and posession, a manager on the pitch type player.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I'm sorry but bloom has gone on record as saying he wants a top 6 finish season. Unfortunately some of the players mentioned like Yeates and Vokes are not anywhere near the standard for this.

Whilst suggesting players like Toure and Owen is in my opinion frankly ridiculous, we should be looking at players who are with lower Premier league teams who are on the fringes of the first team.

With all due respect if they're fringe players in the lower regions of the Prem, are they any better than Championship standard ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's get Liam, Gary and Muzza tied-up first..

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Line-up for the first game of next season?

Ankergren
Calderon Greer New Painter
Bennett Bridcutt New LuaLua
Murray Hoskins
subs: Brezovan elAbd New(fullback) Noone
Barnes Dicker New(forward)

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Line-up for the first game of next season?

Ankergren
Calderon Greer New Painter
Bennett Bridcutt New LuaLua
Murray Hoskins
subs: Brezovan elAbd New(fullback) Noone
Barnes Dicker New(forward)
El-Abdhas been better than Greer

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I quite liked the look of Jonjo O Toole and Gillespie from Cochester, Hoskins from B Rovers, I also like Danny Green and Roman Vincelot, Marc Pugh from B'mouth and a couple of experienced championship players and the cherry on the cake Kazenga!!!!!!! I have tried to be realistic and Norwich have done very well cherry picking league 1 players including Jackson and Croft.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I hope we sort out our existing 'out of contract' players as soon as possible, then set about strengthening the squad in several areas. My heart says it would be great to see KLL and maybe a Hoskins type going forward, but my head says we need more resilience in the Championship so need to find a couple of commanding defenders and experienced midfielders. There are some interesting names on the Premiership & Championship 'out of contract' lists, but can't see us paying some of the deals their Agents would be asking for, especially if they assume we are minted.

However we do have that 'X' factor i.e. several advantages over other potential suitors that might make players fancy being part of - i.e. the feel good feeling of a team in the ascendant, biggish crowds at The Amex, new training complex, Gus as manager and all on the sunny South coast - surely more appealing than somewhere less sexy like Middlesborough?

We have exactly the right Chairman in Tony Bloom who has already stated he will invest in the squad, but without breaking the bank. Bloom is the perfect man to play hard ball with players Agents. We haven't rolled over the negotiations with Murray so why do it for anyone else? I am sure that we will pay a fair price i.e. Championship level fees - but won't get ripped off. It will not be The Lizard that flinches first.

I would not be surprised if Gus does not use his knowledge and contacts abroad to bring in a couple of experienced and maybe better value foreigners. Maybe even a nice surprise - someone tasty along the lines of a Diego Forlan (perhaps that is stretching it a bit, but hey who knows?) or similar - who could be class and frighten teams in the Championship. Don't mind as long as they can do a job for the team - and would be up for grinding out a result on a cold February night in Burnley or Barnsley.

There are only 10 weeks or so until the pre-season starts and no doubt Gus will want his squad virtually sorted by then. Time to watch the summer transfers with interest, these are exciting times!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The name Diego Forlan has cropped up a number of times over the last few months. SURELY we can't even begin to hope for a signing of that quality can we ?

*gettingexcitedjustthinkingaboutit*

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The name Diego Forlan has cropped up a number of times over the last few months. SURELY we can't even begin to hope for a signing of that quality can we ?

Was he not voted Player of the Tournament or win The Golden Boot at the last World Cup?? I think Forlan is possibly out of our league

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
KLL, Phillips, Derry, Hoskins and how about a return for Darius Henderson. He's become a solid Championship performer over the last few years, and may well want to jump ship from Sheffield Utd this summer.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Completely unrealistic, in my view. He was linked with a return to United last week, so I think championship football is way below his level.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island

Anyone who thinks we could afford him, or that he'd even think of coming here must be seriously deluded

TonyTownersShorts

Jan 26, 2010
KLL, Phillips, Derry, Hoskins and how about a return for Darius Henderson. He's become a solid Championship performer over the last few years, and may well want to jump ship from Sheffield Utd this summer.

Agree with KLL, Phillips and Hoskins not sure about Henderson and Derry though - wish we had the funds for MacKail-Smith or Boyd from Peterborough if they do not go up or Rhodes/Pilkington from Huddersfield if again they fail to go up???

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agree with KLL, Phillips and Hoskins not sure about Henderson and Derry though - wish we had the funds for MacKail-Smith or Boyd from Peterborough if they do not go up or Rhodes/Pilkington from Huddersfield if again they fail to go up???

I suspect Stains will go up in 2nd so chances are it will be either Huddersfield or Peterborough who join us through the Play Off's. I think both players from either team are attainable targets and would definately be worth having

RSBLUEANDWHITEARMY

Aug 5, 2009
North Stand
Tricky isn't it? We all tend to focus on front players. I really do think our biggest needs are for a ball-playing centre back to sit alongside Greer as a first choice pairing and I think we may have to look abroad.

Daniel Ayala-Season long loan from Liverpool

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Not sure about that myself. I wasn't totally grasped by Greer but our defending has been fairly erratic since he's been suspended. I'm confident we would of gotr a draw against SCC had he of been playing.

Agreed, it's laughable to suggest El-Abd is better than Greer! Greer is a major factor in El-Abd's excellent form. I think Greer on the whole has been massivly under rated by some fans. He's helped turn our defence into the tighest in the league and he plays a very big role in starting moves from the back in an attacking sense too. There have been a number of times that his pass forward has lead to the advanced player then playing in the striker for a goal.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Agreed, it's laughable to suggest El-Abd is better than Greer! Greer is a major factor in El-Abd's excellent form. I think Greer on the whole has been massivly under rated by some fans. He's helped turn our defence into the tighest in the league and he plays a very big role in starting moves from the back in an attacking sense too. There have been a number of times that his pass forward has lead to the advanced player then playing in the striker for a goal.
this in spade fulls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports