Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Transfer Targets

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Both Gudjonnson and O'Hara are on comfortably more than 20 grand per week. Massively out of our budget.

Oh well not realistic targets if that is the case unless we could do a deal like Arry did when he was at Portsmouth, but it is not surprising as they are both good players at this level and would be an asett to a club like ours.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Greer v El Abd

Darren

We have suffered greatly without Gordon Greer.

Adam El Abd is a decent defender, BUT, just look at him, he is more temperamental/fiery than GG but so far has avoided a second suspension.

Believe me, I think players who respond to goading (like Greer when Shef Wed orchestrated his sending off) is one thing but El Abd goes in seriously regularly, and, from my perspective is just as/more likely to be sent off thereby seriously compromising our team effort.

We cannot afford to end up one man down in the Championship as we will be severely punished for that.

Best

Al

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
this is possibly the funniest thread ever

:thumbsup:

Forlan, Owen, O'hara, Joe Cole :lolol: :lolol:

Even players like Fonte and Lallana are way, way out of our league. Presuming our wage cap next season is somewhere around the rumoured 8k mark, Fonte is already on more than that in this division.

And people on here think Saints fans are deluded?

This is embarrassing.

Let's get one thing straight in people's minds before any more talk about any Michael Owens; we do not want ANY players who might even have an inkling of a thought that Brighton and Hove Albion is a STEP DOWN for them.
We really must be looking at the NEXT Owen.

There will be those players out there and ready to avail themselves willingly and enthusiastically to us - because we are nowadays an extremely ATTRACTIVE club, one of very few in the league. We also have a manager who is attractive as a 'gaffer'. I think the word will get around about that even if some might not know - our present players will confirm it I'm sure. The squad we already have, will be another reason to come to Brighton - not to mention the regional pleasantries, proximity to the capitol, and historic repute/respect.

Apart from big wage demands which I don't think this club is silly enough to go splashing out - just about everything is right to go cherry picking. Any present Albion player not convinced enough to stay - go see how the grass isn't very green at another club.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arry got Pompey promoted by using Premiership players on loan from their parent club and paying a fraction of their wages thus meaning players on longterm contracts but unable to get in the premiership side but still receiving those wages had a proportion of it paid by Pompey. In our case if our ceiling was £8k per week a player on a season loan would save the parent club approx £300k and unless they are one of the top 6 or seven clubs in the Premiership or most of the clubs in The Championship that is a good saving. Also a player from either of these sources may not perform for their maanger but may for Poyet.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Realistic targets would be:
Players from teams relegated from The Championship,
Players from teams not promoted to The Championship,
Promising young players on loan from Premier League teams,
Unknown randoms from abroard.

Unrealistic targets would be:
International players at the peak of their career,
Players playing frequently in The Premier League,
Players earning shedloads of money who are injury prone & past their peak,
DIEGO FORLAN!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Arry got Pompey promoted by using Premiership players on loan from their parent club and paying a fraction of their wages thus meaning players on longterm contracts but unable to get in the premiership side but still receiving those wages had a proportion of it paid by Pompey. In our case if our ceiling was £8k per week a player on a season loan would save the parent club approx £300k and unless they are one of the top 6 or seven clubs in the Premiership or most of the clubs in The Championship that is a good saving. Also a player from either of these sources may not perform for their maanger but may for Poyet.

Short termism. Not guaranteed to be successful and not great for team morale, I would imagine. In the past, we have done very poorly with a team full of loans. I'd rather build a team as opposed to employing any old (rich) sailor whom might be kicking their heels at a Premier League side.

Add to what we already have, but with people that want to play for the club, not a bored premiership stiff.

Although I am not against the odd player to bolster the ranks.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
:clap2:
Let's get one thing straight in people's minds before any more talk about any Michael Owens; we do not want ANY players who might even have an inkling of a thought that Brighton and Hove Albion is a STEP DOWN for them.

There will be those players out there and ready to avail themselves willingly and enthusiastically to us - because we are nowadays an extremely ATTRACTIVE club, one of very few in the league. We also have a manager who is attractive as a 'gaffer'. I think the word will get around about that even if some might not know - our present players will confirm it I'm sure. The squad we already have, will be another reason to come to Brighton - not to mention the regional pleasantries, proximity to the capitol, and historic repute/respect.

Apart from big wage demands which I don't think this club is silly enough to go splashing out - just about everything is right to go cherry picking. Any present Albion player not convinced enough to stay - go see how the grass isn't very green at another club.

What he said! Particularly the first bit! :clap2:

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
Did we ever find out who the Big Name was that we were after in January? I'm sure someone on here 'in the know' said they would post the name at the end of January if we didn't get him - but I can't remember actually seeing any names mentioned. Anyone know?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did we ever find out who the Big Name was that we were after in January? I'm sure someone on here 'in the know' said they would post the name at the end of January if we didn't get him - but I can't remember actually seeing any names mentioned. Anyone know?

Didnt somebody post that it was Robbie Keane from Spurs on loan but he went to West Ham.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Robbie Keane....dont make me laugh...BG are you on a major wind up with your responses in this thread !

Surely Hoskins was the special player we were after.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Short termism. Not guaranteed to be successful and not great for team morale, I would imagine. In the past, we have done very poorly with a team full of loans. I'd rather build a team as opposed to employing any old (rich) sailor whom might be kicking their heels at a Premier League side.

Add to what we already have, but with people that want to play for the club, not a bored premiership stiff.

Although I am not against the odd player to bolster the ranks.

100% correct BoF...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id be delighted with 2 long term loans deals. But i would want them 2 be young players on the fringes of action with plenty to prove and in need of regualr first team action to push them along as players.

I know the 2 i want...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Top post NMH... all of it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here