Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re Barnes - the bloke who sits behind me...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm very much with Gus on this one. Barnes was class. Some lovely touches and good chest control and winning headers above men bigger than him. Was clear that he was moved out wide for Buckley to be more centralised on the break. If that second half ball had been played with an extra single yard's pace then it's a Barnes double and we can bring on Vicente. He led the line excellently and never stops working. Vital to keep in the squad, i think. Back in form and gave a manly performance.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Barnes, Bridcutt & Lopez were in a three-way shootout for MOM today for me. There was a bloke afterwards in WSU who I had a brief exchange of words with, who (and i quote) mouthed off at his mate "don't you dare defend Barnes!". He was wobbling on about Barnes having lead feet, never wins anything in the air, can't hold it up for shit and missed a sitter. I pointed out he is our best forward at winning it in the air, had brought it down on his chest (under pressure) multiple times, scored inside 90 seconds, and more or less everything he had said was utter gold plated bullshit. Barnes appears to be THE bizarre hate figure for Brighton "fans" who seem to have misunderstood their role and think because they stood on the Goldstone terraces 20 years ago and haven't been since that they have a divine right to call any player they want a cvnt. Is Barnes perfect? No. Does he finish every chance he gets? No. But he's a darn sight better than the wankers screaming for his throat, if skying a shot from a corner drilled across your body makes your worthy of that abuse, the fat pricks shouting it from the stands need the stocks as far as I'm concerned.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes, Bridcutt & Lopez were in a three-way shootout for MOM today for me. There was a bloke afterwards in WSU who I had a brief exchange of words with, who (and i quote) mouthed off at his mate "don't you dare defend Barnes!". He was wobbling on about Barnes having lead feet, never wins anything in the air, can't hold it up for shit and missed a sitter. I pointed out he is our best forward at winning it in the air, had brought it down on his chest (under pressure) multiple times, scored inside 90 seconds, and more or less everything he had said was utter gold plated bullshit. Barnes appears to be THE bizarre hate figure for Brighton "fans" who seem to have misunderstood their role and think because they stood on the Goldstone terraces 20 years ago and haven't been since that they have a divine right to call any player they want a cvnt. Is Barnes perfect? No. Does he finish every chance he gets? No. But he's a darn sight better than the wankers screaming for his throat, if skying a shot from a corner drilled across your body makes your worthy of that abuse, the fat pricks shouting it from the stands need the stocks as far as I'm concerned.

You clearly highlighted the characteristics required to be unable or not permitted to have a view on a player,.... Please just for me, tell me what traits a person must demonstrate to be considered a person who has a valid opinion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am very nearly but not quite on the Barnes Bus after yesterday.

Against 2 'standard' championship centre backs they had him for pace, stopping Ash getting shots away.
We committed 12 fouls, it felt like Barnes was responsible for over half of those.

He was big, strong and combative, brilliant.

Now, assuming we are never going to play 4-4-2, all we have to do is squash him into CMS to create the one striker we actually need. He'd be one hell of a player.

Now for the Team CMS specs.
I remember thinking this for one other game he missed earlier this season.

With Lopez, Orlandi, Bridge and Calde accurately pinging the ball around for fun, CMS would have had a field day.
His next game (assuming there is one) will probably be in the team that finished the game, Hammond, Dicker & Crofts.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The thing about young Ashley is that even if he's not playing well he'll still at least busts a gut out on the pitch.

I'd rather a guy that gave 110% effort for a whole game despite his possible lack of overall class than some pony that might have flashes of brilliance but doesn't give 110% when things aren't going his way.

Did I mention that he's young and still a few years off his prime?

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Lots of people bang on about Ash's work rate, i struggle to agree in the context that statement is made.
Just because someone runs around a lot, doesn't make them good.

Many games, since being put wide left this and last season, Ash had seemed about 5 yards behind the game. All that running is him trying to catch up; their left back will get away from him and down the line, so Ash has to chase him down, by the time he gets their the move is over and he needs to get back up front for the ball so he turns around and chases back up the field but gets there too late etc. etc.

Yesterday was Ash's best game in a while(maybe since Chelsea) This level of quality, ironically, causes much of the marmite, because we see it so very rarely. It might not be his doing alone, Gus may give him specific instructions that limit his attacking opportunities. But it is annoying when he has games where he gets pushed off the ball a lot, wants a foul, doesn't get one then starts moaning, head goes down and starts niggling. All the while, we know he can put in a shift like he did today.

Possibly he was extra motivated cos he was in the middle were he likes and he had something more to prove?

We want more of yesterday's Barnesy every week please Ash!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of people bang on about Ash's work rate, i struggle to agree in the context that statement is made.
Just because someone runs around a lot, doesn't make them good.

Many games, since being put wide left this and last season, Ash had seemed about 5 yards behind the game. All that running is him trying to catch up; their left back will get away from him and down the line, so Ash has to chase him down, by the time he gets their the move is over and he needs to get back up front for the ball so he turns around and chases back up the field but gets there too late etc. etc.

Yesterday was Ash's best game in a while(maybe since Chelsea) This level of quality, ironically, causes much of the marmite, because we see it so very rarely. It might not be his doing alone, Gus may give him specific instructions that limit his attacking opportunities. But it is annoying when he has games where he gets pushed off the ball a lot, wants a foul, doesn't get one then starts moaning, head goes down and starts niggling. All the while, we know he can put in a shift like he did today.

Possibly he was extra motivated cos he was in the middle were he likes and he had something more to prove?

We want more of yesterday's Barnesy every week please Ash!

Your first para sums up CMS perfectly:
Just because someone runs around a lot, that doesn't make them good.

As does the third .... pushed off the ball alot.

The difference, one cost peanuts, and the other cost £m's and given been given a mass of first team starts over the last 18 months (opportunities).

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Brilliant post and 100% agree. :thumbsup:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
ashley Barnes

Didn't chase down opportunities? You're having a laugh right? He didn't do it as much as CMS, but then CMS's reward for this is being labelled the headless chicken/labrador.

Missed two clear chances? I hope you're not including the run that his own movement created which resulted in him receiving the ball forty yarsds from goal with two defenders in hot pursuit? The only player I have seen score anything like that this season is Vydra. Very few strikers in the world will score from there.

He fluffed one chance for sure, a corner that was pinged in which he should have tried to steer towards goal rather than welly but it was hardly clear cut. How about the misses from Orlandi, Calderon and Buckley? Far more clear cut, but no one seems to be pulling them apart and Buckley was playing up top as well.

Not physically strong enough? I thought he was a menace. Held the ball up far better than CMS does and constantly gave as good as he got.

Finally, not strong enough mentally. Hmmm. I wonder ho mentally strong you would feel if you had people constantly waiting for you to fail. He's a 23 year old FFS who cost f*** all and has scored 37 goals in 117 games for us, and many of those where when he was playing out of position. I just do not understand why Brighton fans cannot support Brighton players. He's not Pele but if he had done a Chris Wood and scored a first half hat trick today think a lot of people on here would be questioning what he did in the second half.

If you care to read the text you will understand what it is saying, we shuld not praise mediocrity, he scored and thats what he was there to do but had little else inpact on the game. Stop holding your head evrytime something doesn't go your way Ashley, man up and stand up. None of what is written by you is any counter to what I wrote. If we want to get to the play offs, we need more than Ashley Barnes and that is a fact.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you care to read the text you will understand what it is saying, we shuld not praise mediocrity, he scored and thats what he was there to do but had little else inpact on the game. Stop holding your head evrytime something doesn't go your way Ashley, man up and stand up. None of what is written by you is any counter to what I wrote. If we want to get to the play offs, we need more than Ashley Barnes and that is a fact.

Like he reads your posts.

Probably spending a relaxing family day, rightfully content with his good performance and goal that got the Albion on track for a vital 3 points.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion.

I think we all need to be realistic and not get bogged down in supporting personalities, I don#t dislike Ashey, my point is he was not as good as some are saying on here. Why do we need to be either for or against, sometimes players don't perform as well every match and lets have the ability and courage to say it sometimes. Regarding him leading our attack for a play of spot, I believe he cannot do it alone.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Didn't Barnes win the ball in the centre circle for the second goal, drew the defender and then played in Calderon for the cross?

He also set up the chance that Buckley/Orlandi managed to flunk between themselves in the second half, and won plenty of balls when played up to him.

Few (if any) are saying that he is the perfect player, but the view of some on here that he is a cross between Jimmy Savile and Hitler leaves me nonplussed.

If he has a good game, give him credit, and if he has a bad game, identify his shortcomings is my view. Surely that is what giving an assessment/opinion is all about, anything else is just prejudice, which comes from the words 'pre' and 'judge', which sadly many seem to think is the approach to take.

It's the 'fans' who want him to have a poor game so that their opinion of him is somehow proved right that disappoints. I want every Albion player to have a blinder every game, and that's impossible, (unless your name is Bridcutt).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Didn't Barnes win the ball in the centre circle for the second goal, drew the defender and then played in Calderon for the cross?

He also set up the chance that Buckley/Orlandi managed to flunk between themselves in the second half, and won plenty of balls when played up to him.

Few (if any) are saying that he is the perfect player, but the view of some on here that he is a cross between Jimmy Savile and Hitler leaves me nonplussed.

If he has a good game, give him credit, and if he has a bad game, identify his shortcomings is my view. Surely that is what giving an assessment/opinion is all about, anything else is just prejudice, which comes from the words 'pre' and 'judge', which sadly many seem to think is the approach to take.

It's the 'fans' who want him to have a poor game so that their opinion of him is somehow proved right that disappoints. I want every Albion player to have a blinder every game, and that's impossible, (unless your name is Bridcutt).

Then we concur, AShley Barnes scored the goal and did some good things and made some errors, my point is the rush to justify him. He played his part thats what we all want him to do, but lets put it all in context. Make no error I want any player who pulls on the blue and white stripes to score a s many as possible, but lets just all be sensible and abjective about what actually is going on out there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think we all need to be realistic and not get bogged down in supporting personalities, I don#t dislike Ashey, my point is he was not as good as some are saying on here. Why do we need to be either for or against, sometimes players don't perform as well every match and lets have the ability and courage to say it sometimes. Regarding him leading our attack for a play of spot, I believe he cannot do it alone.

The problem on Nsc, which, if you weren't registered under another name, happened a couple of years ago when two or three very vociferous posters were slagging off Barnes saying he wasn't good enough for League One when he scored 20 goals helping us to our championship win. It was so over the top that other posters including myself, stood up for him. As the debates have raged, the two factions have gone to further and further extremes.

Camicus

Then we concur, AShley Barnes scored the goal and did some good things and made some errors, my point is the rush to justify him. He played his part thats what we all want him to do, but lets put it all in context. Make no error I want any player who pulls on the blue and white stripes to score a s many as possible, but lets just all be sensible and abjective about what actually is going on out there.

You wernt sitting behind the OP were you?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The problem on Nsc, which, if you weren't registered under another name, happened a couple of years ago when two or three very vociferous posters were slagging off Barnes saying he wasn't good enough for League One when he scored 20 goals helping us to our championship win. It was so over the top that other posters including myself, stood up for him. As the debates have raged, the two factions have gone to further and further extremes.

I'm sorry I don't have the history on the site, but, I am an Albion supporter of over 40 years, perhaps my arrival on this site without any baggage is what is required, just a non judgemental view, we're all supporters of the club and want the same thing in the end. I hope?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here