Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re Barnes - the bloke who sits behind me...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Barnes started the move for the second goal. It was no great moment of skill, just solid graft in that he managed to nick a loose ball of their two centre halves, which really he had no right to. Nice when we are able to catch the opposition on the break.

Agreed.

So he scored the first, started the move for the second, created the best other chance (Orlandi's miss) but had a shit game according to some. I hope Ulloa is ready for this shit because it seems as soon as you're picke to play up front for Brighton it's open season.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Agreed.

So he scored the first, started the move for the second, created the best other chance (Orlandi's miss) but had a shit game according to some. I hope Ulloa is ready for this shit because it seems as soon as you're picke to play up front for Brighton it's open season.

Started the move for the second, was it not in reverse Orlandi, Calderon, Lopez. Failed to capitalise on two clear chances, spent a lot of time on the floor whinging at the referee, didn;t chase down opportunites. yes he had moments, but he is not a centre forward, just not strong enough physically and mentally.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Not STrong Enough

Agreed.

Started the move for the second, was it not in reverse Orlandi, Calderon, Lopez. Failed to capitalise on two clear chances, spent a lot of time on the floor whinging at the referee, didn;t chase down opportunites. yes he had moments, but he is not a centre forward, just not strong enough physically and mentally.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The problem with Barnes is that he no longer seems to be judged on the merits of each performance these days. There is a divide where some have decided he is shit and therefore cannot praise him when he does well, for fear of looking foolish. Conversely there are some who because of those who are so negative, feel compelled to back Barnes up to the point of overlooking his limitations.

He's a solid championship player, has good and bad games and is nothing special on the whole. However those who say league one is his level are clearly idiotic as he scored 20 at that level at a very young age and has more than proved he is adept at this level too.

For what it's worth I thought he played very well today. His hold up play has improved significantly this year. Plus you can never fault his attitude, one of the most committed players at the club.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Didn't chase down opportunities? You're having a laugh right? He didn't do it as much as CMS, but then CMS's reward for this is being labelled the headless chicken/labrador.

Missed two clear chances? I hope you're not including the run that his own movement created which resulted in him receiving the ball forty yarsds from goal with two defenders in hot pursuit? The only player I have seen score anything like that this season is Vydra. Very few strikers in the world will score from there.

He fluffed one chance for sure, a corner that was pinged in which he should have tried to steer towards goal rather than welly but it was hardly clear cut. How about the misses from Orlandi, Calderon and Buckley? Far more clear cut, but no one seems to be pulling them apart and Buckley was playing up top as well.

Not physically strong enough? I thought he was a menace. Held the ball up far better than CMS does and constantly gave as good as he got.

Finally, not strong enough mentally. Hmmm. I wonder ho mentally strong you would feel if you had people constantly waiting for you to fail. He's a 23 year old FFS who cost f*** all and has scored 37 goals in 117 games for us, and many of those where when he was playing out of position. I just do not understand why Brighton fans cannot support Brighton players. He's not Pele but if he had done a Chris Wood and scored a first half hat trick today think a lot of people on here would be questioning what he did in the second half.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I thought Barnes was exceptional today. My only complaint today was when he moved out right and swapped with Buckley because we lost that ability to have a holdup player... I understand why we did it though as Derby were coming back into the game and Calderon needed a bit more protection. I also agree that Hoskins possibly could have come on but Barnes won four or five headers in the frantic last ten minutes.

I hope and pray he gets a new contract because he will come back to haunt us.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Didn't chase down opportunities? You're having a laugh right? He didn't do it as much as CMS, but then CMS's reward for this is being labelled the headless chicken/labrador.

Missed two clear chances? I hope you're not including the run that his own movement created which resulted in him receiving the ball forty yarsds from goal with two defenders in hot pursuit? The only player I have seen score anything like that this season is Vydra. Very few strikers in the world will score from there.

He fluffed one chance for sure, a corner that was pinged in which he should have tried to steer towards goal rather than welly but it was hardly clear cut. How about the misses from Orlandi, Calderon and Buckley? Far more clear cut, but no one seems to be pulling them apart and Buckley was playing up top as well.

Not physically strong enough? I thought he was a menace. Held the ball up far better than CMS does and constantly gave as good as he got.

Finally, not strong enough mentally. Hmmm. I wonder ho mentally strong you would feel if you had people constantly waiting for you to fail. He's a 23 year old FFS who cost f*** all and has scored 37 goals in 117 games for us, and many of those where when he was playing out of position. I just do not understand why Brighton fans cannot support Brighton players. He's not Pele but if he had done a Chris Wood and scored a first half hat trick today think a lot of people on here would be questioning what he did in the second half.

This is also well said.

Never been Ashleys been biggest fan but thought he looked accomplished today and can see him growing into a very good striker in the future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i suppose this just shows there are some people who love to hate and dont actually pay much attention to the sport the pay to watch. i say watch in the loosest possible terms. reckon this chap dislikes Barnes scoring because he bores his mates about how bad he is, so looks like a plum. theres a few of this species on this board, who'd rather a player have bad game than have to acknowledge they are wrong.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Well said.

I think you were watching the same game as me. All I would add is that he won the majority of balls played up to him and only made a couple of bad passes, but the rest of the time the ball stuck to him and his link up play was great.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

You sir are a tit of the highest order

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Thought our ash had a great game today. He certainly looked to have a much better first touch than CMS and seems to suit the lone striker role better than CMS. Ok he isnt quite the finished article yet. Could do with abit more pace at times.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Hear, f***ing hear.
Post of the year.

That rhymed :rave:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought our ash had a great game today. He certainly looked to have a much better first touch than CMS and seems to suit the lone striker role better than CMS. Ok he isnt quite the finished article yet. Could do with abit more pace at times.

This.

And given a chance as a true striker, poached the goal that shocked Derby, and set us on our way.

CMS and others have failed in that poaching role in the Amex era.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

THIS and some need to remember his age... Class act and Poyets MoM

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Then he is a f***ing cock of the highest order !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here