Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re Barnes - the bloke who sits behind me...

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I think playing Barnes as a lone striker today showed up both his strengths and weaknesses. He was great at winning and holding up the ball, heading and bringing people into play. What he lacked was pace and strength at getting past players and creating space for a shot. He needs another striker in a 442 formation that he could form a good relationship and play off each other but don't think that is the Gus plan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It may have felt that way, but he was only responsible for 3. As were Hammond and Bridcutt.
I'm genuinely surprised by that.

But having closely studied CMS v NUFC, I guess I shouldn't be, as then I realised the heat of the moment and actual facts are very different.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
You clearly highlighted the characteristics required to be unable or not permitted to have a view on a player,.... Please just for me, tell me what traits a person must demonstrate to be considered a person who has a valid opinion?

Maybe not having a petty grudge against a player that you openly admit means he is not worthy of praise, even when he plays well? If someone (as this bloke did) wants a player to fail with that kind of conviction, then he is not worthy of an opinion, imo. Because he's not capable of rational, objective thought, he's just waiting for a mistake so he can feel justified.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
You clearly highlighted the characteristics required to be unable or not permitted to have a view on a player,.... Please just for me, tell me what traits a person must demonstrate to be considered a person who has a valid opinion?

Someone who understands football , isnt blinkered, and just doesnt hate a player for no reason?..Hows that for a starter!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Someone who understands football , isnt blinkered, and just doesnt hate a player for no reason?..Hows that for a starter!
Oh I have stated a good number of reasons, you are just blinkered and just love a player for no apparent reason.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Barnes, Bridcutt & Lopez were in a three-way shootout for MOM today for me. There was a bloke afterwards in WSU who I had a brief exchange of words with, who (and i quote) mouthed off at his mate "don't you dare defend Barnes!". He was wobbling on about Barnes having lead feet, never wins anything in the air, can't hold it up for shit and missed a sitter. I pointed out he is our best forward at winning it in the air, had brought it down on his chest (under pressure) multiple times, scored inside 90 seconds, and more or less everything he had said was utter gold plated bullshit. Barnes appears to be THE bizarre hate figure for Brighton "fans" who seem to have misunderstood their role and think because they stood on the Goldstone terraces 20 years ago and haven't been since that they have a divine right to call any player they want a cvnt. Is Barnes perfect? No. Does he finish every chance he gets? No. But he's a darn sight better than the wankers screaming for his throat, if skying a shot from a corner drilled across your body makes your worthy of that abuse, the fat pricks shouting it from the stands need the stocks as far as I'm concerned.

Thankyou, saved me typing the exact same sentiments.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
...actually said after ten minutes.

"I f**king hate it when he scores - it's so frustrating!'

Then went on to slag him off for the remaining 80 minutes.

I though he was good today. We looked better with him up top than Buckley.

A bloke that sits near me just moans all the time about barnes for the whole game and if hes not playing he switches to someone else. Poyet or another player.the guys an absolute prick can t understand why he bothers to turn up.thinking of moving my seat next season to get away from the him proper piss me off and to top it off he s a f***ing plastic united fan !

Spluthleagues

Oct 17, 2011
Someone may have said this already but i'm not going to go through every thread. IMO the reason the switch between Barnes and Buckley happened was due to Jamie Ward coming on. Derby's best player i thought. With Barnes' defensive work this is the only reason that makes sense as i thought he had a great game playing up top.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Might have been said already but Barnes' performance on Saturday reminded me a bit of Glenn Murray, great hold up play when controlling balls up to him, held off defenders then laid it off nicely to one of the supporting midfielders/wingers.

Buckley was then moved up front and while we managed to use his pace a few times to open them up, overall I thought that Barnes being dropped back contributed to us letting Derby take control of the last half hour.

kjgood

For what its worth I thought Barnes played well. Is it a coincidence that the team was set up slightly differently with Bridcutt pushing further forward than I've ever seen him do before, Lopez was also getting further forward and had perhaps his best game so far, and the passing certainly in the first half was crisp and we got it forward a lot quicker than usual.

Could I also suggest people think back to some of the players we have had 'on the books' over the years, i'm sure if there is some honesty some may realise that Barnes is better than a lot of them including some who enjoyed cult status, and you don't need to be a genius to work that one out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here