Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RAF Sergeant moved by Hospital in case his uniform ''offended '' people.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
As i see it this chap was injured while he was at work in uniform, he did not go home and change into his uniform, will the same happen if a policeman is injured at work, will he/she be hidden so as not to offend.
This "offended" lark has gone to far imo.

I'd venture to suggest that a police officer wouldn't be asked to wait in A&E on a Saturday might with all the drunks but like the soldier be ushered straight into the treatment area.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Clearly the wrong thing to do and above all unfair, but, what do you do when you working in a busy A and E and you've had a previous incident involving someone in uniform? Bit of a ham fisted attempt at trying to diffuse any potential incident but a shame that now everyone's having a pop at the hospital, but then, nurses and doctors are fair game for some people.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There had previously been an attack at that A & E Department by a member of the public on a patient in military uniform. Staff were aware of this and offered the RAF man the option of waiting for treatment out of view of the public. He accepted the offer and thanked them.

What was wrong with that?

You have a strange default position, you seem to find your own moral outrage in the most unlikely of places, notably the Guantanimo detainees and a member of the abhorrent Jihadist Deghayes family, yet cannot find reason to be appalled at the discrimination and subsequent capitulation of the authorities on one of our own servicemen, in one of our hospital here in the UK.

You have a strange default position, you seem to find your own moral outrage in the most unlikely of places, notably the Guantanimo detainees and a member of the abhorrent Jihadist Deghayes family, yet cannot find reason to be appalled at the discrimination and subsequent capitulation of the authorities on one of our own servicemen, in one of our hospital here in the UK.

You've been digging deep into the NSC archives and unearthed the fact that I, along with a lot of people in Brighton, supported the successful campaign by the Argus and the UK government, to get Omar Deghayes released from Camp Delta. That stuff dates back to 2005.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of this to my opinion that backs NHS staff when they offer support to a member of the armed services when he turns up at A&E to get treatment for an injury.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That's one hell of a strange comparison !!!! Deghayes may or may not have been guilty but of course the Americans were too arrogant to actually put him in a court to decide. You might as well argue that it would be right to lock everyone up who was at a football match where there was trouble ..... obviously without trial.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What a ridiculous state of affairs , I'm just waiting for the usual crowd to come on here desperately trying to make excuses for this , for me its indefensible :facepalm: You might also want to take a look at the way the BBC report has been edited, impartial my arse .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...spital-to-avoid-offending-other-patients.html

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/QEQM...RAF-sergeant/story-27872720-detail/story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34368332

A hospital that made an RAF sergeant move out of sight of other patients in case his uniform caused offence has been forced to apologise.
Aircraft engineer Mark Prendeville was relocated twice by hospital staff who allegedly told his family “they didn’t want to upset people” and “have lots of different cultures coming in”.
Sgt Prendeville was taken to the Accident and Emergency unit of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate, Kent after chemicals from a fire extinguisher got in to his eyes during a training exercise.
The 38-year-old, who has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, was taken first to an empty corner of the waiting room and later around a corner.
His father, who has also served in the armed forces, said he was “disgusted” by the way his son was treated.
“Mark was moved because of his uniform - he was told that twice,” Jim Prendeville told The Sun.
“The first time, they asked him to move around the corner. Then someone else came out and took him around another corner so no one would see him.
“They said they didn’t want to upset people in the hospital. The words they used were, ‘We’ve lots of different cultures’ coming in."
He added: “Mark was quite annoyed, but he’s a quiet lad and he didn’t want to kick up a fuss.
“He didn’t care about the burns, he felt worse about how he was treated. He felt bad about it.
“I was absolutely disgusted when I heard. I don’t know what is so offensive about a uniform.”
A spokesman for East Kent University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust apologised for “any embarrassment”.
“The employee was acting in good faith because previously there had been an altercation between a member of the public and a different member of the armed forced in uniform,” the spokesman said.
The father-of-one was treated for the chemicals in his eyes and prescribed drops. He is not expected to suffer long-term damage.

Can't you just make your point without feeling the need to goad others? It really does cheapen this man's story and makes me question how much you actually care about him or how much you are just a trolling pot stirrer. Pretty abhorant that you can attempt to turn a story like this into a platform for your aggressive agenda. Shameful in fact.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That's the totality of the story.

There have been commentators and journalists who have tried to explain why this happened, but they all seem to have had an agenda that they wished to pursue as well.

Exactly. Usual anti immigrant/right wing lot frothing at the mouth to defend something that doesn't need defending. Taking offence on behalf of others.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Exactly. Usual anti immigrant/right wing lot frothing at the mouth to defend something that doesn't need defending. Taking offence on behalf of others.

why have you presumed the member of staff that asked the soldier to move was an immigrant,i dont remember this being mentioned or brought up in any articles.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You've been digging deep into the NSC archives and unearthed the fact that I, along with a lot of people in Brighton, supported the successful campaign by the Argus and the UK government, to get Omar Deghayes released from Camp Delta. That stuff dates back to 2005.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of this to my opinion that backs NHS staff when they offer support to a member of the armed services when he turns up at A&E to get treatment for an injury.

No we debated it at the time and I havent trolled any previous posts.

But I do recall that you somehow thought Omar Deghayes shouldnt of been picked up in Northern Afghanistan by the USA military deep within Taliban country and you offered his excuse of 'nut picking' !!

As I also recall you seemed to even have a personal stake in the 'Save Omar' petition, but although I can confirm your support maybe only you can confirm that level of support.

The Deghayes family story has since unravelled into a life of Jahdism and fighting in Syria for ISIS, but even at the time when the brother was taped saying he wanted to kill Blair and Omar having a holiday with the Taliban there you were supporting that family.

Its relevant to this story because it isnt the mentally ill that are predisposed to become violent towards our military, you know damn well its some UK muslims that the hospital were 'protecting' him from.

You seem at times to be an apologists and your previous comments show your lack of judgement on anything Islam.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
DIP and HT to name just two.

NSCs permanently offended want me to make excuses for a nurse?
As I can only know what is written in the links, I am unable to make any excuse, other than it is clearly not the hospitals policy.

However, I would like to express my unreserved apologies on behalf of the nurse.

'I apologise on behalf of the nurse who has offended NSC's permanently offended, and regret the pain and anguish caused'.

Alright? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Unfortunately this type of incident has happened before, quite a few times, the apology has been put forward, and by and large it seems to be tolerated because a fairly false apology has been deemed appropriate/appeasement. What ever the view on wars and our involvement, at the end of the day these troops are from our country and in past conflicts have never been disrespected.....now they are.

A 'fairly false apology'? You must have some inside information, please tell

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A quick edit by you, but accepting a comparison of 'the troubles' highlights the problem quite well, something you have been less inclined to do when discussing Islam in Britain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't you just love the press in this country?
I've served in the armed forces along with Hindus, Nepalese, Muslims et al. A member of the nursing staff asked the sergeant, is he WANTED to move, not was asked to move. The basic truth doesn't make such a 'good' news story.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
A quick edit by you, but accepting a comparison of 'the troubles' highlights the problem quite well, something you have been less inclined to do when discussing Islam in Britain.

I edited it out, as its not really the same scenario. We were stopped from wearing our uniforms as it made us targets. Not for causing 'offence'.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Don't you just love the press in this country?
I've served in the armed forces along with Hindus, Nepalese, Muslims et al. A member of the nursing staff asked the sergeant, is he WANTED to move, not was asked to move. The basic truth doesn't make such a 'good' news story.

Not when theres a shit stirring agenda to promote.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No inside information DIP, just my opinion which is why I posted it, and not as fact.

Aha, it seemed quite direct, and not posted as opinion tbh. Maybe suggesting its your opinion next time ;-)

'the apology has been put forward, and by and large it seems to be tolerated because a fairly false apology has been deemed appropriate/appeasement'

What was false about it? In your opinion of course.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Aha, it seemed quite direct, and not posted as opinion tbh. Maybe suggesting its your opinion next time ;-)

'the apology has been put forward, and by and large it seems to be tolerated because a fairly false apology has been deemed appropriate/appeasement'

What was false about it? In your opinion of course.

False because imo I think it was just to appease/appropriate as stated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here