Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio on-air requests [and some Facebook behaviour] ... they are so pathetic

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... And I've never LIKED anything. Not once. If I'm going to respond, I'll respond. But if anyone ever sees a LIKE from me, I want them to come round my house, smash up my router, and hit me in the FACE with a rolling pin.

I'm 100% with you on this. Companies asking you to LIKE them? NO WAY! I'm doing business with them, buying from them, but no way am I liking them. And Radio 2 asks you to LIKE them too. Why the hell would I want to do that?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Another comment which really really annoys me on the wireless is when someone asks the presenter to give a "shout out" to their friend. Shout out?? What's a shout out?? Do you mean "say hello"? Must be an age thing.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am very late to this wonderful conversation. I unfollow if someone says morning or night tweeps. I follow for content and interest, not a sodding summary of their daily routine.

Dear Mr Barrel of Fun. Sorry, but you should not be posting on this thread in view of your comment "It's a very daft original question, but Goldstone is daft" on my TV reporters thread. It's not a good idea to associate in any way with daft people.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dear Mr Barrel of Fun. Sorry, but you should not be posting on this thread in view of your comment "It's a very daft original question, but Goldstone is daft" on my TV reporters thread. It's not a good idea to associate in any way with daft people.

The daft comment was on your thread about journalists, you dafty.

I thought it was quite obvious that journalists should be out and about near their subject matter.

I'll leave you in peace.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I'd put that on a par with people who leave Facebook messages saying "Soooooo pissed off right now" - and just leaving it there.

Cue dozens of replies saying

"Whats up hun ?"
"Here for you xx"
"Message me if u wanna tlk"
"You ok babe ? xxxx"
"Sending hugs"

Seriously makes me want to VOMIT all over my phone.

This. I had someone make a sweeping statement on Fb' dont get married, waste of time'.
I replied with ' in your opinion' and then all hell broke loose, they messaged me with'you dont know anything about my life'. I then unfriended and blocked them. I think people do put these comments on as they want to feel wanted and popular, yet when they get the opposite, they go off on one. Very Sad.

I use facebook and twitter for my business and it is a superb platform if used correctly.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have pondered on joining Facebook, this thread has decided me not too. Cannot find to whom the quote is attributable but the definition of Facebook as " a room full of noisy people, each with nothing to say" nails it for me.

Find Twitter potentially useful for work, also have a personal account follow organisations that interest me such as BHAFC, Bluebell Railway and the like but don't think my life would be incomplete without it!

Surely it depends on what sort of friends you have. Others on this thread complaining about their friends and colleague's updates, obviously have those inane sort of friends.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I don't mind Facebook, just see it as a bit of fun really.

Though it does get quite pathetic at times, like when a work colleage unfriended my because I hadn't "liked" enough of her posts .Thats got to be attention seeking at its worst.

Oh, and I don't get me started on the 3 times a day request sent to me to play Candy Crush........

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't mind Facebook particularly, although it is interesting seeing different people's etiquette with regards to its use. It's a little bit of a diversion from the grind of everyday life and a bit of fun. I have a simple rule with requests and begging statuses, unless it interests me, I'll ignore them. I particularly get irritated by those 'how outrageous it is that Facebook is going to start charging £10 a month' posts. Yeah, let's revisit that one. If they ever did do that, they'd lose the majority of their members overnight. Not a particularly lucrative business model.

Tell you what does get me though. People that have about 700-800 plus friends on their friend list. How is that possible? I mean, I've got probably around a couple of hundred on my friend list which was rather inflated a few years ago when people from school found each other on there, as well as a number of acquaintances, friends of friends etc. But how on earth do people get to know 800 people unless they are in a position where they network with people every day of their life? I don't think I've ever met 800 people in the sense of being introduced to them. It does seem as though people now live out an artificial reality as well as an actual one and we are privy to the affairs of half-acquaintances whether we like it or not.

Popmaster is MEGA!

Always listen to it if im in the car. Always the same; Dave from Canterbury claiming that usually scores about 360. 10 minutes later, after failing to name any of the beatles, he's scored 4!

I was on it once - got 27, other guy got 30. Keep meaning to enter it again, I was surprised how easy it was to get chosen, got picked on the second attempt.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I was on it once - got 27, other guy got 30. Keep meaning to enter it again, I was surprised how easy it was to get chosen, got picked on the second attempt.

I've rung up a few times. Didn't get through the pre-qualifying questions the first 2-3 occasions, but have had them take my details on occasion since, but haven't managed to get on air yet.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Never update my status on it, I like a few pages, especially ones that interest me as quite a lot of them don't have Twitter. The thing that irritates me about Facebook though are definitely when horrible videos pop up on my homepage and people feel compelled to comment on them telling me it's horrible, which therefore puts it on my newsfeed. Worse, sometimes people share it and say the same thing. Really irritates me. In relation to the friends list, I tend to just accept everyone, as I don't have too much personal information on there. I delete people when they send me those game requests which I really ****ing hate.

I don't see why people hate Facebook that much though, it's really not that bad.

Twitter. People for whom everything seems to be a never ending source of pleasure and delight eg. "looking forward to meeting with..........., exciting visit and meeting at....etc etc". One day I am sure there will be a "great visit to dentist for root canal work made even more rewarding as he had run out of anaesthetic" Tweet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Twitter. People for whom everything seems to be a never ending source of pleasure and delight eg. "looking forward to meeting with..........., exciting visit and meeting at....etc etc". One day I am sure there will be a "great visit to dentist for root canal work made even more rewarding as he had run out of anaesthetic" Tweet.

You're following the wrong people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here