Radio on-air requests [and some Facebook behaviour] ... they are so pathetic

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Other people's attention seeking Wedding Anniversary posts "4 years ago today I married the most beautiful Man/Woman on the planet, I'm so lucky blah blah blah" I know, 4 years ago we all had to pay for the stag do, the wedding gifts, the suits, the booze, the hotels, the taxi back form the middle of bloody nowhere you held your reception. I have no desire to go through that ****ing circus again thanks.

I don't get celebrating other people's anniversarys.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was on Facebook for a few months, decided it was an utter waste of time unless you were a teenager (or thought like one). Long since terminated my account....

As for the original poster, Ken Bruce is one of the last decent presenters on Radio 2, the carrot headed tw*t that precedes him, Vine's rent-a gob show and Steve 'no discernible talent' Wright are all unlistenable.:nono:

EDIT Vanessa Feltz is doing Vines r-a-g show this week and is even worse! :shit:

Actually I don't mind Facebook as it is an easy and quick way to keep in touch with people met on holiday, work etc.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I'd love to read a genuine, well-written thesis on how Facebook has changed people's behaviour, now that everyone is kind of a mini-celebrity.

Another one that baffles me is people who put the most BANAL statuses ever, like:

"Just had a ham sandwich. It was quite nice."

WHY DO YOU THINK ANYONE COULD EVER CARE?

If you were born between 1977-2000 you are now part of the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) generation. Trend spotters and advertisers know this and now look for the next big thing to milk this generation of some cash e.g those comic book scenarios that have started to appear this week on Facebook.

Just Google "FOMO Generation" and you will have your answer.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
See, here's something I really don't understand.

You fancied listening to a song you hadn't heard in ages, fair enough. So you phoned up a radio station to ask them to play it for you ?? This isn't 1988. Could you not have gone to Spotify ? Itunes ? YouTube ? Even if they'd said yes ok, they'll add your song to the list - you're then stuck with listening to the show, presumably with all their ads, their news, their weather, their travel, their chatter, till it eventually (maybe) comes on. And even then, you'll probably have some inane 21 year old DJ with an earring in his eyebrow talking utter bollocks over the start and end of your track.

I'm not having a go here. I'm just genuinely mystified why, in an age when you can listen to anything instantly or download it for keeps, you'd instead go to the trouble of phoning up a radio station on the offchance that they might stick it on for you some time in the next 3 hours somewhere in amongst the rest of their pap.

Well you don't have all of those options available to you when you are driving back from Manchester do you, its not like you can download a song on the drive back. Ipod battery ran out so didn't have much choice but to listen to radio on the drive back.

Another thing that's annoying is when you do listen to a station, they start repeating songs. You could flick between 4 or 5 stations over a 4 hour period and hear a total of about 6 different songs!!

Bottom line, if you have no other choice and you do have to listen to the radio, its shit!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
"Please can you play Love Me Do for my wife Helen and tell her I love her very much".

If you want to tell your wife you love her, tell her yourself. We, the radio listeners, DON'T CARE. We don't know you, we don't know your wife, and we certainly are not particularly concerned whether you love her or not.

These mindless stupid requests drive me mad. Why can't they just get on with playing the music?

And then on Popmaster Ken Bruce asks the contestant questions such as "what do you do for a living?" and "what are your plans for the weekend?" Again, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN. Just get on with the programme.

Far too much mindless drivel on the wireless.

And, yes, I know I can turn it off, and regularly do so ....

A man after my own heart. I will turn off any phone-in and also whenever there is more than one presenter and they talk to each other. Who's life is so sad that they are interested.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Other people's attention seeking Wedding Anniversary posts "4 years ago today I married the most beautiful Man/Woman on the planet, I'm so lucky blah blah blah" I know, 4 years ago we all had to pay for the stag do, the wedding gifts, the suits, the booze, the hotels, the taxi back form the middle of bloody nowhere you held your reception. I have no desire to go through that ****ing circus again thanks.

I don't get celebrating other people's anniversarys.

Popmaster is MEGA!

Always listen to it if im in the car. Always the same; Dave from Canterbury claiming that usually scores about 360. 10 minutes later, after failing to name any of the beatles, he's scored 4!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've noticed some people doing this on Twitter too and it also puzzles me.

About the only scenario I consider this might be acceptable is if the tweetee is terminally ill and, as such, there's a chance they might not be about in the morning. Therefore a chirpy "Morning peeps/tweeps" lets their followers know that they are still going. Other than that -why?

I prefix my first tweet of the day with it every now and again but always add to it. It just seems politer. Call me odd if you want.

As for FB I've used it twice in 2 years or there abouts and feel much better for it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What are your views on people leaving Facebook messages to people who clearly aren't going to be on Facebook, such as "A very happy first birthday to my beautiful littlly boy George" and the like?

Absolutely pathetic.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Popmaster is MEGA!

Always listen to it if im in the car. Always the same; Dave from Canterbury claiming that usually scores about 360. 10 minutes later, after failing to name any of the beatles, he's scored 4!

Ha, true. I quite like R2, have it on most of the day if I'm working from home. Switch to R4 when Wright comes on though, cannot abide the man.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Oooh this is a good thread. My favourites are as folllows:

• "Sum ppl need to get a lyf."
  • "It's times like dis that you kno who ur real friends r."
  • "Happy Birthday to my 1 year-old child who cannot use a computer. Love you bubba"
  • "Happy Birthday to your 1 year-old baby who cannot use a computer. Love Me, My Wife and my Dog xx"
  • "Look at me! I'm travelling somewhere hot on a beach having the time of my life!! How's England?"
  • "Share this photo of a dead baby to cure cancer"
  • Photos with quotes scrawled across them Eg. A sunset with "Live for today for tomorrow is a boat full of promise"
  • Screenshots of text message conversations.
  • Screenshots of photos taken on ios with black borders at the top and bottom
  • Screenshots of made up autocorrect "mistakes" which people think are real. "Hi Mom, wanna suck my cock?... Woooah! I meant to say "What time is dinner?" damn autocorrect!!!1111!!"
  • Daily Mail articles

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oooh this is a good thread. My favourites are as folllows:

• "Sum ppl need to get a lyf."
  • "It's times like dis that you kno who ur real friends r."
  • "Happy Birthday to my 1 year-old child who cannot use a computer. Love you bubba"
  • "Happy Birthday to your 1 year-old baby who cannot use a computer. Love Me, My Wife and my Dog xx"
  • "Look at me! I'm travelling somewhere hot on a beach having the time of my life!! How's England?"
  • "Share this photo of a dead baby to cure cancer"
  • Photos with quotes scrawled across them Eg. A sunset with "Live for today for tomorrow is a boat full of promise"
  • Screenshots of text message conversations.
  • Screenshots of photos taken on ios with black borders at the top and bottom
  • Screenshots of made up autocorrect "mistakes" which people think are real. "Hi Mom, wanna suck my cock?... Woooah! I meant to say "What time is dinner?" damn autocorrect!!!1111!!"
  • Daily Mail articles

All good. Can I add posts written as if from their baby: "I love my new booties Auntie Lou, aren't I cute in them! Lots of love Augustus".

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Radio on-air requests ... they are so pathetic

I'd put that on a par with people who leave Facebook messages saying "Soooooo pissed off right now" - and just leaving it there.

Cue dozens of replies saying

"Whats up hun ?"
"Here for you xx"
"Message me if u wanna tlk"
"You ok babe ? xxxx"
"Sending hugs"

Seriously makes me want to VOMIT all over my phone.

Thankfully I have hand selected my friends over the years and there aren't many who would do that.

However, a few recent acquaintances do do that, as well as lots of selfies. Most annoying.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you were born between 1977-2000 you are now part of the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) generation. Trend spotters and advertisers know this and now look for the next big thing to milk this generation of some cash e.g those comic book scenarios that have started to appear this week on Facebook.

Just Google "FOMO Generation" and you will have your answer.

I bet you were born in 1976. I understand your point, although it wasn't quite what I was talking about.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One that I don't particularly hate but always makes me chuckle is when you have a fairly fit mate on there, they always have an absolute beast of a mate. Every now and again there will be a picture of them on a night out and the swampdonkey will be in some ridiculously skimpy dress, looking hideous and there will be a slew of posts underneath from their female mates saying "Wow, you look gorgeous hun" "Stunning" "Wowser!". We all know you are a rotter, including your mates. I am often so tempted to post the truth but you just can't can you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I only go on facebook to clear my notifications, log in browse through notifications, deal with any messages/invites, log out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports