Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio on-air requests [and some Facebook behaviour] ... they are so pathetic

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Glad I'm not alone in that irk of mine then.
Another one - people who update their Facebook status with "Morning peeps x"

What. Is. The. POINT ? How can there possibly be a reply to that of even the REMOTEST interest to anyone ? The replies invariably go

"MORNING!" (exclamation mark and capitals, to try and sound "chirpy"
"Hey babe" (slightly desperate suggestion of flirtiness)
"Good morning" (well, what else is there to say type reply)
":eek:)" (everyone else has already said what I was going to say, so I'll just do a little smily"

And then you'll have half a dozen "likes". I mean seriously, you LIKED a post that said "Morning peeps" that much that you felt compelled to use a mouse click, or use up another fraction of your 3G dataplan, to regsiter online that you LIKED reading someone saying "Morning peeps".

Its times like these I genuinely fear for our species.

I've noticed some people doing this on Twitter too and it also puzzles me.

About the only scenario I consider this might be acceptable is if the tweetee is terminally ill and, as such, there's a chance they might not be about in the morning. Therefore a chirpy "Morning peeps/tweeps" lets their followers know that they are still going. Other than that -why?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think it's Steve Wright who does all those phone requests. It's kind of to be expected, he's that kind of presenter. If it means something to both parties then it is quite sweet really, if not my cup of tea.

My Facebook hate is those cards people post that usually say summat like "I like my wine like I like my men, strong and lined up in rows" usually accompanied by a pen and Ink drawing of a Victorian lady smoking.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

What. Is. The. POINT ? How can there possibly be a reply to that of even the REMOTEST interest to anyone ? The replies invariably go

":eek:)" (everyone else has already said what I was going to say, so I'll just do a little smily"

And then you'll have half a dozen "likes". I mean seriously, you LIKED a post that said "Morning peeps" that much that you felt compelled to use a mouse click, or use up another fraction of your 3G dataplan, to regsiter online that you LIKED reading someone saying "Morning peeps".

Spot on Easy,could never see the attraction of Facebook.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ah but when Courtney Cummz does it on twitter, with added photo it's hard...

...not to be impressed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've noticed some people doing this on Twitter too and it also puzzles me.

About the only scenario I consider this might be acceptable is if the tweetee is terminally ill and, as such, there's a chance they might not be about in the morning. Therefore a chirpy "Morning peeps/tweeps" lets their followers know that they are still going. Other than that -why?

Indeed. It must be an inward desperation to be seen and acknowledged I suppose. Those kind of tweets just say to me:

"I have absolutely nothing to say, I honestly just cannot think of a damn thing, but I MUST STILL SPEAK UNTO TO MY BRETHREN RIGHT NOW, LEST THEY FORGET OF MY EXISTANCE"

If you had, say, a hundred followers. And you lived in a house with all of them. When you got up in the morning, would you feel compelled to knock on each of their doors, pop your head round and say "morning peeps !". Of course not. It would be as time-consuming as it is pointless. The fact that Twitter means its NOT time consuming doesn't make it any less pointless though, does it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I hate Facebook and Twitter - crap ideas for mindless morons ( that probably makes me stupid, old or both ! ).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'd love to read a genuine, well-written thesis on how Facebook has changed people's behaviour, now that everyone is kind of a mini-celebrity.

Another one that baffles me is people who put the most BANAL statuses ever, like:

"Just had a ham sandwich. It was quite nice."

WHY DO YOU THINK ANYONE COULD EVER CARE?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I'd love to read a genuine, well-written thesis on how Facebook has changed people's behaviour, now that everyone is kind of a mini-celebrity.

Another one that baffles me is people who put the most BANAL statuses ever, like:

"Little man just had his first wee wee in his potty, so proud right now :)"
Que hundreds of

"yay go alfie lol xxxx"

They should be ****ing exterminated. You sad sad ****s. If my life really was that pathetic, I would welcome death.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And lets not even get STARTED on the "inspirational messages", invariably printed in an itallic font, across a moody photo of some footprints in the sand on a remote beach. OK, I will.

"Share this status if your child means more to you than anything in the entire world, if you would give your dying breath just to see a flicker of their smile, if you would crawl a million miles over bits of Lego just to scrape dried marmite off their elbow, if you would lick piss off a nettle just to hold their coat in a queue for the toilet at McDonalds, if you would ram your own face into a threshing machine just to hear them tell you they think they've fcked up your Ipad...share this status..."

I tell you, those shite sentimental ones attract 'likes' from all the fcknuggets like flies to a steaming great turd.

I have pondered on joining Facebook, this thread has decided me not too. Cannot find to whom the quote is attributable but the definition of Facebook as " a room full of noisy people, each with nothing to say" nails it for me.

Find Twitter potentially useful for work, also have a personal account follow organisations that interest me such as BHAFC, Bluebell Railway and the like but don't think my life would be incomplete without it!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
And lets not even get STARTED on the "inspirational messages", invariably printed in an itallic font, across a moody photo of some footprints in the sand on a remote beach. OK, I will.

"Share this status if your child means more to you than anything in the entire world, if you would give your dying breath just to see a flicker of their smile, if you would crawl a million miles over bits of Lego just to scrape dried marmite off their elbow, if you would lick piss off a nettle just to hold their coat in a queue for the toilet at McDonalds, if you would ram your own face into a threshing machine just to hear them tell you they think they've fcked up your Ipad...share this status..."

I tell you, those shite sentimental ones attract 'likes' from all the fcknuggets like flies to a steaming great turd.

LIKE xx

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"Please can you play Love Me Do for my wife Helen and tell her I love her very much".

If you want to tell your wife you love her, tell her yourself. We, the radio listeners, DON'T CARE. We don't know you, we don't know your wife, and we certainly are not particularly concerned whether you love her or not.

These mindless stupid requests drive me mad. Why can't they just get on with playing the music?

And then on Popmaster Ken Bruce asks the contestant questions such as "what do you do for a living?" and "what are your plans for the weekend?" Again, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN. Just get on with the programme.

Far too much mindless drivel on the wireless.

And, yes, I know I can turn it off, and regularly do so ....

Try Radio Reverb then.

We don't stop for ads, news, travel, weather, time checks or dedications; we have NONE of that shit.

And we don't have a playlist.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great thread. And how many times have you thought of a brilliant, sarcastic response to some of these banal and / or sugary status updates only to veto it on the basis of how - without the benefit of facial expressions or body language - half of readers will think you're a complete dick and not the comic genius you actually are?!

My favourite Facebook status ever - that really reached rock-bottom in banality - was:

Poster: "I'm off to work".
Friend: "Good luck with work".

Then there are distant friends who you used to know at school who now clog up your News Feed with pap. The temptation to "like" their despondent status updates when they're sad or injured is also tempting, but ultimately counter-productive.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I called a station a few days ago requesting Drops of Jupiter by Train, great song and not heard it for a while. I was told, sorry mate, cant play that, I said I thought it was a request show? The person on the phone told me, you can only request certain songs from our play list.

They then said, how about some Bruno Mars.....I hung up!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I called a station a few days ago requesting Drops of Jupiter by Train, great song and not heard it for a while. I was told, sorry mate, cant play that, I said I thought it was a request show? The person on the phone told me, you can only request certain songs from our play list.

They then said, how about some Bruno Mars.....I hung up!

See, here's something I really don't understand.

You fancied listening to a song you hadn't heard in ages, fair enough. So you phoned up a radio station to ask them to play it for you ?? This isn't 1988. Could you not have gone to Spotify ? Itunes ? YouTube ? Even if they'd said yes ok, they'll add your song to the list - you're then stuck with listening to the show, presumably with all their ads, their news, their weather, their travel, their chatter, till it eventually (maybe) comes on. And even then, you'll probably have some inane 21 year old DJ with an earring in his eyebrow talking utter bollocks over the start and end of your track.

I'm not having a go here. I'm just genuinely mystified why, in an age when you can listen to anything instantly or download it for keeps, you'd instead go to the trouble of phoning up a radio station on the offchance that they might stick it on for you some time in the next 3 hours somewhere in amongst the rest of their pap.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
or that ****ing giraffe thing.

Actually that giraffe thing has taken an amusing twist, hackers have cottoned onto it and started embedding malware in to giraffe pictures so that when people do a Google search and open the picture it infects their computer with a virus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You fancied listening to a song you hadn't heard in ages, fair enough. So you phoned up a radio station to ask them to play it for you ?? This isn't 1988. Could you not have gone to Spotify ? Itunes ? YouTube ? Even if they'd said yes ok, they'll add your song to the list - you're then stuck with listening to the show, presumably with all their ads, their news, their weather, their travel, their chatter, till it eventually (maybe) comes on. And even then, you'll probably have some inane 21 year old DJ with an earring in his eyebrow talking utter bollocks over the start and end of your track.

I'm not having a go here. I'm just genuinely mystified why, in an age when you can listen to anything instantly or download it for keeps, you'd instead go to the trouble of phoning up a radio station on the offchance that they might stick it on for you some time in the next 3 hours somewhere amongst the rest of their pap.

Also it's a SHITHOUSE song so please just listen to it on your own, on headphones. :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I'm not having a go here. I'm just genuinely mystified why, in an age when you can listen to anything instantly or download it for keeps, you'd instead go to the trouble of phoning up a radio station on the offchance that they might stick it on for you some time in the next 3 hours somewhere amongst the rest of their pap.

Obvious - when they mention your name on the air you become FAMOUS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here