Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the radio man to ask Oscar.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Liverpool do not play 442, they play 433

http://eplindex.com/27884/scouting-report-liverpool-stats-tactical-analysis.html

"Team set up in a fluid 4x3x3 with clear idea of how they want to play and how to adapt to different defensive pressure in different areas of the pitch from the opposition.
Look to play with initiative and control the game.
Very good dynamics and mobility to use in offensive play, with mobility from all 3 attacking players to interchange, come deep and stretch defence with runs into depth. Also mobility from Gerrard and Allen to drop deep and break lines to support attack.
In first phase & second phase they look to play short from the back [goalkeeper good with feet]. The centre backs will split, full-backs will be high + wide to create big and open pitch. Lucas will also drop between the centre backs to help gain the initiative & help the build up and progression of play from the back. Gerrard & Allen will split and go on the outside of the opposition central midfielders and Suarez will drop in between lines to draw the opposition defensive line further from goal to create depth to exploit."
And it works.... for them.

When we have players of the calibre of Gerrard, Allen, Lucas and Suarez, I look forward to seeing Brighton play that way.

Until then, I'd rather us play to the strengths of Ince, Buckley, Ulloa and Spanish Dave.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
I'm no tactics expert, but the formation is fine imo, they are all neutral as Jonathan Wilson and others before and after him have thought/said, but we do need to speed up the passing from the back and passing and movement in midfield and out wide and get more people in and round the pen area. All quite simple stuff really. A bit more risk is okay by me. We look like we are trying but the pesky opposition get in the way as they know to clamp down on our time and space to play out from the back.

I have read that the "Barcelona way" is to play ostensibly a holder, runner and passer (though the three they have are all superb and can do more than one thing) in midfield. I think we can do away with one of Andrews or Ince in a midfield three at home at least.

How did OG's side in Israel play?

Overall, I'm very much in the "you're all doing very well" camp.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm no tactics expert, but the formation is fine imo, they are all neutral as Jonathan Wilson and others before and after him have thought/said, but we do need to speed up the passing from the back and passing and movement in midfield and out wide and get more people in and round the pen area. All quite simple stuff really. A bit more risk is okay by me. We look like we are trying but the pesky opposition get in the way as they know to clamp down on our time and space to play out from the back.

I have read that the "Barcelona way" is to play ostensibly a holder, runner and passer (though the three they have are all superb and can do more than one thing) in midfield. I think we can do away with one of Andrews or Ince in a midfield three at home at least.

How did OG's side in Israel play?

Overall, I'm very much in the "you're all doing very well" camp.

the highlights I watched it looked fast and shoot on sight
one of which I have not seen on any highlights of the Albion ......................yet ,cue some long shots today

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You can go on about stats all day.

I'll bring up our last home game. 23 shots I think was quoted somewhere. You claim thats a fact to back up the formation works.

Well, I saw the game with my owns eyes, and saw their goalkeeper make one reasonable save from Lingards volley.

That there is where your argument falls apart - 23 shots proves that the formation and the philosophy are working - patient build up play and working an opportunity to shoot. It's the FINISHING that is letting us down. If we can get the final option in the box that can convert the chances we create, then we're flying.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That there is where your argument falls apart - 23 shots proves that the formation and the philosophy are working - patient build up play and working an opportunity to shoot. It's the FINISHING that is letting us down. If we can get the final option in the box that can convert the chances we create, then we're flying.

thats the point it has not happened all season
and most of last as well

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We won't agree because you won't actually answer the question directly.

However the one thing that is clearly different between your view and mine, is that your opinion has nothing to back it up. You keep talking about the style of football and the number of goals we score, which I have tried to explain to you. For example I've actually referred to the stats showing the number of shots we have had.

I think when you say attacking football, you mean exciting football, which actually translates to higher risk. There is a reason why a number of managers and teams do not play like that. It's the high risk bit.

BTW I enjoy a lot of things about football and also I like different styles of play. What's good about that is that it means I can enjoy and appreciate different aspects of the game rather than this "It's not the football I like so therefore it's not entertaining" attitude.

You say you're in the majority, and that it's down to clever marketing that numbers haven't declined. I say there's nothing to back that up, except for your opinion. Have a look at the polls etc on NSC. Even in this micro example of BHA support, you are in the minority. Sorry about that.
Hope enjoyed you today. Still think that style of football is entertaining? Typical performance in my eyes!

Did you go and see the ground empty? Did you hear the boos at half time and full time?? Did you hear the fans on the radio after??

Still think I'm in the minority??

Still think our tactics work?

The system is great. Works really well if you have the players to play it. As I have been saying all along, we DO NOT!

The body language of the of the players has been off for a while now. Today it was shocking. They are not good enough to play your "poker" football. But I still say they are a better bunch of players than Burnley, but we'll never know all the time we force them to play a way they are not good enough for. And before you mention the penatly, Boro should have been out of sight by then!

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hope enjoyed you today. Still think that style of football is entertaining? Typical performance in my eyes!

Did you go and see the ground empty? Did you hear the boos at half time and full time?? Did you hear the fans on the radio after??

The system is great. Works really well if you have the players to play it. As I have been saying all along, we DO NOT!

The body language of the of the players has been off for a while now. Today it was shocking. They are not good enough to play your "poker" football. But I still say they are a better bunch of players than Burnley, but we'll never know all the time we force them to play a way they are not good enough for. And before you mention the penatly, Boro should have been out of sight by then!

I hear where you are coming from
talking of hearing ,listening to the commentary even they were getting hacked off by the tactics
Stephens fit ,so why was he not playing, Agestein fit so why was he not playing, Buckers not fit so why was he playing.
the club have thrown away the chance to make money and perhaps the slim chance of promotion and 60+m

we can still make it but not playing like they did today
I did not see it
I did not have to
the booing at half time and full time told me all I wanted to know

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Something just struck me. I feel I'm fairly right in my views on Oscar on the other threads, but are we missing something?

He came here promising attacking football. Many would agree that this has been far from the case.

We have had a bad injury list this season, but not once has Oscar changed formation/tactics to suit the players he has.

We all thought that Oscar being our "Head Coach" and not manager was due to Poyet's possible court case.

But is their another reason? Has Oscar been told to keep the system.... "The Brighton Way"... if you like, and does he have his hands tied?

The last time I recall he switched to a more basic 4-4-2 was against QPR in the 73rd minute. We all know what happened there. Exiciting attacking football and goals in the right end. But since he's gone back to the "Brighton Way".

So whilst a lot are calling him boring, including me, could he switch to a sy for example 4-4-2 if he wanted to, or as head coach and not manager, can he only coach the players to play "our" system, and not manage the system as a manager would? So does the term head coach mean exactly that in our case?

So the question I would liked asked is "Oscar, a lot of fans are saying we are too negative and would like to see a more attacking/direct system (as he was asked last week). Is it your choice to play this system, or is it a system the club want to play? Could you play a 4-4-2 or 5-4-1 or another system if you wanted to".

Why else could it be that he will not change, despite our goals scored this year being pathetic in comparison to our league position. Surely with the amount of injuries we've had, you would have thought a "manager" in full control would have adapted the system....... starting to wonder now if getting on Oscars back is fair!

...Or why bring JFC on for Buckley instead of LuaLua or March. Inexplicable.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Can someone define "attacking football" for me please?

If you've got the ball more than the opposition, you cannot be "defending".

As myself and others have posted on a number of occasions, we do have a decent number of shots. It's not "defensive football" just because the people taking those shots KEEP MISSING.

ANd before anyone says "passing it backwards and forwards between defenders isn't attacking"... No it isn't attacking, but it's not defensive either, it's keeping hold of the ball until a decent opportunity arises to pass the ball forward or as listed on wiki "a large number of primarily short passes are deployed by multiple players of the team before culminating in a definitive strike on the opposing team's goal."

(i've put the bit in bold that's an issue)

Anyway.... I'd ask him if he thinks playing possession football requires a higher level of technical skill, and if that is the case can that be achieved using the sort of players available at Championship level.

It's clear that passing style takes years of practise and for us i think that goal will be achieved through our academy! If we get this right it could well be Oscars true legacy at our club. It's going to take time though, frustrating it maybe but i'd rather see our club striving for elegant football within a budget then some of the other styles that pass for football. That will keep my interest for years to come. UTA

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Er....It's not my poker football.

If you could actually read and digest things properly you'd see that I posted about enjoying and appreciating lots of styles of football. As it goes I have been trying to explain possession football to you, but you're such as self serving moron you don't understand it.

As for today, the performance was shit and I didn't think it justified anything, although subjective football neanderthals like yourself probably think it means we should go to up front with wingers. Oh who would that be? the wingers who can't play a full 90 minutes? with the striker who was declared fit only this morning.

Get over yourself.

The squad today was decimated by injuries/illness and we had absolutely no options on the bench. The players who were on the pitch put in a shocking performance.

Boro should have been out of sight? No they weren't great either, we were just shitter.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Er....It's not my poker football.

If you could actually read and digest things properly you'd see that I posted about enjoying and appreciating lots of styles of football. As it goes I have been trying to explain possession football to you, but you're such as self serving moron you don't understand it.

As for today, the performance was shit and I didn't think it justified anything, although subjective football neanderthals like yourself probably think it means we should go to up front with wingers. Oh who would that be? the wingers who can't play a full 90 minutes? with the striker who was declared fit only this morning.

Get over yourself.

The squad today was decimated by injuries/illness and we had absolutely no options on the bench. The players who were on the pitch put in a shocking performance.

Boro should have been out of sight? No they weren't great either, we were just shitter.
Oh here we go!

Didn't take long for the name calling to start. Moron. Neanderthal! Funny how someone who can't win an argument or has a different opinion to someone else has to resort to name calling. Very sad. But I'll try and keep is polite even if you can't. I don't need someone lik to to explain possession football to me thank you very much. I understand it fully. You only need to watch Barcelona to see ho its played. IMO its boring. I dont enjoy it. But would certainly enjoy it more, if I got to sit at the Amex, and see that class of player play it and get us results. But when I see Brighton and Hove Albion atempt it, it borders on the laughable in my opinion. Everyones got the hump about yesterday, as I have, but that is all we can expect with a group of championship players.

Again, that is not a dig at the players. I feel they are good enough to be up there with Burnley, not battling it out with Bournemouth!

You're next point, which you do like to hark on about. should go to up front with wingers. Oh who would that be? the wingers who can't play a full 90 minutes? with the striker who was declared fit only this morning.David Rodriguez is a striker. Jesse Lingard is a striker. Leo Ulloa is a striker. There's three to pick from.

Winger. LuaLua. I'm sure if you ask him he'll tell he can play 90 minutes. Solly March. There's two fit wingers. But again argument falls down, as we player Buckley, who clearly is not fit! If he was 100% fit, then we may as well sell or release him as he's a drain on resources. I've listed three strikers. Leo obviously starts, if we have to, the spare one could play on the wing. They are out of position anyway.

The squad today was decimated by injuries/illness and we had absolutely no options on the bench. No options on the bench!! He had his standng 60 minutes sub Kaz on the bench. Or are you seriously suggesting that all season LuaLua is only capable of 30 minutes a week? Ask him! I'll sure he'll tell you otherwise! Everyones using Crofts absence as an excuse for Garica. Yet the closest replacement we have WAS NOT EVEN ON THE ****ING BENCH!! Oscar chose to leave Dale Stephens out of the squad. Dunno whats happen to Kemy. He may be injured. But certainly hasn't been all season. For whatever reason he's out of favour with Garcia. Has been most of the year.

The players who were on the pitch put in a shocking performance.Yes they did. Because they are being asked to play a system that is beyond them. Looking at their body language would suggest that they are as pissed off with it as the 10000 or so that walked out early yesterday.

But you just keep your blinkers on, and try and explain a system as if you are the oracle of NSC, because most football people on here get it. We understand it. I just fail to understand why such a system is being deployed at a failing championship team, with players that are not good enough to play it.

If like me to stayed until the final whistle yesterday, you would have seen how many were left in the ground. That is the hard core support. They will be there week in week out. If we continue to play Oscars brand, we will look like a lot of other championship ground, half full.

That is what will happen IMO if we continue to play the way we have this season. Yesterday was terrible. But in eyes, its wasn't much worse than the rest of the season.

After witnessing the boos and mass walk out yesterday. Do you still think I am in the minority?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It's clear that passing style takes years of practise and for us i think that goal will be achieved through our academy! If we get this right it could well be Oscars true legacy at our club. It's going to take time though, frustrating it maybe but i'd rather see our club striving for elegant football within a budget then some of the other styles that pass for football. That will keep my interest for years to come. UTA
We don't have years. Just looking at the east and North stands yesterday, there were an alarming amount of seats not used. If we have to sit through years of this to get the end result, by the time we get there, we'll be down to the 10 thousand hard core fans, and that will not be enough. (Unless we are all willing to pay 2 grand each for a season ticket)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Oh here we go!

Didn't take long for the name calling to start. Moron. Neanderthal! Funny how someone who can't win an argument or has a different opinion to someone else has to resort to name calling. Very sad. But I'll try and keep is polite even if you can't. I don't need someone lik to to explain possession football to me thank you very much. I understand it fully. You only need to watch Barcelona to see ho its played. IMO its boring. I dont enjoy it. But would certainly enjoy it more, if I got to sit at the Amex, and see that class of player play it and get us results. But when I see Brighton and Hove Albion atempt it, it borders on the laughable in my opinion. Everyones got the hump about yesterday, as I have, but that is all we can expect with a group of championship players.

Again, that is not a dig at the players. I feel they are good enough to be up there with Burnley, not battling it out with Bournemouth!

You're next point, which you do like to hark on about. should go to up front with wingers. Oh who would that be? the wingers who can't play a full 90 minutes? with the striker who was declared fit only this morning.David Rodriguez is a striker. Jesse Lingard is a striker. Leo Ulloa is a striker. There's three to pick from.

Winger. LuaLua. I'm sure if you ask him he'll tell he can play 90 minutes. Solly March. There's two fit wingers. But again argument falls down, as we player Buckley, who clearly is not fit! If he was 100% fit, then we may as well sell or release him as he's a drain on resources. I've listed three strikers. Leo obviously starts, if we have to, the spare one could play on the wing. They are out of position anyway.

The squad today was decimated by injuries/illness and we had absolutely no options on the bench. No options on the bench!! He had his standng 60 minutes sub Kaz on the bench. Or are you seriously suggesting that all season LuaLua is only capable of 30 minutes a week? Ask him! I'll sure he'll tell you otherwise! Everyones using Crofts absence as an excuse for Garica. Yet the closest replacement we have WAS NOT EVEN ON THE ****ING BENCH!! Oscar chose to leave Dale Stephens out of the squad. Dunno whats happen to Kemy. He may be injured. But certainly hasn't been all season. For whatever reason he's out of favour with Garcia. Has been most of the year.

The players who were on the pitch put in a shocking performance.Yes they did. Because they are being asked to play a system that is beyond them. Looking at their body language would suggest that they are as pissed off with it as the 10000 or so that walked out early yesterday.

But you just keep your blinkers on, and try and explain a system as if you are the oracle of NSC, because most football people on here get it. We understand it. I just fail to understand why such a system is being deployed at a failing championship team, with players that are not good enough to play it.

If like me to stayed until the final whistle yesterday, you would have seen how many were left in the ground. That is the hard core support. They will be there week in week out. If we continue to play Oscars brand, we will look like a lot of other championship ground, half full.

That is what will happen IMO if we continue to play the way we have this season. Yesterday was terrible. But in eyes, its wasn't much worse than the rest of the season.

After witnessing the boos and mass walk out yesterday. Do you still think I am in the minority?

Wow you really do get excited don't you?

OOOOOOOO we lost again, it vindicates the bile you spout on NSC. I know why don't you launch into a incoherent stream of nonsense AGAIN.

BTW It took ages for the name calling to start, and the reason it did is because I was trying to be patient. I won't be responding to the points in your post and you can take that as big WIN if you like. OR you could take it for what it is; that I cannot be bothered to point out to you the inconsistency and factual inaccuracies in order for you to completely ignore them.

Enjoy yourself, there's only a little bit of time left before the next game. We might lose again, then you can come on and explain how we could do so much better with your glorious insights into the squad.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

OOOOOOOO we lost again, it vindicates the bile you spout on NSC. I know why don't you launch into a incoherent stream of nonsense AGAIN.

BTW It took ages for the name calling to start, and the reason it did is because I was trying to be patient. I won't be responding to the points in your post and you can take that as big WIN if you like. OR you could take it for what it is; that I cannot be bothered to point out to you the inconsistency and factual inaccuracies in order for you to completely ignore them.

Enjoy yourself, there's only a little bit of time left before the next game. We might lose again, then you can come on and explain how we could do so much better with your glorious insights into the squad.

maybe I misheard the things said at the start of the season
OG =attacking football
OG =shoot on site whenever possible
Bloom =hope to get into the top six...........still possible but we could have been there long ago
we play like Spain
which did happen for the first few months
its a system that will never work
because we do not have the players with the intelligence, not their fault, we had a great Spanish player last season that was head and shoulders above all the other players in the squad, but one player is not enough to get us up (nearly did though).
people are paying a lot of money to watch shite and not a few times but now on a regular basis, they are entitled to boo,complain and show their displeasure at having to watch rubbish when they know the team are better than that and could have been well entrenched in the top six with the chance to go up. you will notice I said chance, so if by some small chance we do get up with some, no sorry with a lot of luck then everyone at the club are going to have to pull their fingers out and start performing somewhat better than they are now.
and one last comment if they stay in the championship at home games and keep playing like they are now you will literally be able to count the crowd by the end of the match.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lies, damn lies and statistics as they say.

We have more wins under Oscar than under Gus at the same point in the season, the same points as at the same stage as last season, conceded fewer goals than at the same stage last season, have had 10 less shots at goal with 9 still to play than we had in the whole of last season. Goals scored, shots on target, and games lost are all a little worse.
So Oscar is doing OK in comparison to Gus in my book, and he isn't whining about only having the 15th biggest budget whilst doing it.

Isn't he?
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-time-to-change-form-1458049.aspx

Davidor

Jan 14, 2014
Coldean
If we get to the playoffs! and get promoted, he will silence most of those people that moaned about him, time to judge is the end of the season.Or the next one. who would want to come here anyway? seems no money to spend! Perhaps Harry will come and save us lol .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The sqaud was probably missing 10% of it's players yes, most teams are at this stage of the season.

No options: March, LuaLua, Rodriguez, Calderon, Dunk, JFC, Ankergen. All are experienced players. If they're not good enough that's really the Coach's fault

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The sqaud was probably missing 10% of it's players yes, most teams are at this stage of the season.

No options: March, LuaLua, Rodriguez, Calderon, Dunk, JFC, Ankergen. All are experienced players. If they're not good enough that's really the Coach's fault
Don't say that to JCL666. He only likes to see what he wants to see. Don't dare to tell him the truth. He's not ready to face facts yet bless him!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

March and JFC..i wouldn't say that experienced...also Rod has none in the championship and u've mentioned Ankers..outfield option?..However, i do agree with your comment over expecting to be missing players at this end of the season.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Is that won't reply, because can't reply. So many people on here love to try and come over as the oracle of football, yet when pushed follow the same route.

Call the poster a moron
Tell them they cant be bothered any more
Accuse them of ignoring points, whilst ignoring direct questions themselves.

JCL666 you are the classic know all cyber bully

If you can bring your inflated ego back down to earth, can you answer the ladies and gentlemen a couple of simple questions.

Do you believe, a full strength 2013-2014 Brighton squad, would play the same system that Oscar has deloyed at the moment?

Do you believe, it that is the case, that those players are good enough to play that system?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here