Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the radio man to ask Oscar.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
do you think people define attacking football as more direct? Playing with more ''attacking'' players...more gung ho approach?...i'm sure all this was discussed by the OP after the Sheff Wed game

Definitely the gung ho thing, I think people mistake "exciting" with attacking.

For example... How often do you hear "Why do we only play like that for the last ten minutes when we're chasing a game?"

The answer is because it's incredibly risky and if you play in an open style, the opposition can and will counter attack.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, if we play the same way against Borough tomorrow and draw and blank, I think you will find that a lot of people do!

You shouldn't confuse boring with frustration at not hitting the back of the net.

I feel I understand what we are trying to do on the pitch, we are creating chances but we just have to get better as a team and learn from mistakes.

I also don't believe that going 442 will stop players slicing and scuffing shots, or passing when they should shoot or shoot when they should pass.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Definitely the gung ho thing, I think people mistake "exciting" with attacking.

For example... How often do you hear "Why do we only play like that for the last ten minutes when we're chasing a game?"

The answer is because it's incredibly risky and if you play in an open style, the opposition can and will counter attack.

Thats what i was thinking.....although there are moments when we could perhaps be more direct (which we have been doing more regularly this season)...and we can be masters of how to turn attack into defence.
i haven't got a problem with the way we play...it doesn't mean that i don't think it can't be improved ...but until we start hitting the net with more regularity it will always be open to criticism

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Oscar does not say he will go home and play golf if we don't like it.

Oscar does allow the players to knock a long ball over the top or through from deep if the opposition press us high up the field, this is the plan B I wanted to see from Gus.

So Gus's plan A scored 69 goals in a season, and Oscars plans A&B are on course to score 45-47.
And the plan B of long ball is the plan B that everybody talked about?? Rrrrriigght ok.

Give me the golf-swinging mouthpiece any day.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think Oscar is just as arrogant as Poyet. The difference is Oscar is likeable and not in your face with it, whereas Poyet came over as a first class prick.

What has Oscar said that has made him likeable? Yes he hasn't said he wants to fvck off to Chelsea anytime soon, but we also haven't been wowed by his dazzling personality have we?

And maybe Poyet was an arrogant prick, but that doesn't suddenly mean that things are better under Oscar, because the clearly aren't. The stats don't lie as they say.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So Gus's plan A scored 69 goals in a season, and Oscars plans A&B are on course to score 45-47.
And the plan B of long ball is the plan B that everybody talked about?? Rrrrriigght ok.

If you can't get through them with short passes or pacy wingers, what is left but longer through balls either over the top or on the ground?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What has Oscar said that has made him likeable? Yes he hasn't said he wants to fvck off to Chelsea anytime soon, but we also haven't been wowed by his dazzling personality have we?

And maybe Poyet was an arrogant prick, but that doesn't suddenly mean that things are better under Oscar, because the clearly aren't. The stats don't lie as they say.

Lies, damn lies and statistics as they say.

We have more wins under Oscar than under Gus at the same point in the season, the same points as at the same stage as last season, conceded fewer goals than at the same stage last season, have had 10 less shots at goal with 9 still to play than we had in the whole of last season. Goals scored, shots on target, and games lost are all a little worse.
So Oscar is doing OK in comparison to Gus in my book, and he isn't whining about only having the 15th biggest budget whilst doing it.

From this point Gus won 5 and drew 4 to the end of season and finished fourth, lost to Palace, told us we had hit the ceiling, told the players he was leaving and obviously did not fancy our chances this season with FFP.

I don't believe Gus would have done any better with the injuries and losses to the squad that Oscar has had, Gus had some momentum, Oscar has had to work with players he has just met, and some of whom were pining for their old boss.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Where as anyone said plan b is long ball.

Everyone want a plan b, but I think its misleading for your to say everyone wants long ball!! Why would they. We have the players to play football. Why play hoofball.

There is a massive amounts of different way to play from Oscars style, to long ball.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I don't believe Gus would have done any better with the injuries and losses to the squad that Oscar has had, Gus had some momentum, Oscar has had to work with players he has just met, and some of whom were pining for their old boss.

I agree with that. If Poyet was in charge, I think we'd be lower mid table. I'll give Oscar credit there!!!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
If you can't get through them with short passes or pacy wingers, what is left but longer through balls either over the top or on the ground?

Where as anyone said plan b is long ball.

Everyone want a plan b, but I think its misleading for your to say everyone wants long ball!! Why would they. We have the players to play football. Why play hoofball.

There is a massive amounts of different way to play from Oscars style, to long ball.

Gus used to get pilloried for not having a 'plan B' - whatever that is. Has anybody seen anything like an alternative to our way of playing this season, much like last?

Oscar does not say he will go home and play golf if we don't like it.

Oscar does allow the players to knock a long ball over the top or through from deep if the opposition press us high up the field, this is the plan B I wanted to see from Gus.

I've quoted ALL of the above, not because I agree or disagree with any main points, but because they talk about alternative ways of playing and you might find this article interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...writers/sid_lowe/07/09/spain.final/index.html

I think that illustrates the style that is Oscar looking to implement, and to be fair I think Gus tried it too. Play through them, but should the opportunity arise, quick direct elements as well.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
What do you disagree with?

You think that having the ball more than the opposition is defending?

Defending by it's definition is to resist an attack. To attack the other team need the ball. Or are you saying that we are defending when we have the ball and they are attacking when they don't?

There is a difference between defending and being negative. Also by selectively quoting you have missed the most important thing. The point of possession football is to work the ball into an area where you can then shoot.

I think the idea that you have to be constantly working the ball forward is wrong. In possession football the team constantly have the INTENTION of moving the ball forward, but should only do so if the opportunity to move it forward does not risk losing possession, or the risk is outweighed by a high percentage goal scoring opportunity.

This may sound convoluted, but it's actual based on systems theory. Plus if you're someone who plays poker successfully using a tight aggressive strategy, then possession football makes complete sense.
That's why we will always disagree.

I like my wingers to play on the wing, and my striker to play as strikers. I like a striking partnerships.

You enjoy the "poker strategy" side of football. I'm sorry but that does not make entertaining football, any more than Poker makes entertaining television. Yes, there is a niche of people like enjoy it, but if you are trying to fill a 31000 stadium week in week out, you'll come unstuck, as I think we will if continue it for another year, because IMO it will never work in the Championship even with the top championship players I feel we have. If it wasn't for very clever (almost unfair) marketing, I think the season ticket take up next season would have fallen. If we stick with the current formation, I feel we will miss out next season, and unless we are firmly in the promotion race, I think the crowds will drop, purely because of lack of entertain, which I think the masses want, as opposed to your "Poker" style football.

I really hope we win today, because I feel if you draw another blank without working their keeper, as much as I hate to hear it in a ground and wont be joining in, I think Oscar is going to start to come in for some serious abuse.

To me possession football makes no sense at the moment. Why? We are outside the play offs struggling to score, Burnley could go top today and are as good as in the Premiership already. I feel we have a better squad than Burnley. And I feel despite injuries (we still had the players, Oscar never played them, i.e Lita) I think our squad is good enough to be up there with them.

But we will never agree, because I like exciting football, you like strategic "poker" football. I feel I'm in the majority!........ must remember to take my blow up pillow with me this afternoon!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I've quoted ALL of the above, not because I agree or disagree with any main points, but because they talk about alternative ways of playing and you might find this article interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...writers/sid_lowe/07/09/spain.final/index.html

I think that illustrates the style that is Oscar looking to implement, and to be fair I think Gus tried it too. Play through them, but should the opportunity arise, quick direct elements as well.
Haven't got time to read all that. But I d not doubt the system, an "poker" football works. Absolutely no doubt what so ever.

However, I do not think it is suited to a squad of championship players. That is why I want my manager to play to the strengths of the players available. That is my problem. When we have player good enough to play the Spanish way, then play it. Until then play the championship way, and its clear to me, we dont and will always struggle. Play a similair formation to Leicester and Burnley, and I feel we would be up there with them.

One quick question for you. Watching Leo Ulloa play, do you think he is suited to playing as a lone isolated striker?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I like my wingers to play on the wing, and my striker to play as strikers. I like a striking partnerships.

You enjoy the "poker strategy" side of football. I'm sorry but that does not make entertaining football, any more than Poker makes entertaining television. Yes, there is a niche of people like enjoy it, but if you are trying to fill a 31000 stadium week in week out, you'll come unstuck, as I think we will if continue it for another year, because IMO it will never work in the Championship even with the top championship players I feel we have. If it wasn't for very clever (almost unfair) marketing, I think the season ticket take up next season would have fallen. If we stick with the current formation, I feel we will miss out next season, and unless we are firmly in the promotion race, I think the crowds will drop, purely because of lack of entertain, which I think the masses want, as opposed to your "Poker" style football.

I really hope we win today, because I feel if you draw another blank without working their keeper, as much as I hate to hear it in a ground and wont be joining in, I think Oscar is going to start to come in for some serious abuse.

To me possession football makes no sense at the moment. Why? We are outside the play offs struggling to score, Burnley could go top today and are as good as in the Premiership already. I feel we have a better squad than Burnley. And I feel despite injuries (we still had the players, Oscar never played them, i.e Lita) I think our squad is good enough to be up there with them.

But we will never agree, because I like exciting football, you like strategic "poker" football. I feel I'm in the majority!........ must remember to take my blow up pillow with me this afternoon!!

:lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Burnley dont play a classic 442. They play with an advanced and a supporting strike partnership with support.

As a 442 formation. Just like Liverpool and it's working for them as well.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
People would go nuts if we changed our kit colours or moved to another town but are happy to change our style and philosophy. This is how we play, it is part of the club.

I imagine they would go nuts about the colours and town because those things have been around for a long time, what over a hundred years? Yet, the apparent philosophy has been here for four seasons.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

We won't agree because you won't actually answer the question directly.

However the one thing that is clearly different between your view and mine, is that your opinion has nothing to back it up. You keep talking about the style of football and the number of goals we score, which I have tried to explain to you. For example I've actually referred to the stats showing the number of shots we have had.

I think when you say attacking football, you mean exciting football, which actually translates to higher risk. There is a reason why a number of managers and teams do not play like that. It's the high risk bit.

BTW I enjoy a lot of things about football and also I like different styles of play. What's good about that is that it means I can enjoy and appreciate different aspects of the game rather than this "It's not the football I like so therefore it's not entertaining" attitude.

You say you're in the majority, and that it's down to clever marketing that numbers haven't declined. I say there's nothing to back that up, except for your opinion. Have a look at the polls etc on NSC. Even in this micro example of BHA support, you are in the minority. Sorry about that.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As a 442 formation. Just like Liverpool and it's working for them as well.

Liverpool do not play 442, they play 433

http://eplindex.com/27884/scouting-report-liverpool-stats-tactical-analysis.html

"Team set up in a fluid 4x3x3 with clear idea of how they want to play and how to adapt to different defensive pressure in different areas of the pitch from the opposition.
Look to play with initiative and control the game.
Very good dynamics and mobility to use in offensive play, with mobility from all 3 attacking players to interchange, come deep and stretch defence with runs into depth. Also mobility from Gerrard and Allen to drop deep and break lines to support attack.
In first phase & second phase they look to play short from the back [goalkeeper good with feet]. The centre backs will split, full-backs will be high + wide to create big and open pitch. Lucas will also drop between the centre backs to help gain the initiative & help the build up and progression of play from the back. Gerrard & Allen will split and go on the outside of the opposition central midfielders and Suarez will drop in between lines to draw the opposition defensive line further from goal to create depth to exploit."

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We won't agree because you won't actually answer the question directly.

However the one thing that is clearly different between your view and mine, is that your opinion has nothing to back it up. You keep talking about the style of football and the number of goals we score, which I have tried to explain to you. For example I've actually referred to the stats showing the number of shots we have had.

I think when you say attacking football, you mean exciting football, which actually translates to higher risk. There is a reason why a number of managers and teams do not play like that. It's the high risk bit.

BTW I enjoy a lot of things about football and also I like different styles of play. What's good about that is that it means I can enjoy and appreciate different aspects of the game rather than this "It's not the football I like so therefore it's not entertaining" attitude.

You say you're in the majority, and that it's down to clever marketing that numbers haven't declined. I say there's nothing to back that up, except for your opinion. Have a look at the polls etc on NSC. Even in this micro example of BHA support, you are in the minority. Sorry about that.
You can go on about stats all day.

I'll bring up our last home game. 23 shots I think was quoted somewhere. You claim thats a fact to back up the formation works.

Well, I saw the game with my owns eyes, and saw their goalkeeper make one reasonable save from Lingards volley. That's my opinion. But think that is also a fact.

So the point is, your "poker" football may produce lovely stats, but in real life if all they produce is one half chance shot on target, I would contend that they are not working.

I am be the minority in this, as you put it, micro example of BHA support, but again in real life, if you go to games and listen to the buzz in the ground, I would say I am in the majority. And I think if you put in our usual "poker" performance today and draw a blank, you may see that I may be correct about that, as I think the crowd is on the verge of turning.

Sorry about that!

One direct question for you. Do you think Leo Ulloa is suited to playing the lone/isolated striker role?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here