Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs open from 22 June?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Due to our totally incompetent government, for the past month or so I have been making my own sensible rules as much as I can.
Did I need to queue for miles as soon as McDonald's or KFC opened, no.
Just because the sun was out, did I need to flock down to the beach, no.
And neither did anyone else,it was far from a necessity, it was a look at me, I'm doing what I want on day one exercise.
So do I want to go back to a pub, of course I do, but do I want to go there when it's full of look at me idiots celebrating like it's the biggest ever new year's eve, no I certainly do not.
I will wait for it to calm down a bit and then it will be outside drinking for me.
I'm in no rush and my ale is perfectly acceptable out of a bottle in my back yard with a cigar on the go.

Very sensible.
This hasn't gone away ( although many are behaving as if it has ) and it will come back. The authorities know it will return and they know a winter lockdown is a possibility. They want the economy back as soon as possible, to get 4-5 months of money rolling back into the Exchequer before its crunch time again. It will be easier to lockdown in the winter months. People spend more time indoors, days are shorter, less outside attractions, less holidays etc.
Like yourself, I am in no hurry to visit a pub, a beach, a football ground or take a holiday. They can all wait many months. Those eager to rush back to pubs clearly have a relaxed mindset over this virus and see little or no danger. I am still in cautious mode. I wear gloves and mask in public places, limit contact wherever possible and stay at home as much as I can.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Can’t see I would go to a pub for many months yet, with social distancing capacity will be limited and the decent pubs on a nice day showing football will probably have queues to get in before they open, better off in my garden.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011

This will be mine for the foreseeable future
c2fe5b6d5935869539509c8e8d3aa9b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Can’t see I would go to a pub for many months yet, with social distancing capacity will be limited and the decent pubs on a nice day showing football will probably have queues to get in before they open, better off in my garden.

What Social Distancing?

Watching the news the last few days there has been so many mass gatherings for things like the recent protests, not to mention the masses flocking to the beach when the sun comes out, it seems to me that vast numbers of people have taken it upon themselves to just do what they want.

As soon as the pubs re-open, effective social distancing will practically be a thing of the past. Personally, like you, I am in no rush to get back to the pubs (especially having shed 2 stone during the lockdown).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What Social Distancing?

Watching the news the last few days there has been so many mass gatherings for things like the recent protests, not to mention the masses flocking to the beach when the sun comes out, it seems to me that vast numbers of people have taken it upon themselves to just do what they want.

As soon as the pubs re-open, effective social distancing will practically be a thing of the past. Personally, like you, I am in no rush to get back to the pubs (especially having shed 2 stone during the lockdown).

Well done on the 2 stone [emoji106] if McDonald’s etc are anything to go by then yes there will be q’s to get in which really puts me off.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As much as I would love a pint of Guinness again, when the pubs reopen it'll be dickhead central inside and outside of them. Social distancing and alcohol don't work together and the prospect of queuing up outside to get served by someone wearing PPE.......I'll give it a miss I think.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Due to our totally incompetent government, for the past month or so I have been making my own sensible rules as much as I can.
Did I need to queue for miles as soon as McDonald's or KFC opened, no.
Just because the sun was out, did I need to flock down to the beach, no.
And neither did anyone else,it was far from a necessity, it was a look at me, I'm doing what I want on day one exercise.
So do I want to go back to a pub, of course I do, but do I want to go there when it's full of look at me idiots celebrating like it's the biggest ever new year's eve, no I certainly do not.
I will wait for it to calm down a bit and then it will be outside drinking for me.
I'm in no rush and my ale is perfectly acceptable out of a bottle in my back yard with a cigar on the go.

100%, except the cigar

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As much as I would love a pint of Guinness again, when the pubs reopen it'll be dickhead central inside and outside of them. Social distancing and alcohol don't work together and the prospect of queuing up outside to get served by someone wearing PPE.......I'll give it a miss I think.

Yep, would rather get friends round for a drink in a controlled environment. More concerned about lack of schools opening TBH, really damaging for those on the fringes...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Should just open Wetherspoons, no restrictions, for a month and then monitor the death rate. Entrance subject to signing a DNR.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In the rush to go back I hope everyone remembers which pub chains have acted like twats during this crisis (Wetherspoons etc.) and will vote with their feet accordingly. Otherwise all those nice words about sticking up for the little guy are just those, words.

How long will that moral stance last when you have the choice of a pint for £1.99 at Spoons or £4.50 at the little guy?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Very sensible.
This hasn't gone away ( although many are behaving as if it has ) and it will come back. The authorities know it will return and they know a winter lockdown is a possibility. They want the economy back as soon as possible, to get 4-5 months of money rolling back into the Exchequer before its crunch time again. It will be easier to lockdown in the winter months. People spend more time indoors, days are shorter, less outside attractions, less holidays etc.
Like yourself, I am in no hurry to visit a pub, a beach, a football ground or take a holiday. They can all wait many months. Those eager to rush back to pubs clearly have a relaxed mindset over this virus and see little or no danger. I am still in cautious mode. I wear gloves and mask in public places, limit contact wherever possible and stay at home as much as I can.

**** off with your sensible talk, you have no place here on NSC... :D

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well done on the 2 stone [emoji106] if McDonald’s etc are anything to go by then yes there will be q’s to get in which really puts me off.

Not much of a queue yesterday at 5.30 ....no doubt people put off with talk of queues ..which has led to shorter ones....until they hear about them which will lead to longer ones etc etc

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree about a lot of the cabinet ( Rishi Sunak a notable exception ) but I still think Boris is getting a bit of a rough deal. The poor devil very nearly died and is still, clearly very much under par. He looks pale, drawn and his eyes are sunken. To rush back after about a week's recuperation was complete madness. Recoverers from Covid 19 are being advised to take it very easy for 3-4 months and the long term effects will last well beyond that.
The NZ PM is an impressive woman but I would liked to have seen her controlling affairs here or in the USA as opposed to a country that is not an international hub and has a population barely half the size of London and no real density as such.

Have you a link to where you have read that

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
My son manages a Toby Carvery, he's been told July 4th, At the earliest.

Same company as me - Different brand. Been told we wont open on the 4th as opening the first time on a Saturday would be a bit of a nightmare. I tend to agree.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We're going to phase open our pubs. The industry is trying to lobby government to reduce the 2m rule to the WHO recommendations, as currently a lot of smaller pubs won't be able to trade with the current regs.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One thing I can say for sure, there won't be any vertical drinking allowed in pubs for some time to come. Which will be a little strange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here