Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs open from 22 June?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With the social distancing in place, it will be a soulless and cold experience, saw the one in Manchester and it was like going to hospital for an operation. Not for me, I will doing my drinking at home

Pubs are open with social distancing rules in Berlin, they’re not soulless....far from it.

As aside it was announced the other day Berlin pubs can now open without any restrictions to their hours.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Pubs are open with social distancing rules in Berlin, they’re not soulless....far from it.

As aside it was announced the other day Berlin pubs can now open without any restrictions to their hours.

From what I've heard, our German brand has coped quite well with all the restrictions. Bodes well for us hopefully.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From what I've heard, our German brand has coped quite well with all the restrictions. Bodes well for us hopefully.

Your German brand? Which brand? Just being nosey.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Yes, hopefully, but have you noticed that too many people in this country are incapable of doing the right and sensible thing and that's when they are sober.
Ok, a nice country pub in Sussex and it should be ok but a city centre pub in Plymouth or in one of our less desirable areas, not a cat in hells chance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's the one I'd seen and referenced earlier in the thread. It's just not worth the hassle, personally.

If I can go and sit in a beer garden with a relative sense of normality, I may be inclined to do so, but if that's what the short-term future of indoor drinking and dining looks like then it's not for me.

I’m struggling to see what the “hassle” is? You are allowed to meet another household right? Just meet up with them, sit down and enjoy some drinks and maybe food. Sure there won’t be as many people in the venue, but if all the tables are full there will still be a buzz. How much does this differ from what you normally do?

I have been out numerous times, to numerous bars...and often I rarely even notice any difference once I’ve forgotten the staff have masks on.

One other thing to add. These venues need our custom more than ever. You choose to stay at home you might lose the venue. Sitting down with some mates and enjoying some drinks isn’t the toughest of gigs in the world..get out there! Your country needs you!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's the one I'd seen and referenced earlier in the thread. It's just not worth the hassle, personally.

If I can go and sit in a beer garden with a relative sense of normality, I may be inclined to do so, but if that's what the short-term future of indoor drinking and dining looks like then it's not for me.

That's it Bozza. Looks absolutely awful. Going out is mean't to be fun

The purpose of that video was to clearly labour the point regarding the wide range of measures that would be taken upon re-opening of the venue. I don't believe that punters entering there would be subject to the same verbose explanations every step of the way.

And, once in, it would feel like you happen to be in a pub that's just not particularly busy. And, as an older gentleman, that sounds preferable to the place being absolutely rammed with 5-deep queues at the bar.

In short, I think if you visited somewhere like that, you'd still have a fine old time.

I’m struggling to see what the “hassle” is? You are allowed to meet another household right? Just meet up with them, sit down and enjoy some drinks and food. Sure there won’t be as many people in the venue, but if all the tables are full there will still be a buzz. How much does this differ from what you normally do?

Well, no. Right now the only meeting of other households we can do is...

- No more than six people.
- Outdoors.
- Remain two metres away from those you don't live with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, no. Right now the only meeting of other households we can do is...

- No more than six people.
- Outdoors.
- Remain two metres away from those you don't live with.

Okay dokey. Hopefully this will relax if pubs are to open inside? Be a bit crap if you have to keep going out with the partner every single night.

I totally agree with the rest of your post

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Okay dokey. Hopefully this will relax if pubs are to open inside? Be a bit crap if you have to keep going out with the partner every single night.

I totally agree with the rest of your post

I imagine we could see the restrictions on social meet-ups relaxed imminently. It will be getting a bit weird when from Monday the shops are open and presumably Gov want people to frequent them which will involve travel to and from and mixing with others in stores, but social meet-ups are still so tightly restricted. E.g. if you had a parent and they are housebound without a garden you are currently blocked from going inside to see them. They will have to chill that out surely?

Maybe just put a limit on a maximum number of people meeting together e.g. 20, and let people make their own decisions about who they meet with, inside or out.

We must be heading for something like that soon if they want us to be wandering around Primark from Monday?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Boris has just said single people will be able to mix with other households; the pubs will be full of well oiled singles absolutely gagging for it after 3 months of nothing; what do you think now ?

I have just ordered a new sweater and some fancy cologne. See you down there?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Boris has just said single people will be able to mix with other households; the pubs will be full of well oiled singles absolutely gagging for it after 3 months of nothing; what do you think now ?

I have just ordered a new sweater and some fancy cologne. See you down there?

Appreciate all the effort you’ve gone to there - you’re just not my type...

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
New infections are pretty low here in Japan still but the majority of new clusters are bars. People here wear masks or face coverings most of the time, other than when they're in a bar, where people speak more animatedly and produce more droplets. That suggests face coverings do really help prevent the spread but it also makes me very worried for England once the pubs/bars reopen. Be very careful folks and stay safe.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Think we are lucky that we are at this stage with 3 months or so of summer weather ahead. For pubs that manage to get outdoor seating in place will be able to facilitate this and will help people get used to being out and about.

Indoor spaces more of a challenge- will be interesting to see how keen people are to get indoors in pubs and restaurants etc. The 2 household limit is surely pointless- and won’t be followed. 3 mates can’t go to the pub together- but when the permitted 2 mates get there - they are a room with 100 people from different households? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Wondered why GDPR was trending on Twitter - turns out is an excellent point. Having decided after months that they can't develop a GDPR compliant track and trace system, the government have told pubs they have 10 days to design and implement their own GDPR compliant track and trace system. Good news for Dido - more money for old rope.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don’t think the governments issue was a GDPR track / trace system was it ? It was a working one

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Had my first pint(s) of draught beer since lockdown from a local pub (takeaway) and sat in the adjoining park with friends it was really nice to have a sense of normality. Of course the nice weather helps. Not sure how many pubs are going to be able to enforce the high standards needed, especially when a few have had too many, but I suppose it’s about picking the right venue. To be honest I suppose that’s not much different to normal.
I’ll be looking for pubs with an outdoor option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here